Sony BDP-S570 and DLNA/Twonky

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by beneix, Nov 28, 2010.

1. beneix

beneix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have spent a couple of days (effective time) looking for answers to this but not found anything - I hope someone can help!

I have a 37EX503 and an S570. I am trying to stream video to them. The source is a QNAP NAS running Twonky. On the NAS, I have a whole load of .ts files in SD from my old Humax 9200T, I have some DIVX and XVID video and I have some MKVs.

Twonky happily sees all of these and recognizes them as video. The 37EX503 is completely useless and doesn't see anything at all playable from Twonky (though it does see music), the S570 is a bit better and can actually see the xvid-encoded .avi files and play them beautifully.

BUT I can't seem to play anything else. I am tearing my hair out, changing file extensions to see if it makes a difference (it doesn't), spending hours transcoding to other formats only to then be faced with the same stony-faced Sony user interface still not showing the file in the list... I'm happy to put more time into this but I'd like to know I'm going in the right direction. I think you need to get both the actual content encoding, the container and the file extension right, and from some other forums apparently also the resolution/aspect ratio, in order for Sony machines to accept the file as playable. So, quite a few variables to contend with.

In another thread I have found that the 37EX503 supposedly should be capable of receiving the following over DLNA:

MPEG2_PS_SD MPEG2
    MPEG2_TS_EU SD MPEG2
    MPEG2_TS_EU-T SD MPEG2
    MPEG2_TS_EU-ISO SD MPEG2
    MPEG2_PS HD MPEG2
    MPEG2_TS_EU HD MPEG2
    MPEG2_TS_EU-T HD MPEG2
    MPEG2 TS_EU-ISO HD MPEG2
    MPEG2_TS_EU SD H.264
    MPEG2_TS_EU-T SD H.264
    MPEG2_TS_EU-ISO SD H.264
    MPEG2_TS_EU HD H.264
    MPEG2_TS_EU-T HD H.264
    MPEG2_TS_EU-ISO HD H.264

I would have thought, therefore, that my SD .ts files from the Humax should be a doddle. Not so.

Other places that Google has taken me without solving the issue are here and here.

Can anyone chime in who has successfully streamed any video from Twonky to either the S570 or an EX series Bravia?