Sony BDP-S370 for £69.99....except it's not?

Commodore

Standard Member
Hi Folks

Some of you might have noticed that Argos is offering the (IMHO) excellent Sony BDP-S370 Blu-ray Player for £69.99 as part of its end of catalogue clearout.

Also amazing is that there are a fair few stores with stock. I had two such stores near me, so I reserved one at each (both only had one each in stock) and headed off this morning on a shopping spree.

Here's the problem. No warning at the point of purchase in both stores, it was only when the players arrived in front of me at the collection counters that I discovered that Argos had done one of its infamous 'we've substituted this for something else of equal or better spec' swapouts. On the plus side, both boxes were brand new, factory sealed and immaculate (so were not customer returns or repacks). But they were not the S370, they were both S380 units.

The S380 is not a bad unit, but it is missing a number of features over the unit it replaced (No DLNA support, no DivX - only Xvid, no HD iPlayer playback, only one digital audio output). It's a bargain at £69.99 so is well worth seeking out. Thing is, I really wanted another S370, having bought one just before Christmas from Richer Sounds for £99.99.

So I called Richer Sounds (about 20 times until I finally got through to my local store instead of the customer service centre). Richer Sounds is also stock clearing the S370, but are actually supplying S370 units, not S380 ones like Argos. My local store still had 2 - one was ex display, the other a open box customer return (reason for return was that it wasn't DVD multi-region out of the box). Went down and had a look and the open box one was immaculate.

Better still, managed to get Richer Sounds to price match Argos (Richer Sounds are stock clearing the S370 at £79.99). The manager at my local branch (Eton) is a complete ball-breaker and will usually try and weasel out of price matching whenever possible, but he must have been in a good mood today and agreed to price match with only a small effort to avoid doing so. I also got the 5 year supercover for a tenner, which I still consider to be a bargain.

All I need to do now is get hold of the necessary remote to do the multi-region DVD hack (I had one, but sold it after unlocking two units, thinking I wouldn't need to do it for a third unit).

So, in summary - if you want a S380 for £69.99, head to Argos. If you want to try and get one of the last S370 units out there, head to Richer Sounds and get them to price match Argos.

Chris

tman

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't realise the S380 was inferior to the S370 in some marginal areas. Glad I picked up my S370 when I did, a few months ago when Tesco's were selling them for £99.99.

bluelouboyle

Standard Member
Yeah, i got home before i realised it was the s380. Not too bothered, apart from the fact that it's one of the 'analogue sunset' players with no HD via component. Fine for my hdmi TV, not good for my old projector!

Commodore

Standard Member
Yeah, i got home before i realised it was the s380. Not too bothered, apart from the fact that it's one of the 'analogue sunset' players with no HD via component. Fine for my hdmi TV, not good for my old projector!

Blimey, hadn't realised they had crippled the component outs as well on the S380. :mad:

Another good reason to go for the 370 when possible.

On the plus side (don't want to sound like I have a complete downer on the newer player), the 380 does support NTFS via the USB sockets, allowing for the playback of files larger than 4GB (the 370 only supports FAT32 so is limited by the 4GB file size limit of the fiesystem), so it does have some plus points going for it.

bluelouboyle

Standard Member
Commodore - I haven't actually tested it via component yet. The specs say only component via 480i or 576i i think. But it also says it may be different for the model in other countries. Maybe it's just the US, where the MPAA is up in arms about copy protection via component.

I plan to get a component-vga cable tomorrow so will report back...

Rhicharls94

Standard Member
I have the S370 and S380 and they have the exactly the same IplayerHD support. Both are not the real HD version you can get using Iplayer on a PC.
The componnent on the S380 UK version does 1080i60 max on bluray and usb files, I used it for a few weeks before I got a HDMI cable for it. Only problem is it does not upsacle dvd's/

bluelouboyle

Standard Member
Yeah, i just checked the component output options. 480p, 720p 1080i all there. So it's NOT an 'analogue sunset' model!

RMCF

Distinguished Member
I have the S370 and S380 and they have the exactly the same IplayerHD support. Both are not the real HD version you can get using Iplayer on a PC.
The componnent on the S380 UK version does 1080i60 max on bluray and usb files, I used it for a few weeks before I got a HDMI cable for it. Only problem is it does not upsacle dvd's/

Does it not?

Taken from Amazon website
Technical Details

BRAVIA Internet Video
USB x2
Smartphone remote
Quickstart
Wireless LAN ready
Full HD 1080P and DVD upscale
IP noise reduction
Internet video enhancer
Entertainment database browser
XrossMediaBar
High Definition audio codecs
Cost saving power consumption
Monolithic design

Edit: oops - you mean via component?

bluelouboyle

Standard Member

Rnkibvard, Did you try component at 480p/576p? When I try that it automatically defaults to 576p, which my projector cannot handle. Any idea how to get 480p? Is it better than 576i, which my pj can handle it seems?

tman

Does it not?

Taken from Amazon website
Technical Details

BRAVIA Internet Video
USB x2
Smartphone remote
Quickstart
Wireless LAN ready
Full HD 1080P and DVD upscale
IP noise reduction
Internet video enhancer
Entertainment database browser
XrossMediaBar
High Definition audio codecs
Cost saving power consumption
Monolithic design

Edit: oops - you mean via component?

There won't be any upscaling over component, only over HDMI.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom