Sony BDP-S500 announced.

BadAss

Banned
bdp_s500_digital_out_high.jpg

Sony has announced the BDP-S500 Blu-ray disc player, the high-end version of the already available BDP-S300. It will support 1080p24/60 video and 7.1 audio output, as well as a motorized front panel. The new player will also support Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD internal decoding, and will also pass the bit stream for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD via HDMI v1.3 to a capable receiver. No price or release date has been set at this time.

http://www.sony.jp/products/Consumer/BD/product/style.html

J

jackal

Is it profile 1.1?

Gutted that we still haven't seen a player specced with on board DTS MA decoding. (except the top Denon).

Avi

Distinguished Member
On AVS paidgeek (BD insider) has just posted this in response to the same question:

Not good.

That's just crazy :mad: Are any of the so far announced players that have a price and released date profile 1.1 ?

AVI

Avi

Distinguished Member
Is it profile 1.1?

Gutted that we still haven't seen a player specced with on board DTS MA decoding. (except the top Denon).

Isn't the Samsung dual player promised DTS MA via a fw update ?

AVI

Drongo

Distinguished Member
That's just crazy :mad: Are any of the so far announced players that have a price and released date profile 1.1 ?

AVI

It beggars belief doesn’t it? I was expecting a flood of announcements for 1.1 capable machines.

There's the Daewoo. But without a release date that's pretty much vapourware for now.

That in itself is pretty mind boggling.

I mean no disrespect to Daewoo, but honestly Daewoo!:eek:

I would have thought that after Denon’s 1.1 announcement (although we now know it to be rather premature) that even if it were only for reasons of corporate pride, that the founders of the format would announce 1.1 players.

If Sony, Panasonic and Pioneer cannot even announce something as eagerly anticipated as 1.1 at a high profile event like IFA then something seems very wrong in BD land…

J

jackal

I wonder if the Oct 31st deadline for 1.1 only players to be released is going to fall quietly by the wayside?

Avi

Distinguished Member
It beggars belief doesn't it? I was expecting a flood of announcements for 1.1 capable machines.

Especially when the BDA press session had BD studios promoting interactive features such as PIP and web access as a key selling points for future titles. I notice the question about profile 1.1 players was side stepped by pointing at the manufacturers.

AVI

Drongo

Distinguished Member
I wonder if the Oct 31st deadline for 1.1 only players to be released is going to fall quietly by the wayside?

Well if that happened it would not be the biggest surprise in the world.

The 1.1 deadline has been moved once already……

Especially when the BDA press session had BD studios promoting interactive features such as PIP and web access as a key selling points for future titles. I notice the question about profile 1.1 players was side stepped by point at the manufacturers.

AVI

That’s the surprising thing.

At this point in time, I don’t think it’s to radical a thing to suggest that HD-DVD clearly has the upper hand with regards to interactivity.

I’m sure that any fair minded Blu-ray supporter would admit that.

Now given that this ‘stick’ is constantly being used to do down BD by many people, you would think the BDA would be trying to neutralise their competitor’s advantage,If they could…..

Jeff

Distinguished Member
Now we know why the dead-line slipped, Sony had another crappy player to sneak in. And they say Blu Ray isn't controlled by Sony. :mad:

I really hope this profile business really back fires on them, they deserve it big time.

And no this isn't the same as not having DTS on the first DVD players, you could still play everything even if at a slightly lesser quality. In this case interactive features simply won't play at all and there may be other side effects.

cj

On AVS paidgeek (BD insider) has just posted this in response to the same question:

Not good.

Two more quotes from paidgeek: -

"My understanding is that this model will ship in October."
"I do not expect it to be updated to support more advanced profiles."

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
The differences on paper to jump from 1.0 to 1.1 seems 'small' however to implement them it is actually a MUCH bigger job to do than 'some' have indicated here. You have to look at Toshibas G1, G2 solution to these problems are being really very innovative and successful now. The Blu ray club has all the tools to all profiles NOW but what they can't do is do it at a price we all want to buy at.

BadAss

Banned
I suspect the BDA are delaying profile 1.1 players to get software out for Christmas and try and win the war outright using 1.0 players.

Then Profile 1.1 gets rolled out keeping player prices high $600ish. HD-DVD has basically blown it's wad already and I'm sure some will scratch there head at the Onkyo prices wondering what the extra cash actualy gets them.

The BDA know profile 1.1 is their second bite at the cherry and a chance to reset the price differential between competing with HD-DVD and where they wanted prices to be from the beginning.

As for the BDP-500 I'd be realy suprized if that player doesn't have 256MB of storage and SoC. I mean if the BDP-S300 was the cheap BDP-S1 what is the roll of the BDP-S500?

Avi

Distinguished Member
I suspect the BDA are delaying profile 1.1 players to get software out for Christmas and try and win the war outright using 1.0 players.

So by that I assume you mean it's worth buying any of the current or soon to be released players as they are only a "stop gap" ?

Then Profile 1.1 gets rolled out keeping player prices high $600ish. HD-DVD has basically blown it's wad already and I'm sure some will scratch there head at the Onkyo prices wondering what the extra cash actualy gets them.

You mean by HD DVD actually delivering the features and functionality they promised and we expect from a next generation player ? I agree that is a refershing approach. Also I don't see how "premium pricing" 1.1 features is of any benefit compared to what's already offered by a £180 HD DVD player.

What additional DVD title features do current "high end" DVD players offer over cheaper DVD players ? Do the cheaper players not allow access to some of the additional title features that the more expensive ones do ? If they both access the same title features why do people buy more expensive players ? Applying your logic they would'nt.

The BDA know profile 1.1 is their second bite at the cherry and a chance to reset the price differential between competing with HD-DVD and where they wanted prices to be from the beginning.

I'm not sure how many people will be falling over themselves to buy another BD player that adds the features they thought were included in their original purchase. Even more so if they realise there is yet another profile that may or may not be supported by the players. Then add dual format players in to the mix.

The only people this benefits are the manufacturers by misleading people into double or tripple dip purchases. :mad:

As for the BDP-500 I'd be realy suprized if that player doesn't have 256MB of storage and SoC. I mean if the BDP-S300 was the cheap BDP-S1 what is the roll of the BDP-S500?

Can you confirm the BDP-S500 will be upgradeable to profile 1.1 and provide supporting info to back it up ?

AVI

J

jackal

I'll definitely be passing on all of the 'new' players announced.

No DTS HD MA
No Profile 1.1

Where has the progress been? We were almost promised a flood of 'complete' full specification players by this time.

I really don't see what the BDP-S500 offers that is actually worthwhile?

There must be some real technical difficulties in implementing this new profile.

Badass, there is NO value to be added (i.e. higher price) by making a player do what it should have done in the first place.

This needs to be supported ASAP as far as I am concerned, or I won't be opening my wallet for a long while.

Very disappointed.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom