• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Sony AV Tuner not ATMOS enabled: connect or not connect ATMOS speakers

KiwiTim

Novice Member
I have just purchased a used Sony STR-ZA2000ES. This is a 7.2 channel 4K AV Tuner. Full specifications here:

Sony 7.2ch Home Cinema AV Receiver

I have purchased a set of Onkyo 5.1 speakers that are Atmos enabled (two up firing speakers on top of the front left and right speakers). Model number is SKS-HT588(B).

Onkyo | SKS-HT588

This is my first AV Tuner so I am completely a newbie. I have the latest firmware for the Sony STR-ZA2000ES, but Atmos is not supported. Having never set up a home theatre I am perplexed over what to do with the Atmos speaker connections.

Do I leave them disconnected and just connect up for standard 5.1 configuration?

Do I connect them up using some of the unused speaker connections on the Av tuner, since it can support up to a 7.2 configuration?

I am guessing I'd do the former, but would appreciate some advice. Would be nice if Sony released a firmware update that enabled Atmos on this box, but I'm guessing they want consumers to buy the latest model.

D

Deleted member 39241

It looks like the front speakers have separate speaker connections for the front firing and the upfiring sections.

And your AVR seems to have the option to configure the surround back speakers as front height speakers. So connecting the upfiring modules there and configuring them as heights is your best option.

Last edited by a moderator:

KiwiTim

Novice Member
Thanks for your response above. I hooked em up as front heights. They work fine, only problem is I can't get auto-calibration to work; keep getting error code 33. Will try disconnecting atmos and see if that fixes it.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom