Sony BD Player - £530??

cj

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just got the latest issue of T3 (October's) - in the HD kit article it says the Sony Blu-Ray player is going to be £530 (due out december) and the Toshiba HD-DVD player £500 (due autumn). Anyone else heard this?

As no official announcements are made until a week on Monday I guess we'll have to wait and find out.

I believe toshiba are only releasing the top tier model in europe and not a cheaper model like the HD A1. so the prices seem about right for the tosh but Sony price seem to be a $ conversion rather than an actual UK price

RobDickinson said:
Wait and see but theres a tosh for under $500, £500 would be a mistake.

I guess it depends on what model/s they release in Europe. They know the price point is a big advantage and maintaining this position in Europe is mentioned in the recent webcast interview with the man from Tosh.

One thing to consider though is that the US price doesn't include sales tax and I'm not sure how import tax works in the US. We know VAT will bite us at 17.5% and there will probably be some Euro taxation on Tosh if the units are manufactures outside the EU. Both of these will factored in the the MSRP.

One recent post from a French source in the Tosh dealer network claimed he had info from Tosh that a unit would be €500 IIRC.

AVI

I read an interview with a Toshiba rep a while back and he said that the European hardware would be 2nd gen. Therefore it's not appropriate to compare prices with what's available in the US now. We need more information.

bishman said:
I read an interview with a Toshiba rep a while back and he said that the European hardware would be 2nd gen. Therefore it's not appropriate to compare prices with what's available in the US now. We need more information.

There is also speculation on AVS of a Tosh model update for the US market as well around the same time. I would hazard a guess that any replacement US model will map close to the existing price points or lower.

I agree it's all speculation as of now but we should have a few more details shortly.

AVI

Well as they're using P4 processors in the current raft of players, and there's just been a massive step in the processor roadmap, it would make sense to move onto a new processor model. Especially as the cost per unit of the new core processors is lower than the P4 it replaces. It should also remove some of the issues with noise due to cooling.

RobDickinson said:
A move to 2nd gen shouldnt increase the price, this is modern tech, the price should go down.

well that is only true if gen2 does not add extra features, such as 1080p, HDMI 1.3 etc etc

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom