Sony BDP-S3100 and Lovefilm streaming

Fursty

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have recently bought a Sony BDP-S3100 smart blu-ray player and am really happy with it apart from one niggling problem. I subscribe to Lovefilm and have set up the player to access my account for streaming. Playback works fine, but for some reason I am unable to either fast forward or rewind any movies / tv shows that I am streaming.

Whilst the title is buffering at the beginning there's a small circular 'control pad' at the bottom of the screen which shows pause, zoom in/out and fast forward or rewind. However, as soon as playback actually starts the ff and rew icons just disappear. Pressing either the direction keys or the ff/rew keys on the remote results in an 'Option not available' or similar message.

What's even more frustrating is that the functionality works fine when viewing trailers from within the Lovefilm app, so it's just movies and tv shows that are affected. Also, just to confirm that ff/rew work fine via both my 360 and ipad, so it doesn't appear to be a connection issue.

I have e-mailed Lovefilm support, but they seem to be stumped by the problem and have so far been unable to suggest a resolution.

Has anyone else come across this either with a 3100 or one of the previous Sony models (390,380 etc.)?

Mods please feel free to move this to the streaming forum if you think it's more appropriate there.

Has anyone else got this model and got Lovefilm working on it? It would be useful to know if it's something on my player or a general problem with the Lovefilm app or something.

Hi. Frustratingly I got the little 1100 model and same thing. Such a shame as great otherwise. Ended up taking it back.

Daz

daz1976 said:
Hi. Frustratingly I got the little 1100 model and same thing. Such a shame as great otherwise. Ended up taking it back.

Daz

Thanks for the reply...at least it's not just me then!

Was yours the 'normal' or the multi region (DVD) version? I have the MR version and I have wondered if it could be something to do with that.

No, just normal one from Asda. Did do firmware update when I got it. Maybe that latest firmware was the issue!

I have the S4100 and have the same issue.

I also have a Samsung SMART TV which also does LoveFilm. Its app does allow fastforward and rewind but only up to 16x (NetFlix app is much better)

I honestly can't belive it that Sony and/or LoveFilm think this is acceptable.

However, on the bright side the quality of the picture and the sound does seem better with the Bluray over the SMART TV.

I am hoping this is a teething problem with a new model.

I've been trialling Netflix over the last month and find that their service works flawlessly without any buffering etc. on the 3100 even with my relatively slow connection speed (3.5mbps). I also find the Netflix interface much better to use than the Lovefilm one.

Although they are quick to respond to e-mails Lovefilm support don't seem to be able to sort this problem out despite being aware of it for some time now. I'll be voting with my wallet and cancelling my Lovefilm subscription and moving over to Netflix for my streaming needs.

I'm still really happy with all other aspects of the 3100 and would strongly recommend it to anyone looking for a reasonably priced player that doesn't need Lovefilm streaming.

I fully agree with Fursty regarding the superior Netflix app. To be honest I almost gave up on LoveFilm and just kept it going as I was too lazy to cancel. The only issue with Netflix is that there is less content. That being said, what is there is often in “SuperHD” and 5.1.

I think the 4100 is the same price as the 3100 but doesn't have Wifi but does have 3D.

I bought the 3100 today and have the same problem with lovefilm. Obviously it's not fixed and they have no solution.

This is the comment i received back from lovefilm "I'm afraid, I must apologise that the we are experiencing a technical issue with the fast forward option on Sony TV. We are aware of this issue and we are in the process of resolving this issue. Please be
assured that this will be resolved as soon as possible."

Have asked them for a fix date!!!!

A fix is on its way tomorrow:

From lovefilm "We have heard back from the Technical Department regarding this issue, and they have advised us that there should be a firmware update available tomorrow, 05/06/2013. I kindly ask that try updating the software on your player tomorrow, and notify us of the results."

I've updated the new software and its working perfectly now.

Good to know it's working now, too late for me though. At least I know it's working if I ever decide to go back to Lovefilm from Netflix.

After trying the instant service for a week or two I've decided to go back to receiving DVDs by post. The range of movies on instant is very poor. Not all new releases are available on instant. What's the point of offering this service if not all new releases on DVD are also made available on instant, its a crap service.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom