Sony BDP-S5100/4100 with Yamaha RX-V675

DiNZi

Hi there,

I'm planning to buy one of these two Sony Blu-Ray Players off eBay soon, hopefully pick one up for £50 either the S5100/S4100.

I plan to use the Blu-Ray player for it's USB Port and play 1080p MKV's off it, I was just wondering if it is a good player to use?

I stuck to Sony as I have recently bought the Sony KDL50W829 LED TV.

I just want to confirm this decodes/processes the Audio at the best of it's ability, I don't really want to budge from Sony, but what brands are usually good?

DiNZi

I'm writing this to help reassure myself that it should all work ok, I'll be connecting a HDMI cable from the AV receiver to the Sony bluray player.

Some reading on this forum I've seen the replies to peoples threads.

'Your receiver doesn't support audio over HDMI as it is an older model. You should be able to use a digital coax cable though for 5.1 (6.1) audio.'

DiNZi

I will be watching MKV's that have DTS and also DTS-MA and I want the BluRay player to decode/pass that through properly so my Yamaha RX-V675 reads/picks it all up ok.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Some reading on this forum I've seen the replies to peoples threads.

'Your receiver doesn't support audio over HDMI as it is an older model. You should be able to use a digital coax cable though for 5.1 (6.1) audio.'
Your AV receiver has no issue with accessing audio via HDMI inputs. This has nothing to do with the player's ability to handle the file formats you need it to play. Not all Blu-ray players with media player capabilities can play MKV files and some cannot play DTS-HD encoded audio if accessed via an MKV container or other file container. I've no idea as to whether or not the Sony players you are interested in have the capabilities you are looking for?

DiNZi

Your AV receiver has no issue with accessing audio via HDMI inputs. This has nothing to do with the player's ability to handle the file formats you need it to play. Not all Blu-ray players with media player capabilities can play MKV files and some cannot play DTS-HD encoded audio if accessed via an MKV container or other file container. I've no idea as to whether or not the Sony players you are interested in have the capabilities you are looking for?
Sony BDP-S4100 sound level | AVForums

This is one that is quite concerning, as you know yourself my Speakers are quite budget and I don't want any wastage in volume, this chap mentions how he needs to crank up the volume more than he used to using this S4100 player.

Argh, how hard can it be to find a decent BD player that decodes/outputs audio as it reads it, meh!

dante01

Distinguished Member
Line levels are irrelevant. You don't need to crank up the volume because your AV receiver is calibrated to a level that is appropriate. The volume control is digital and you simply adjust it to output the appropriate level, either in accordance with reference levels or to your own liking. Crank up or similar terminology has no relevance. Who cares if you have to adjust the volume as long as the end result is to your liking? All players will output the exact same audio and video as far as digital data is concerned. It is only in relation to features and scaling abilities that players vary. All BD player will play a Blu-ray title in much the same way and output the exact same digital data. This is whether the player is costing you £50 or £500. If only using HDMI then you need not worry yourself too much about the quality of the player's audio and video output.

Last edited:

DiNZi

Let me put it as an example, let's say with an old Toshiba BluRay Player this guy is watching The Avengers on BluRay with the volume set to -30 on his AVR now he swaps to the Sony Player and watches the same thing but the volume isn't as loud as it was using the Toshiba Player.

In his case he went from a Sony BDP-S350 Player to a Sony BDP-S4100, I know it sounds silly, but there is a considerable difference in size/weight for these two players. Do you think that has anything to do with it?

Kinda explains why at Richer Sounds and other places you don't see them using small Sony BluRay Players, they demo with the chunkier Cambridge Audio or Pioneer Blurays.

Anyway, I don't have the money for that, do you think the Sony BDP-S4100 is a decent enough BD Player to pair with my AV Receiver?

I never really thought about what brands are usually strong in BluRay Players just like Yamaha are with AV Receivers.

dante01

Distinguished Member
You'd need to ensure that the settings onboard the player used while playing both devices are exactly the same if making such comparisons. Simply having DRC engaged onboard one player and not on the other could potentially result in the kind of results mentioned in the other thread?

You may fnd this of interest:
Official Sony BDP-S1100, BDP-S3100, BDP-S4100 and BDP-S5100 - Page 60

All in all, why does it matter if one player is quieter than another if only ever wanting to use that one player? Sure, you'll have inaccurate reference levels, but this is of no importance unless you are a sound engineer?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom