Sony bdp 790 3D picture size

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mcaulb500, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Mcaulb500

Mcaulb500
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. Just bought bdp790 and generally pretty pleased, but I need advice re a couple of issues if possible. When I watch a 3D blu ray, through my optoma hd131xe projector, the picture is much bigger than my 90" screen. I've gone into menu and put in 90" in the 'size of 3D screen' option, but this doesn't make any difference. Also changing 'auto and pan and scan' options doesn't make any difference either. Changing settings in projector menu also doesn't make any difference. With this issue I can't really watch 3D movies as the image spills out of screen onto wall and is really off putting. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Secondly, and not sure if it's related, but some of my blu rays play with image in screen and black bars top and bottom letterbox style, which I like best (eg morrissey 25 live), but other blu rays (eg Hugo, les miserables) which on the box say are the same aspect ratio, completely fill my screen.

Getting myself all confused about this! Would be grateful for some advice.

Thanks.

2. Philip4242

Philip4242
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Do you have the projector set to 'Native' mode, i.e. NOT 16:9 ?

See the User Guide for additional help.

3. Mcaulb500

Mcaulb500
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply. Yes, have tried Native mode, but nothing changes when this is selected. Beginning to think something is faulty.

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    The Morrissey one is supposed to have black borders due to being 2:40:1 ratio. Hugo is 1.78:1 so full screen (same as 16:9) and Les Mes is 1.85:1 which is nearly full screen with small black borders.

As long as the player is set to 1080p and the PJ set to 16:9, everything should look as they supposed to be.

5. Mcaulb500

Mcaulb500
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replying nwgarratt. That makes sense. I guess I need to use Hugo 3D to align image to screen rather than Les Mis! Cheers for your help.

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    What native does is not do any scaling. So play a DVD which is set to 576p and with a 1080p PJ it will have black borders all around 4 sides. 1080p source such as blu ray should still be full screen as well as showing borders when applicable.

7. Mcaulb500

Mcaulb500
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Think I'm beginning to get my head round it, although, regardless of what source I use, switching between auto, 16:9 and native on the PJ always produces the same result. Is this normal?!