Sony BDP-S370 stuttering BD Discs

awoodier

Standard Member
Hi all,

My new S370 stutters when playing BD movies. It's not doing it on all films I've tried, just the majority. You can be sat watching happily and then all of sudden it stutters, the picture slows down likes it buffering, only for 2 seconds or so, then it goes back to normal. Will do it 20+ times during a 2 hour flick.

I've tried adjusting settings but nothing makes a difference. Do you think I have a duff machine?

Thanks. Andy.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I've the same player and I'm not experiencing the problem you have. I can only suggest you return it and get an exchange.

awoodier

Standard Member
Hi guys n' gals,

Dante: I did just that, the unit got sent back and i now have a replacement.

However this one does it too! I've managed to watch DVD's just fine on it, and i watched Avatar on BD all the way through without a problem, but last night i stuck in King Kong on BD and 2 minutes in it begins to slow down and stutter. It then went 20 minutes without doing it again, and then a further hour without doing it again.

Of note is that the sound is completely unaffected, only the picture. It's like it's struggling to buffer it, it's that kind of experience. Only does it for a few seconds and then continues as normal.

Thoughts? Should i contact Sony perhaps? I'm tempted just to send it back, get a refund and try a different machine altogether. Shame as it's a cracking little player.

Franklin Mott

Standard Member
So what did you end up doing, awoodier? I have the same player and it's suffering from the same issue. Mine even has problems with DVDs as well, I was playing a James Cagney movie last evening and experienced a bit of stuttering. It's pretty bad when a Blu-Ray player can't handle a film from 1939 :laugh:

awoodier

Standard Member
I'd forgotten about my thread, apologies for that.

Mid way through King Kong, which stuttered quite bad, i stopped the disc and had a mess around the back, checking cables were all properly connected etc. I had plugged in a USB stick into the back of the unit to make use of BD Live features, so on the off chance i removed this and tried again. King Kong then played just fine!

The USB stick hasn't been near the machine since. This stick used to be connected to my old 360 model so maybe there's some files on there that the new 370 didn't like, or maybe with it being a cheap stick it was the hardware itself causing the problem. Either way i'm not plugging it back in to find out as i've probably watched over 20 Blu-rays since and had NO slow down at all.

Other films that did affect me were Gangs of New York and Terminator Salvation, both discs that worked fine on the 360. Both play fine now.

For me it seems problem solved. Hope this is the same fix for you!

scoggy

Novice Member
I had this problem with Iron Man 2 last night. It was a LoveFilm rental, which I've now sent back, so I can't check whether removing the USB key would help me. I'll give it a go if I get the issue in future.

Shventz

Standard Member
Just wanted to thank awoodier, had the same video shutter with blu-ray playback on my s370, was about to go down the tv firmware upgrade route until I spotted this thread. Removed the usb stick out the back of the s370 and issue fixed. Thanks, that's no doubt saved me loads of messing about!

awoodier

Standard Member
Just wanted to thank awoodier, had the same video shutter with blu-ray playback on my s370, was about to go down the tv firmware upgrade route until I spotted this thread. Removed the usb stick out the back of the s370 and issue fixed. Thanks, that's no doubt saved me loads of messing about!
Glad it solved the issue for you too, i feel a email to Sony support coming on as this is clearly an issue affecting several people now. I'll see what they say! :D

gazzo73

Standard Member
I have the same Blu ray player and mine does the same thing on BD discs but its ok on DVD's. I don't have a USB stuck in the machine, I have had the player about 2 weeks and am thinking of returning it. Its a shame because the picture is amazing when its playing ok.

-gonzo-

Distinguished Member
It's only been stuttering since the last firmware update so I suspect that's the cause.
I will give the USB stick removal a go to see if that helps.

awoodier

Standard Member
I have the same Blu ray player and mine does the same thing on BD discs but its ok on DVD's. I don't have a USB stuck in the machine, I have had the player about 2 weeks and am thinking of returning it. Its a shame because the picture is amazing when its playing ok.
Does it do it on all discs or just certain ones? Is your Firmware up to date? Have you tried resetting the machine back to defaults and trying again? All stuff worth doing before getting another one.

gazzo73

Standard Member
Does it do it on all discs or just certain ones? Is your Firmware up to date? Have you tried resetting the machine back to defaults and trying again? All stuff worth doing before getting another one.
It has done it on the five BD films I have played so far. The Firmware is up to date and I have tried a different HDMI lead, I will try resetting back to default settings, will this reset the Firmware. As I said DVD's are fine, my wife says I should get the old DVD player out!!!

awoodier

Standard Member
It has done it on the five BD films I have played so far. The Firmware is up to date and I have tried a different HDMI lead, I will try resetting back to default settings, will this reset the Firmware. As I said DVD's are fine, my wife says I should get the old DVD player out!!!
Damn annoying sometimes this techology. It's looking likely you may just have a duff unit. The firmware version wont be affected but every other setting will be reset to default. It's worth a go. I'd try that and then swap it for another one.

robarltrop

Standard Member
Worked for me thanks :)
Had to stop watching a "Fistful of Dollars" and put the blu-ray into the PS3 it was so annoying.
Just tried it now, with the USB drive removed, and no problems.

Woodgnome60

Standard Member
My Sony Blu Ray S570 has just started stuttering on Blu Rays. It's subtle - but on Star Trek II did so every couple of minutes.

Last week it badly jittered on DVD - every 10 seconds with a 1 second delay. The player was warm (had been working for 5 hours.) Left it th enight and the next day it was fine.

I am very disappointed with this excellent spec'd but poorly made player. Sony are spirraling down in my estimation - esp. after my SE X10 Andriod phone - which is also pants - and another story...

english_bob

ITS BACK! Nothing curing this one...

english_bob

I found the answer to this. Unplug the player from the wired network. Anytime the network cable was plugged in, after a minute or so it started stuttering. Taking the cable out, all corrected itself.

Very odd. Can't comment if its the same over wireless, but certainly was the fixed over my wired connection. Not sure what is going on here, some new disc authoring that constantly tries to use the internet while being played back? All my other discs are fine.

If you get a similar fault, its worth considering this fix.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom