Sony BDP-S5500 Blu-ray Player Review

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Just bought this and will post my thoughts when Ive got it all set up with new system.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Tried it out today quickly. Its so small - seems like a toy! Cant comment properly yet though.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Well I tried Birdman on it and all went well, not that I expected otherwise. It seems identical to my old Sony blu-ray player in terms of performance really but does start up and play the disc quicker.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Watched Chappie on it yesterday. The extra XV colour range was detected (wasn't expecting any different though) and it looked (and sounded) superb - reference or very close indeed. Absolutely no niggles whatsoever with playback as you would expect. Not sure what else to say really as far as the player goes.

Wildsdi

Novice Member
I own a BDP-S5500 bought in Singapore and am using in India. There are no apps except Netflix, YouTube and Ustudio. Previously Opera was there but that has also disappeared. Online reviews show people having 15-20 apps. I'm particularly interested in getting Amazon Prime and Plex. The firmware has been updated to the latest M25.R.0222. It connects well to my NAS and to internet over WiFi. How do I add more apps? I've tried reinstalling the firmware but only get the message 'Already updated'. Any suggestions??