1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony AV vs Hifi system help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jamesf, Dec 7, 2002.

1. jamesf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I've got an ageing Sony mini system (actually strangely happy with it musically - it was a reasonably decent one when i bought it about 5 years ago) that I'm finally considering getting rid of.

I spend most of my time listening to music so want decent hifi performance but don't really want to restrict myself to just 2 channel if I can help it.

Anyway, have been looking at various Sony options and could do with some advice.

If I go for an AV receiver such as a STRDB1070 is it going to be vastly inferior musically compared to a 2 channel amp such as the TAFB940? (bearing in mind I'm used to my mini system sound at the moment...)

Secondly, and along similar lines, if I went for a DVD player rather than a dedicated CD player how much difference does it make?

Speakers wise I'm going to go for a 2 speaker setup initially and get more when I can afford it. I'm considering some B&W601s (seem to get good reviews and I like the oak colour ;-)) but have also heard good things about the B&W VM1s which look striking and would probably be better suited to an AV setup.

Any suggestions greatly received.

James Frost
  2. Ian J

Ian J

Aug 6, 2001
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In general a good hifi amp is miles better for music than a good AV receiver.

Likewise a good CD player is miles more musical than a DVD player.

Marantz AV amps have a better reputation that most for two channel work but of course the more you spend the more liklihood of getting better two channel reproduction but it isn't always the case.