Sony BDP-S1500 Bluray player

Ash90

Novice Member
Hello ,
i have Denon x1500h AVR with 4k upscale feature in it ... i have a question if i buy Sony BDP-S1500 Bluray player to play my 1080p bluray discs is this model enough or should i choose 4k upscale model from sony player ?? since AVR can do 4k upscale so do i need bluray also in 4k upscale or is it okay to stick with S1500 ? just to play discs ..

Pulse1

Do you have a 4k display? If you do then your better getting a Sony UHD player as they also allow for HD Blu rays to be sent as 1080p and UHD Blu rays to be sent as 4k. If your display is 1080p then just get the S1500 and switch off the 4k upscale feature in the Denon x1500H.

Brian

Ash90

Novice Member
Do you have a 4k display? If you do then your better getting a Sony UHD player as they also allow for HD Blu rays to be sent as 1080p and UHD Blu rays to be sent as 4k. If your display is 1080p then just get the S1500 and switch off the 4k upscale feature in the Denon x1500H.

Brian
i have 1080p LED display .. should i switch off or switch on 4k upscale on Denon AVR ?

Pulse1

i have 1080p LED display .. should i switch off or switch on 4k upscale on Denon AVR ?
Switch off the 4k upscale on the Denon as you have a 1080p display. There is no point in you having anything upscaled to 4k as it would only be downscaled back again to 1080p anyway by your 1080p LED display. So you are better just getting the Sony BDP-S1500 HD Blu ray player and enjoying your HD Blu rays on your 1080p display.

gibbsy

Follow the advice above. Even in the future should you get a 4K display still have all scaling turned off on the Denon. A 4K TV will do a far better job of upscaling 1080 to 2160 than the Denon.

Ash90

Novice Member
Switch off the 4k upscale on the Denon as you have a 1080p display. There is no point in you having anything upscaled to 4k as it would only be downscaled back again to 1080p anyway by your 1080p LED display. So you are better just getting the Sony BDP-S1500 HD Blu ray player and enjoying your HD Blu rays on your 1080p display.
thanks a lot .. but what if i get a 4k tv in future and same denon avr and the same 1080p bluray player ? should i connect bluray player to 4k tv or denon AVR ? which will be a better one ?

Pulse1

Your better connecting the Sony Blu ray player to the Denon as due to the fact the Denon x1500 doesn't have eArc. Still keep the upscaling off on the Denon though and the 4k display will still do the upscaling anyway. The display usually always does a better job of upscaling anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom