Sony - any new PVRs this year?

CrimsonCleaver

Standard Member
Hi all,

I went to buy the Sony HDT500 at a local store but they'd run out of stock and told me the product looks to be EOL.

The store manager told me that Samsung and others were coming out with new PVRs soon but hadn't heard anything about Sony.

Was wondering if there's any news on a new PVR from Sony?

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi all,

I went to buy the Sony HDT500 at a local store but they'd run out of stock and told me the product looks to be EOL.

The store manager told me that Samsung and others were coming out with new PVRs soon but hadn't heard anything about Sony.

Was wondering if there's any news on a new PVR from Sony?
I have not heard any news... but that does not necessarily mean there wont be any.

Are you determined to buy locally? It is available online and cheaply.. here for example.

CrimsonCleaver

Standard Member
Not bothered about buying locally, just so happened that the shop was selling for £179, so a little cheaper than Amazon.

I think I'll wait now though, if it's looking that Sony could announce a new model soon. I've held off this year, so can wait a little longer

JeffD

If there is a new model coming I wonder who they'll use for the internals this time, all Sony do after all is slap a Sony case onto someone else's product then charge an extra £50, if you're lucky they tweak the software a bit for the better.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
I think Sony will come up with something. Panasonic are making a big push this year with their PVRs -- I can't see Sony not having something to challenge Panasonic and Samsung with.

I always thought that Sony's current PVR offering was very similar to the Digital Stream, but had fewer features and cost more. That said, if you have an all-Sony set-up then it perhaps makes sense to go that route.

Sony has been making big losses of late, so perhaps they'll scale-back their range and we won't see anything, but I really don't see them leaving the market segment open to other competitors, even given their current financial position.

Clem

JeffD

I always thought that Sony's current PVR offering was very similar to the Digital Stream, but had fewer features and cost more. That said, if you have an all-Sony set-up then it perhaps makes sense to go that route
That's because it is a Digitalstream underneath with tweaked software.

Futaura

That's because it is a Digitalstream underneath with tweaked software.
Is that really the case? Were the Sony PVRs manufactured by Digital Stream? I'm pretty sure the Digital Stream doesn't have HDMI-CEC whereas the Sony does. There are many PVRs now that use the same Broadcom chipset as the Digital Stream, but that doesn't mean they are the same underneath.

JeffD

Is that really the case? Were the Sony PVRs manufactured by Digital Stream? I'm pretty sure the Digital Stream doesn't have HDMI-CEC whereas the Sony does. There are many PVRs now that use the same Broadcom chipset as the Digital Stream, but that doesn't mean they are the same underneath.
Digitalstream is the OEM manufacturer for the Sony PVR, so it essentially shares the same hardware and software code base the Digitalstream PVR, one of the few hardware changes was in the HDMI chip to allow Bravia Sync (HDMI-CEC).

CrimsonCleaver

Standard Member
I'll be keeping my eye out for any new PVRs from Sony.

Does anyone know the best site or Sony PR site to keep an eye out for this kind of thing?

Futaura

Digitalstream is the OEM manufacturer for the Sony PVR, so it essentially shares the same hardware and software code base the Digitalstream PVR, one of the few hardware changes was in the HDMI chip to allow Bravia Sync (HDMI-CEC).
Aha - interesting. It's a shame the Digital Stream boxes themselves don't support HDMI-CEC (I know that not many other PVRs do either). I guess it must be to keep costs down. That's the main advantage of the Sony PVRs for me, as they would integrate nicely with all my other gear. However, the price and problems that I read about here discouraged me from buying one.

Gavtech

Administrator
I'll be keeping my eye out for any new PVRs from Sony.

Does anyone know the best site or Sony PR site to keep an eye out for this kind of thing?
The Sony site here.

However I must comment that I do not hold your faith that a newer model will automatically be a better model... quite possibly the opposite, as we are entering a much more restricted phase of hardware production.

JeffD

Aha - interesting. It's a shame the Digital Stream boxes themselves don't support HDMI-CEC (I know that not many other PVRs do either). I guess it must be to keep costs down. That's the main advantage of the Sony PVRs for me, as they would integrate nicely with all my other gear. However, the price and problems that I read about here discouraged me from buying one.
Digitalstream were the 1st to market with a Freeview HD PVR, at that time component costs for the new DVB-T2 demux chips were limited in volume and cost a premium so they probably tried to keep other components down, the Sony was released 10 months later at a time when the DVB-T2 demux chips would have been available in greater volume and at lower cost.

Digitalstream were asked if we could benefit from the Sony work, but got the answer that unfortunately the hardware did not support HDMI-CEC.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom