Sony BDP-S550 & Pioneer AX2AS

Violator

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Somewhat confused by specs here, hoping for some advice.

I currently have the AX2AS and looking to buy a blu-ray player. I really want DTS-MA sound to be available, hence I was looking at the BDP-S550 as it does it onboard.

I know my amp is HDMI 1.2 and doesn't natively support DTS-MA or TrueHD. My question is, will it support the audio using PCM over an HDMI connection? And is there any downside to doing it like this?

If it is possible, the 550 seems very difficult to get hold of right now and the Pioneer BDP-51FD seems a good, if slightly more expensive, alternative. Would there be any problems with this model?

Thanks in advance :)

I know my amp is HDMI 1.2 and doesn't natively support DTS-MA or TrueHD. My question is, will it support the audio using PCM over an HDMI connection?

I:)

Yes it will :thumbsup: you just need the player to decode TrueHD/DTS-MA and send over HDMI to the amp.
No DTS-MA decoding yet with the 51,should be coming by March.
All the best.

Last edited:
Yes it will :thumbsup: you just need the player to decode TrueHD/DTS-MA and send over HDMI to the amp.
All the best.

Nice one, thanks a lot :thumbsup:

All the best.

Kingfats (or anyone else), have just managed to track down a 550 should get it soon. However, with regards to your response, I've been reading conflicting stories on the net about this player and DTS-MA sound over PCM. Will I definitely get the full lossless track over PCM and not just the DTS 5.1?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom