Sony BDP-S350/S550 DVD Region Hack for Nokia N95

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by AgentCool, Nov 27, 2008.

1. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I've had quite a few private messages sent to me over the past few weeks asking me how to perform the DVD region hack on the Sony BDP-S350/S550 using a Nokia N95. I know VindalooJim has put a link to my original forum post at the start of the 'Bike' thread but I didn't really go into much detail there which may be why some people are having trouble with the hack.

To save anybody else any bother, I'll post the method I used, in detail, here:

Firstly, download the ZIP folder containing the CCF file from AVForums (I'm not sure if this is still available to download so maybe someone could point in the right direction) and upload it to the Psiloc irRemote website when prompted at the start of the wizard (It's the file called 'BDP-S350.ccf' in the extracted folder). On the next page there'll be a list of buttons you can assign. Use the drop down list on any five of them and select 'S350.1.?', 'S350.2.?', 'S350.3.?', 'S350.4.?' and 'S350.5.?'. It doesn't matter which buttons you assign them to as long as you press them in numerical order when it comes to doing the hack. So you could pick 'Forward' for 'S350.1.?', 'Pause' for 'S350.2.?', 'Play' for 'S350.3.?', 'Rewind' for 'S350.4.?' and 'Stop' for 'S350.5.?'.

On the next page it will ask you for the device IMEI (ignore that), your nickname (enter anything) and the device name (put Sony BDP-S350). Click 'Finish' and it will be uploaded. With the software installed on your phone, run it and download the buttons assignments you have just uploaded by searching for 'Sony BDP-S350'. Download it to your phone and the main remote screen should come up. Point the IR port of your phone closely towards that of the Blu-ray player (with it turned on and no disc inside) and press the buttons you have assigned in the right order. In the above example, it would be 'Forward', 'Pause', 'Play', 'Rewind' and 'Stop'. Make sure you do it fairly quick though or it won't work. If the 24p light starts flashing it has worked so turn the player off, turn it back on and it should be region free.

As a side note, it'll probably be beneficial if somebody who uses this method posts the nickname they used when they uploaded the CCF file and the buttons they assigned to this thread which would save anybody else having to upload the file. I know I could do it but I'm feeling very lazy... :devil:

2. c-chaos

c-chaos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  3. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Yes, that's it.

4. Knallie

Knallie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just to be sure: This will work on a S550 too?
    And I take it it will also work with a nokia N96?

I'm surprised that not more people have tried this.. Is there anyone out there who can confirm this works?

5. strangey316

strangey316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, Im a total noob here.

I've just bought a Sony s350 bluray player

my fiancee has a nokia N95, how exactly do i use this as a remote contol for the bluray?

Bear in mind, i've never really used the phone.

I googled Psiloc irRemote, found the site with the link to download for the s350

http://irremote.psiloc.com/Show.aspx?d=DVD&v=Sony%20BDP350%20Hack%20UK&m=Sony%20BDP%20350%20Hack%20UK&i=39888[/URL]

But i'm affraid I'm none the wiser?

What do i do?

Any help would be much appreciated

James

6. strangey316

strangey316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, i managed to figure out to install the iremote software on the N95, i installed it, followed the instructions, but when run the app, and type in the code, nothing happens?

Has anyone got this to work?

Any help is much appreciated as I'd rather use the N95 (which my fiancee already has) rather than shell out 20 or 40 quid for an all4one remote to do the hack with

Thanks

James

7. andypearce

andypearce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I had no luck with it either - I assume the IR sensor/ transmitter is on the right hand side of the phone (as you look at the screen)? There's nothing to indicate that the 350 is receiving a signal from the phone when I press the buttons so I can't even tell if the phone is transmitting or not...

8. paulus29

paulus29

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the ir is on the side and once u downloaded the sony uk hack i think i called it when i uploaded mine the other day (you must download this on the phone internet not on the pc) so you install the software from the remote site first put it on your n95 using pc suite,then install the software,then after that disconect your phone from the pc and then open the remote software from the applications menu on the n95 after that goto choose device select dvd and you will be prompted to download the remote you want.

So your phone will ask is it ok to connect via wap or wireless net if you have it and it will refresh the list of dvd player remotes.

On the list select the sony bdp350 hack uk.

Once downloaded wont take a moment you will get the buttons of the remote on the phone you may have to tell the phone what numbers for what keys i set it the same as the first post forward play e.t.c. You may not have to do this thou.

when you have the keys right the key sequence will be 52143 and you have to do it quick pointing the phone ir at the dvd player next to the 24 blue light once you have typed this in fast the 24 light will flash on and off,wait 7 secs then turn the dvd player off worked for me first time.

Many Thanks to the first poster of this hack i am well pleased.

If you get stuck pm me mate its fairly simple once you twig what you have to do.

Paul.

9. paulus29

paulus29

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    also there is no indication the only indicator is when the blue 24 p light flashes then u know its worked. The n95 ir is on as soon as you launch the remote software. When I did it i was about 3 inches away from the dvd player with the phone pointing so its ir to ir hope this helps.

Paul

10. stevey1976

stevey1976
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Many thanks to AgentCool, I'm going to be buying my BDP-S350 today and look forward to trying the Region Hack with my Nokia N95. I've uploaded the files using AgentCools examples below:

'Forward' for 'S350.1.?', 'Pause' for 'S350.2.?', 'Play' for 'S350.3.?', 'Rewind' for 'S350.4.?' and 'Stop' for 'S350.5.?'.

These can be found on the irRemote site at this link:

Psiloc irRemote S60

I'll let you know how I get on, but in the meantime, thanks very much.

Steve

11. stevey1976

stevey1976
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well unfortunately I haven't had any joy with this, I wonder if the firmware has changed on the player now so this hack no longer works?

I did a test remote function by allocating the power off feature only to the Psiloc remote website then downloading it to my phone as I wasn't sure if IR was activated and it worked, so looks like the hack doesn't anymore which is a big shame.

12. mrcoyote

mrcoyote
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I finally managed to borrow a N95 today and followed the instructions above and in the first post of the Forum Bike thread. It took a few goes, but it does work on the latest firmware. If it doesn't work at first, keep trying. I got it to work by holding down the buttons rather than pressing them like I would if I was dialing a number if that makes sense?

13. AlanT

AlanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi everyone,

just done this today, as I bought my S350 from Blockbuster on their deal with the free blu rays.

Worked a treat, but I downloaded the S333333350 file from the site when selecting the DVD devices. Used the codes and after two tries worked a treat.

Thanks eveyone, saved me some money from Argos at least.

Have a great new year :thumbsup:

Alan

14. Vinesh

Vinesh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Cheers - my S550 is multi region now.

I used the BDP-S350 UK code and Nokia E51 phone. Knallie, this will make your S550 multi region.

All my region 1, 3 and Blu Ray's work.

Many thanks and happy new year. :smashin:

15. tombond

tombond
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Worked for me, too. I almost smashed my Nokia N93 because it didnt work, but after about 10 tries from different angles and ranges the blue light started flashing.

16. heliox

heliox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I get this well, that blue flashing light means it got region-free. No need for it to turn off automatically? Mine kept on flashing, so I had to switch it off with the Sony remote controller. Please tell me I succeeded.
    NB: I followed this guide using my nokia e61 and uploaded my settings to psiloc site for this bluray reader bought here in France. You can give it a try if you don't want to upload it yourself:
    Sony_BDP-S350 FR

17. simon478

simon478
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, I'm new here and just wanted to say thanks for the info :D

I followed the instructions above using my nokia n73 and it worked a treat! The only thing I found was that with the IR mode set to method 1 or method 2 (default) nothing happened, but when I tried IR mode method 3 success!!

Cheers!

18. wezza13

wezza13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just done this a moment ago with my N95. Worked a treat! Only thing I would say is make sure u have PC Suite installed on ur PC to install the IR Remote software to ur phone.

Also, when I pressed the sequence of buttons, I pressed them slowly and it didn't work. Tried it again slowly, didn't work. So I typed the sequence as fast as I could and, Hey Presto!, worked. :)

Thanx all

19. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Worked a treat using my N95 to unlock my new BDP-S550 :thumbsup:

20. growltiger

growltiger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    First off, thanks for the info. Using my N95 and the 33333350 profile, I was able to program Psiloc and enter the codes. The blue light on my Region 1/A S350 flashed. But I'm still unable to view Region 2 DVDs. Did anyone who was successful at getting this to work start with a Region 1/A player?
    Thanks in advance.

21. oakey01

oakey01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've downloaded the remote player onto my e71 phone but this application will not launch when the IR is enabled. The app works when IR is disabled and I can select device BDP-s350 or BDP-s350UK downloaded from the Psiloc site. However as stated as soon as I enable IR to connect with the player, the app simply will not launch.

Anyone know anything about this?

Many thanks!!

22. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Is this hack for the Blu ray side of the player or the standard dvd playback? I am trying to find out hoe to make the bd550 blu ray multiregion.

23. oakey01

oakey01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The thread indicates that that DVD only has been tested and that it works on the 550 mod.

Now has anyone tried to use an e71 and why will this ir client not launch when IR on the phone is enabled, as one must assume it must be to communicate with the player?

Help much appreciated!

24. Vinesh

Vinesh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Hi,

Yes, it will make your S550 region free, I have made my 550 region free.

With the E71, don't enable the IR on the phone. The IrRemote client s/w will launch it automatically in the background.

When you use the IrRemote s/w, the keys on the numeric pad is not recognised. To use the numerical keys, hold down the bottom left key and then press the corresponding number keys, i.e. hold down the bottom left key and press 52143.

I hope that helps.

Thanks

25. oakey01

oakey01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you, that has worked on my s350. Took several efforts to put the phone close to the player but eventually the 24p flashed, turned the player off and on and all worked OK. Cheers!!

26. Linnea

Linnea
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used the BDP-S350 UK code and Nokia N95 phone to make my Sony BDP-S550 region free on DVD.
    Downloaded the remote program and BDP-S350 UK code and followed the instructions (dialed in 52143).
    Several attempts but finaly the light started flashing.
    Had to use mode 6 on the infrared (Nokia N95).
    Thanks from Norway :thumbsup:

27. wezza13

wezza13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Spoke to a friend at work and he seemed to think that this would make my 350 multi-region for DVD's only and not for Blu-ray discs.

I can confirm that American Blu-Rays (as well as American DVD's) also play on my 350 now thanks to this hack. I borrowed "I Am Legend" American version from my cousin and tried it and it works fine. :)

28. Linnea

Linnea
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The hack is only for region free dvd playback.
    You can play "I Am Legend" American version because that film is region free. If you try to play a region A Blu-ray film on your region B Blu-ray player it will not play.

Info that "I Am Legend" American version is region free:
    Blu-ray.com - I Am Legend (Blu-ray)
    Blu-ray.com - I Am Legend: Ultimate Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)

29. alasporyorrick

alasporyorrick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As a mac user I dont have PC Suite - so I just downloaded directly with my N95 8gb and then ran the application, got the updates for the BDP-350 multiregion and found that Method 2 was the one that worked for me. Held the phone very close to the ir receiver on the Sony and it took right away.

Genius!

30. wezza13

wezza13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Thanx for the info.

It's a shame as I was looking on a couple of American sites and noticed that they have films out there already that are due a March release over here :(

I'm sure there will be a hack out soon though to make it Blu-Ray region free.