Sony BDP-S185 Blu Ray player suddenly lost sound via HDMI

peterm3

Standard Member
My venerable Sony Blu Ray player seems to have lost its voice after 10 years of service. I've tried a new HDMI cable, using a DVD instead of a Blu Ray, but no luck. I tried a factory reset of the audio settings. It is running the latest firmware. Is there anything I could try so that I could avoid having to replace it?
I will try to find a phono audio cable to try that.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
You haven’t stated if you've tried the most basic thing which often fixes weird faults…switch off/unplug at the power socket for 10 mins?

Gavtech

Administrator
Same mains disconnection treatment recommended for the TV because it is equally likely that HDMI sound is being killled there.

peterm3

Standard Member
@JayCee I did try that - no joy. I tried a known-good HDMI socket on my TV, with a known-good cable. Sounds is still coming out of the analogue phono connectors. Really strange - I can't see what could have gone wrong. DEcided to ebay it and buy another one second hand. Not sure I can justify a 4k player yet - seems like you still need to spend £200 to get a good one.
The old Sony cost £60 10 years ago!

gibbsy

@JayCee I did try that - no joy. I tried a known-good HDMI socket on my TV, with a known-good cable. Sounds is still coming out of the analogue phono connectors. Really strange - I can't see what could have gone wrong. DEcided to ebay it and buy another one second hand. Not sure I can justify a 4k player yet - seems like you still need to spend £200 to get a good one.
The old Sony cost £60 10 years ago!
Sounds like (no pun intended) that the HDMI circuit board has gone. The DAC is working if the analogue circuit is alive. Could be any easy fix if you can download the service manual and get the part or do as I do and take it a professional service agent.

Gavtech

Administrator
I tried a known-good HDMI socket on my TV, with a known-good cable.
HDMI does not necessarily work like that.

If your TV has wrongly decided that your connected device has a security breach, it will block the sound on it no matter which connector you try, which is why a TV power reset should be tried too.

If there are any false locks in the micro, a power reset will clear them.
It should be tried.

peterm3

Standard Member
If your TV has wrongly decided that your connected device has a security breach, it will block the sound on it no matter which connector you try, which is why a TV power reset should be tried too.

I'm not sure I understand why it would only block the sound but not the video though?

Gavtech

Administrator
I'm not sure I understand why it would only block the sound but not the video though?
It is no accident.

It is a deliberate spoiler.
HDMI was designed primarily as a security interconnection. It was not technically necessary for HD interconnection.

It was created so that content makers could retain control of their content and as part of the process of 'closing the analogue hole'.

At its simplest it is an anti copying device.
Every HDMI device is either a source or a sink device, and there is an exchange of information at every handshake.

HDMI will prevent signals (Either video, audio or both) passing to or from any device that does not meet its limitations and it can mark devices as insecure.

A legitimate device can get incorrectly so marked - which is why a reset of the interface is required.

I should add that when restarting after such resets, the sink device (TV) should be started before re- adding ( repowering) the peripheral device.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom