Sony BDP-S5100 Owners Thread

robfosters

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Thought I would start a thread.

Sony's 2013 flagship player. I picked one up today. Setup was mainly easy apart from a very annoying issue whereby I was forced to plug it into a different TV to turn Control for HDMI off before it would work on my V4000. Rear inputs are simple. HDMI, Coaxial, ethernet and USB.

Spun The Dark Knight and immediately was blown away by the PQ. Now, to be fair, I have come from a PS3 which is long in the tooth, but I still did not expect such an improvement. Colours were vibrant, blacks were deep and sharpness was great. A very impressive picture.

Audio was just as impressive with plenty of depth and details easy to pick out.

There are bundles of online services, too many too mention, but the main ones being Netflix, Lovefilm, IPlayer, C5 on demand and Sky News. They are all very well integrated and certainly don't look like simple bolt on's. Navigation could have been slightly quicker though.

Also setup streaming from PC by DLNA. Everything was as smooth as could be expected. The wi-fi on this model is extremely good. I was streaming online video at around 40Mbps from my 100GB Virgin connection. More than enough for super sharp streaming.

I think the cons are mainly the menu navigation speed, the, quite frankly, absurd toblerone inspired styling and that little setup quirk. It may not affect everybody, but less knowledgeable people may find themselves quite stumped. It may be a commonplace issue with players, but it could at least be mentioned in the supplied documentation. It's also an absolute murderous dust magnet.

EDIT: After more playing, I have just noticed that the 5100 also suffers from the inability to forward or rewind on Lovefilm. Very jarring, but I just hope that Sony have been made aware and are looking for a fix.

Last edited:
Can I just ask? This players does 4k upscaling. Isn't that pretty useless for the next 3 years+ ?

Thanks for the info, the bdp 790 is still the flagship player, the s5100 replaces the s590.

Is it slow to navigate the players own menus, disc menus, or both?

I think I made a ricket in my original review tbh.

I found it sluggish with my Harmony one remote. However, I'm now thinking it is the remote rather than the player as it is silky smooth using the supplied Sony remote.

How quiet is this model?

Looking at a budget player, either the Sony S5100 or Samsung F6500. It's to supplement/replace a PS3 Slim (for BR discs), so hoping for something totally silent.

Also, can it be controlled with a 2013 Samsung tv remote via Anynet, as per the PS3?

How quiet is this model?

Looking at a budget player, either the Sony S5100 or Samsung F6500. It's to supplement/replace a PS3 Slim (for BR discs), so hoping for something totally silent.

Also, can it be controlled with a 2013 Samsung tv remote via Anynet, as per the PS3?

I am interested in how quiet it is too...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom