Sony BDP-S370 / BBC iPlayer

swtate

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All
New to this forum, and am wondering if anyone else has experienced a problem with the HD channel in BBC iPlayer. All the other channels work fine except for this one, which in fact disappeared for a few hours, but has now reappeared in the list. All the program information, graphics etc for HD are there on screen, but unlike the other channels the 'play' icon is missing from the chosen program. I'm using the wireless dongle & have an internet connection of around 5-6MB (BBC HD plays fine on my Mac/PC) & have made sure that the latest firmware update for the BDP-S370 has been installed. Anyone any ideas? Is this simply a question of initial teething problems with the Bravia service? No word from Sony yet, but will post their response when it arrives.

Yeah been mentioned in main thread for this player. Somebody theorised that perhaps because of the World Cup the BBC are cutting down on iplayer HD availability to save on bandwidth.

Hi,

I enjoy BBC iPlayer from abroad thanks to UK-based VPN & Proxies.
Thought the same trick would work with Sony Blurays, but it does not seem to work: I was wondering if anyone found the missing bit.

I'm sitting in EU, with BDP-S570/BM EC1 player
I checked Internet video services are indeed updated depending on my VPN settings:
- US VPN enables Netflix, Pandora, etc...
- UK VPN enables LoveFILM, etc...
but, BBC iPlayer is missing!...
I also tried to register against Sony Essencial: process worked, but still no BBC iPlayer.

This is strange, as firmware seems to be the same across regions (same file size at least). I'm at M04.R.588
There seem to be different HW revisions of that player inside Europe (EC1, EC2, CEK): is CEK the one sold in UK, and is that feature bounded to that model only?
Anyone having access to Service Manuals so that we can figure-out the differences (just a jumper thing or more fundamental)?

Has anyone succeeded in using BBC iPlayer on device bought outside UK on BDP-Sx70 models?

Thanks.

Hi all....I too am new to this Forum. Was having the same problems as described by the last poster and going mad!!

I had the BBC HD channel up and working initially and it was stunning to say the least. After the last Firmware update I cannot get the HD channel to work. Same thing no play icon or programme information.

It is interesting that if you go online on a PC, most of the HD content is either 'not available' or 'coming soon' so I tend to agree with the poster who thinks the BBC may be cutting down the HD content to save on bandwidth due to the World Cup.

At least I know that I am not alone, any further info on this and I would be grateful.

Thank goodness someone else is having this trouble, I would love to know what that update was.

im having the same problem,been watch iplayer hd for weeks now than i tried over the weekend and had the same problem as you

Same here. If anyone gets anywhere with this, please post back.

I just logged a support query with sony - will let you know of any outcome

Hi all - just to let you know, the glitch has been identified on the BBC side and they are resolving it later this afternooon so HD service should be back up this evening.

Hi Guys,

I think I've got a solution (well sort of). I updated my BDP-S370 today with the new firmware just out thinking it would resolve the matter. No such luck, however I had a brainwave and took out the Sony dongle from the USB socket (rear) and stuck it in the front. Now BBC HD appears to work normal. It did however have some of the content unavailable, as indeed the PC site is doing also.

I know it is not ideal with the thing protruding from the front, but it works. Also if anyone has tried to use BD Live with any of their BD discs it requires a memory stick to be placed in the rear (only) USB socket hence the same outcome. All the iPlayer buttons now work (more episodes etc).

I hope the other poster is correct and the BBC are investigating as I am sure I had the dongle in the rear previously and the iPlayer was working...anyway a short term solution for you.

:) I think the dongle switch is co-incidental as I just checked my player and HD content is back and mine is hardwired. But good thinking though!

:) I think the dongle switch is co-incidental as I just checked my player and HD content is back and mine is hardwired. But good thinking though!

Yep, you're right. Just switched it back and everything is right with the world again!!

Just coincidence that I was muckin' about with it, when they fixed the problem. However, what I said about BD live still stands for anyone having problems connecting there. That having been said it is pretty rubbish in my humble opinion and not worth the trouble.

Today's firmware update fixed mine, got all the iplayer HD content back :)

Hi, I bought this player last weekend, BBC HD was down, but now its up with new firmware update, excellent!

I only seem to be getting stereo sound from it though, is this correct, no 5.1 from BBCHD via iplayer?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sitting in EU, with BDP-S570/BM EC1 player
I checked Internet video services are indeed updated depending on my VPN settings:
- US VPN enables Netflix, Pandora, etc...
- UK VPN enables LoveFILM, etc...
but, BBC iPlayer is missing!...

Wooknoz, when you have your VPN settings for US you mean it just displays Pandora right? That's one thing but does Pandora actually work?!

I'd really like to know, because I can only use Pandora on my PC using TOR w/ US exit nodes!

Also could you explain how you get your VPN to work with a non-PC device, e.g the blu-ray player. Do you enter the VPN settings directly into your router? And does this mean I could use TOR in my router instead...so I can stream Pandora via TOR to a [non-PC] Pandora compatible device?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom