1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony AV Receivers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by super7, Mar 31, 2002.

Tags:
  1. super7

super7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just bought a new idTV (Sony KV-28DX40) and DVD (DVP-NS300) and love the picture quality. Now need to sort the sound (What the hell does Virtual Dolby add to the equation?)...

No real idea of what to buy, but for the sake of keeping the same looks and reducing remote controls (and keeping her happy!), will start with Sony.

Anyone got the HTK 475 kit? What are your impressions? Most seem to think that the speakers are not brilliant, but is the receiver (STR-DE475) worth having? What speakers go well with it?

Also, Unbeatable.co.uk have the replacement for this receiver on their site (no mention on the official site as yet) - the STR DE485. Not sure of the differences as yet.

I presume Richer Sounds will soon have the 475 to sell off cheap, so may wait and see if that is worth having.

Cheers, and Happy Easter

Super7

2. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Just bought the 475 and am very pleased with it indeed. As you say there is a new model due (not sure exactly when), I understand it features DolbyProLogicII. My impression is that there is little software which supports this and anything new may take quite a while to establish.

The kit as you say, comes with the save225 speakers. These don't appear to be that good, although I have never auditioned them. I managed to pick up the save325 speakers from empiredirect for only £129.99. Although there are few places selling these, they appear to be about half the high st price! After a lot of ringing round, I bought the 475 seperately for £179.99 from electro cente mail order, although they do appear to have a website which was charging £10 more.

I had previously tried the all in one sony Dav300 & Dav500 systems which sounded pretty good at the time. However, with the active sub (75w rms), supplied with the save325 speakers and the 475 receiver the sound is awsome. The slim satelite speakers are remarkable given there size, and are of impressive build quality. The sub is worth £130 of anyones money even on its own.

I have the NS 300 player and a 32FX65 tv (same cabinet as yours) and the centre speaker sits very nicely on top. Also bought the sony stands for the speakers either side of the set - whole package looks very smart indeed.

Had difficulty in finding retailers with stock of the 475. All the usual web companies had none. Even a lot of the mail order companies advertising in what video had none. I thought, like you I might be able to pick up one at richer sounds - again, no joy.

I even had a job locating the stands. Many retailers were telling me they'd had them on back-order for weeks. I begrudgingly had to pay full price for them at my local sony cente, who had just received stock.

The remote which is supplied with the 475 is quite useful in that it will operate most of the features on your dvd, vcr, tv, etc.

Although I couldn't find any reviews in the usual places, I did find these which looked promising and promted me to buy the 475 insread of waiting for the 485:

http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_126717_2718crx.aspx

I have spent a while going from a tv with built in DolbyDigital to trying the Sony all in ones and now owning this setup. I am now very happy.

Hope all this helps

3. super7

super7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Simon

Thanks for the excellent reply - good advice!

I hadn't seen the audioreview website before - on my favourtites now.

Pretty much there with persuading the missus, so hopefully will be buying soon!

Cheers

Super7

4. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    FYI

Prologic II is replacement for Prologic so all vids that are labled to use suroundsound or Nicam stereo will use it.