Sony BDP-S580 multi region DVD hack with URC-3440

lr101fc

Standard Member
Reaction score
Thanks to Whirlybat for his earlier post :)

I have a Sony BDP-S580. I had bought it under the understanding that it was already DVD multiregion or region free. :oops:

After unpacking and setting up, I tried a region 2 disc, all worked OK. Followed by a region 1 disc - error message that disc could not be accessed due to region coding - not a happy bunny ! :mad:

So I then followed whirlybat's earlier post (the same one I used for my Sony BDP-S470) with an One for All remote URC-3440 to make it multi region. I used the following instructions with the additional leading 0's that whirlybat used for his 7562 remote and the hack worked first time :clap:

Quote whirlybat "Ok I worked it out. For the 7562 remote you need to add 00 to the key setting numbers given in the first post"

"They don't appear to have the 7040 model at Argos so this might help somebody" :smashin: - It helped me :)

Programming the 7562 OneforAll remote to enable region free playback of DVD’s on the Sony BDP-S350

Also programming the URC-3440 remote for the Sony BDP-S580 to enable region free playback of DVDs only.

Quote:
1. Press DVD
2. Hold the magic button until the DVD button flashes twice.
3. Press 000533

4. Hold the magic button until the DVD button flashes twice.
5. Press 994
6. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
7. Press 001891 (this sets key 1 – the DVD button flashes twice)

8. Hold the magic button until the DVD button flashes twice.
9. Press 994
10. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
11. Press 002552 (this sets key 2 – the DVD button flashes twice)

12. Hold the magic button until the DVD button flashes twice.
13. Press 994
14. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
15. Press 000953 (this sets key 3 – the DVD button flashes twice)

16. Hold the magic button until the DVD button flashes twice.
17. Press 994
18. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
19. Press 002214 (this sets key 4 – the DVD button flashes twice)

20. Hold the magic button until the DVD button flashes twice. .
21. Press 994
22. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
23. Press 000795 (this sets key 5 – the DVD button flashes twice)

Done - the remote is now programmed and ready to use

Quote:
1. Now to make your player region free use the Sony remote that came with the player to bring it out of standby and wait while HOME is displayed
2. Make sure there isn't a disc in the machine.
3. Now on the OneforAll remote press 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (The blue 24p light on the player will start flashing)
4. Put the player back into standby with the Sony remote
5. That’s it, the next time you turn on the player it will be region free for DVD playback

If the blue 24p light doesn’t flash then it hasn’t worked, try a new set of batteries and start a fresh

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I can't find these remotes for sale anywhere, are there any hacks for the Sony BDP-S580 on anything else?:lease:

Please any one can help me how to use Logitech Harmony 525 as one4all URC-3440:lease:

I want to hack Sony BDP-S580 (USA Model)

Thank you

usa players can't be hacked i am afraid.

Hello,

I own a BDPS580 I tried to make it multi region using a 7562 remote and although programming the remote works properly, the dvd player itself doesn't register when I press, 1,2,3,4 and 5 at the end. After pressing these and putting my region 1 it comes up with the playback prohibited because of region code error. Am I using the right remote? or do I need different codes for the player? I followed all instructions in this post accurately and even changed the batteries for the remote although it flashes when it is supposed to etc,.?

Any advice greatly appreciated,

Kind Regards

Becca

The correct method is take player out of standby, press 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 then put into standby again. Then the blue light should flash. Finally disconnect from the mains to stop the flashing blue light. Worked first time for me.

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to give an update. Well, the hack works for me now, I used a one for all URC-7562 remote on the sony BDPS580 (uk model), I followed the instructions as outlined here but as you know from my previous post it wasn't working.

I discovered why......It wasn't working because I had my sony ps3 and sony ps2 connected. I disconnected them from the mains leaving only the dvd player connected and tried the hack again and it worked perfectly on first try!!! :)

It may seems obvious to some people that you may need to disconnect your other sony things but I kept them connected before and it appears they were all conflicting with the hack. Hope this post helps other people who maybe canny figure out why this wasn't working for them before.

Becca

Hi, thanks for this. I just used this hack with a One-for-all URC-7950 on a BDP-S480, it worked with just one tweak, in step 3 I just entered 0533 (without the other 2 leading zeros). All other steps were exactly as above (the DVD button doesn't flash on the 7950, the power button does instead).

I had brought the s580 from the states to the Jordan where im staying now, it worked fine at first, now it cannoct access youtube and other video services due to region control... any tips?!?

I used URC-7140 and the hack worked with it. First code is four-digit (0533 which is Sony dvd-players code) and all the others are exactly the same as above. (994, 001891, 994, 002552, ...).

I suppose that the hack will work with any OFA-remote which has DVD-ability and magic button.

Last edited:
hi - i'm a noob when it comes to these universal remotes...

what can i control with them?

I have Sky HD, Sony KDL-W5710 and looking to get one of these Sony BDPS580 blu ray players

at the moment just use my Sky remote to control both Sky and tv

hi - i'm a noob when it comes to these universal remotes...

what can i control with them?

I have Sky HD, Sony KDL-W5710 and looking to get one of these Sony BDPS580 blu ray players

at the moment just use my Sky remote to control both Sky and tv
It will control those three items, you can check the one for all website for any other devices.

I've just plugged in my new S580, which I bought on the basis of it being multiregion as the suppliers website stated, and as I reconfirmed over the phone when I bought it. And guess what, it doesn't play my region 1 DVDs! So someone will be getting a call in the morning to explain what's happened.

There's not a setting or anything is there? I know there wasn't with the multiregion DVD player I've just taken out...

No setting once it has been hacked it's fully automatic. Sounds as though they 'forgot' to hack yours.

Are we completely sure the code doesn't work for the US version of this player?

Are we completely sure the code doesn't work for the US version of this player?

Yes, usa player can't even play PAL discs

No setting once it has been hacked it's fully automatic. Sounds as though they 'forgot' to hack yours.

Apparently so. PRC Direct have admitted this oversight and it's back on its way to Ilford right now. They say they "mod" it and send it straight back, all at their cost.

Mail order, fantastic until it goes wrong..

OK guys but what about BLurays?
This works for DVDs but how to proceed for BD ? :lease:

You'll need a hardware mod for blurays which will be expensive.

yep but you will still not be able to read A-Zone and C-Zone Blu-rays. TO do so, you'll have to spent another couple hundreds ....
:-( as I did ....

Almighty gods of bluray decided once that humans could not exchange each others bluray discs across continents.
As DVDs gods had used this trick once (zone 1, zone 2 etc...) but had been cheated by the wild tribe of forumists" all in one". Gods of blurays made it so hard to free their players that spending 200 gold coins to update/multiply one's hardware was required to reach culture free market. A is America, B is Europe & Africa, C is Asia. Many blu-ray discs are region free but some EXCELLENT titles edited by e.g. Criterion demand an A-player.

Owner of a B (regular player), I had to buy this A player despite my all in one remote. Not ecological, not smart, useless from a market standpoint....accelerating the fall of physical medias... Well this is god's stuff...

So even if i hack it and make it region free I still wont be able to watch Region 1/Zone A blurays?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom