Sony bdp-s4100 & Yamaha dsp-ax863se help

postie90

My 3d blu ray player won't play 3d discs thru my amp? Says It carnt detect a 3d signal.? Any ideas please... My sky box plays 3d thru the amp... I'm pulling my hair out.... Thanks

postie90

So I've worked out, if I connect the blu ray straight to Tv 3d works fine, so how do I get master audio? Connecting the blu ray to the av amp via coaxial I only get Dts not master audio... Any ideas guys thanks...

Cliff

Distinguished Member
The 863 is cannot pass 3D through the HDMI. You need a player with two HDMI outputs , one for sound to the amp and one to the TV/projector

postie90

The 863 is cannot pass 3D through the HDMI. You need a player with two HDMI outputs , one for sound to the amp and one to the TV/projector

Hi cliff,
So how does it do sky 3d? Does that work in a different way? Thanks

Cliff

Distinguished Member
Hi cliff,
So how does it do sky 3d? Does that work in a different way? Thanks
Well the amplifier was designed before Blu ray 3D so the HDMI spec was not designed with this in mind. Having said that the Sky TV data rate is lower (1080i) and probably passes through OK.
My guess is that is the reason Sky goes through.

Cliff

Distinguished Member
No it won't work.
If you get a player with two HDMI outs, in the menu you tell it to send HD sound one and video on the other.

postie90

I have it working in a fashion, by running blu ray to Tv via hdmi, then a coaxial from blu ray to amp... I just don't get master audio only Dts.. Wondering if there's another way..

Last edited:

skk3

Tenuous, I know, but are both your HDMI cables 3D compatible?

Cliff

Distinguished Member
I have it working in a fashion, by running blu ray to Tv via hdmi, then a coaxial from blu ray to amp... I just don't get master audio only Dts.. Wondering if there's another way..
That's OK. Because the bandwidth of coax digital output is limited it can only carry the compressed formats like Dolby Digital. The higher quality lossless formats have to use HDMI.

skk3

Cool... I use coaxial myself and still enjoy the sound.

postie90

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom