Sony BDP-S360 on 720p displays

lozfuller

Standard Member
Hi,

This is my first look at Blu-ray players, so excuse any ignorance here!

I'm very tempted to purchase the above Blu-ray player, given that it is now just £80 at Play. However, both my displays are only 720p (Panasonic 42 inch Plasma and Hitachi PJ-TX200 projecting on 96 inches), not the full 1080p which I assume is the native output of this Blu-ray player?

How does this player fair at converting to 720p? Will it still provide a noticeable difference in picture quality over my existing SD DVD player on these 720p displays?

I have a reasonably small collection of SD DVDs at present and will be looking to purchase mainly Blu-ray DVDs from now on.

Thanks

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
Blu Ray will always look better than DVD so setting the player at 720p will be fine. The only downside to 720p is the player will lose the 24hz processing so it will be 720p/60.

Can the Hitachi PJ-TX200 recieve 1080p/24? My old Optoma HD700 can still receive the 1080p/24 and downscale it to 720p.

plib

Standard Member
Hi,

I've got a Sony BDP-S550 and a Sony VPL-HS60 720p projector (well.....had! I've since upgraded to a Sony VPL-HW15 - must update my sig). When I first got the 550 I compared SD upscaled to 720 on the NS78H to HD downscaled to 720p on the 550, with the same movie ( Quantum of Solace on DVD & Blu Ray). There IS a noticeable difference! Go for it!

lozfuller

Standard Member
Blu Ray will always look better than DVD so setting the player at 720p will be fine. The only downside to 720p is the player will lose the 24hz processing so it will be 720p/60.

Can the Hitachi PJ-TX200 recieve 1080p/24? My old Optoma HD700 can still receive the 1080p/24 and downscale it to 720p.

The Hitachi definitely accepts 1080p and downscales to 720p. However, is 1080p always 24hz and how does this impact on downscaling?

lozfuller

Standard Member
So will the picture quality I get from the Sony BDP-S360 when downscaled to 720p (since this is the maximum both my projector and plasma can handle) be equivalent to watching BBC HD or Sky HD, which I believe is native 720p?

Also, is it better to let the Blu-ray player do the downscaling or the TV/projector?

Thanks

Bogyoch

Standard Member
I have a Pioneer PDP-507XD and this also has a native 720 resolution. I decided to buy the Sony 360 and took the chance that the players "auto" setting for resolution output would do the correct thing. It would have been nice to have had "source direct" on the player, but luckily I found this not to be needed.

Your TV and projector may scale in a different way, but with my player's output set to auto and the TV set to Pure Cinema (engaging 1080/24P), when playing a DVD, the set shows this at 1080i, and the BD at 1080P. In reality both are at 720, but all I can say is that the DVD replay is far better than with a non-upscaling player, and the BD replay is really excellent.

I was also slightly concerned about the Sony's lack of heft. You lift the thing up and it as light as a feather. However, the drawer opening and closing is nice and quite solid and the player looks sleek and simple in the rack. Of course, it's not in the same league as a Pioneer LX91, but for the modest price it is a bargain.

With regard to Sky HD, I have the box's output resolution set to auto, and the TV displays standard definition as 576P and HD as 1080i. Watching some BBC HD material is stunning: Antiques Roadshow, the Rugby and some documentaries are superb.

Bald Monkey

Distinguished Member
Lozfuller,

I've got a PJ TX-300 and going from SD-DVD to HD is a definate improvement. :smashin:

I found it would not accept 1080P but 1080i works great :thumbsup:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom