Sony BDP-S370 Wired Through Mac?

MJ98

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

i have recently bought a Sony BDP-S370 and like a lot of people i don't really want to have to fork out on a Sony dongle to get online with it. Now, i know you can connect with an ethernet cable to a router, but my router is too far for this to be an option. Instead, could i connect an ethernet to my iMac and then essentially bridge a connection to it?

I've tried and it says on the Blu-Ray player that the the physical connection is fine but the internet access fails. In the network settings an IP is assigned and everything appears reasonably normal. In the diagnostics it says that it's having trouble connecting with the DHCP server. Can i manually fix this? Or will it just not work directly through my Mac?

Any help appreciated. Thanks,

Martyn

Are you talking about accessing BD-live?

If so, it seems that there is simply a problem with that service.

Have a look at the last couple of pages of this thread, specifically post #949 and onwards.

I'm basically just looking to get it online for any reason (Software updates, BBC iPlayer etc) . As it stands i literally can't even get the thing online which i would like to do as it saves a CD being able to download updates directly to it.

Thanks

There are 2 options to get it online without needing your Mac powered up, both costing about £40.
Either a pair of homeplugs :
Amazon.co.uk: homeplug 85
or a Wireless adapter :
Netgear Universal WiFi Internet Adaptor Free Delivery : Wireless Cards USB : Maplin

The speed of the homeplugs will depend on the quality of your mains wiring, but should give a reliable connection.
The speed of the Wireless adapter will depend on the strength/speed of your Wireless connection to your router, so may not be as reliable especially with HD content.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks for that, it is something i will look in to if i keep having troubles. Although, i have my mac powered on all the time i would use my Blu-Ray player anyway, so i was just wondering if anyone could help me with configuring the DHCP or general internet so that i can connect through my Mac.

Thanks

Fine, Sorry I've never used a Mac.
I'd STRONGLY recommend using a wired connection to your router when running firmware updates off the net for the BDP-S370.

Yeah i would like to be able to do that but due to the positioning and distance it makes it a little hard unfortunately. To be honest i'm not even sure if it's possible for me to do it through the Mac as from searching i can't seem to find anyone asking the same questions. I guess i'll have to just wait and see if there's anyone who has done anything similar :(

I bought a long ethernet cable from prepaymania for about £5

(20 Metre CAT5E RJ45 Ethernet LAN Cable
Product code: 5348 MPN: 20 Meters CAT5E RJ45 Ethernet LAN Cable
Description: 20 Metre CAT5E RJ45 Ethernet LAN Cable - The RJ45 Local Area Network cable is a patch cable - utilized for linking PC's to hubs, network switches, routers, DSL and ADSL modems. Points: + 20 Meters CAT5E RJ45 Ethernet LAN Cable, Gold plated connectors, Network cable, 1 x RJ-45 - male)

plugged it into a spare LAN port on my router and the BDP connected in seconds with no issues, my imac is upstairs in a rear bedroom and my Bluray Player is in my lounge downstairs. Nothing is needed configuration wise.

From memory on imac System Preferences then Network then configure Ethernet for a direct connection is the way to go if you don`t use a router.

mrbenn - Thanks for that, it's definitely a cheaper option that i may end up looking into as it doesn't seem to be going my way with the wired.

milicoon - I have an Ethernet connecting my blu-ray to my imac in an upstairs bedroom with the router in the lounge downstairs. When i connect the BDP to my Mac and go into the network settings it says it's connected fine but there is a problem with the DHCP and therefore i think some configuration is required - Would you have any ideas what needs to be done?

Thanks

wired is really the best bet, but if you can't then the n network bridge is a great alternative for only a few £'s.

ps: amazon basics cat5e cables are very well priced

Configuration can be very difficult and in this case impossible but in an ideal world the Blu-Ray Player just plugs into a spare LAN port on the router and away you go, can you run an ethernet cable from Blu-Ray Player to router ? If your mac is wireless from your router you will be limited to 54Mbps (Wireless G) which may well struggle as some mkv or m2ts files get up to 37Mbps which leaves you with very little slack depending on your home insulation etc

A wired ethernet from router to mac will solve this limit but carpets/floorboards may be a problem, how about all 3 items in the same room with short ethernet cables ?

Hi Mate,

From your Mac you can switch on "Internet Sharing" this will allow you to share the connection from your wireless to your ethernet port. To do this go into your system preferences and select the the sharing icon and near the bottom you will see internet sharing, then on the "share your connection from" drop down box select Airport and on "To computers using" select the ethernet check box and finally select the internet sharing check box, then you should have full internet from your ethernet port, Hope this helps.

Ciaran.

Thanks for the replies again. Milocoon, i would really like to be able to connect directly to the router but it's kind of shared over the household so it's downstairs and i keep all my electronics in my bedroom where i watch all my films etc, so it's not that feasible to have the wires running around (For the blu-ray or mac via ethernet). At the end of the day, if it proves difficult i'll just have to settle with not taking it online.

ciarantpower - Thanks for that, i hadn't even thought of looking in there as i've been focused on the network side of it. However, now this is truned on, in network on the Mac the Ethernet is still next to a yellow dot implying it's not fully functional and on the Blu-Ray side it still says the physical connection is fine but the internet access is not - apparently still down to a DHCP issue...?

Where it has the yellow dot on the mac for the Ethernet it says: "Ethernet has a self-assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the Internet."

Thanks

Hi Mate,

Strange that it is not working, can you check on the sony the DNS server and IP address is set to auto. If that fails unplug the ethernet cable restart your Mac and re-setup internet sharing, hope this helps.

Ciaran.

Fine, Sorry I've never used a Mac.
I'd STRONGLY recommend using a wired connection to your router when running firmware updates off the net for the BDP-S370.

I'll second that too. I use a 15 metre ethernet just for my updates - it is no trouble to unplug and pack away each time (twice a year, if that?).

Everything is set to Auto except the Proxy which isn't used, just tried restarting it all and luck... :(

I'm fine to run an Ethernet cable to it from the router for the updates i just wanted to have it online on a more regular basis (even at a lower connection speed) just so i could kind of look around and see the things that would work.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom