Sony announces new Stereo 2.0 Wireless Headphones for PS4

Discussion in 'PS4 Hardware' started by hodg100, Feb 3, 2014.

1. k17chy

k17chy
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,523
    2. stu646

stu646

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +654
      Thanks for that mate, will give it a go tonight. Hopefully sort it out.

3. benny

benny

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,032
      Uncharted 4 custom Audio preset is available now, one word, CLARITY.

4. stu646

stu646

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +654
      Still amazed there is no preset for Call of Duty. May have to try the Uncharted 4 one tonight to see how it works with COD

5. benny

benny

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,032
      Should work great mate.

6. EV3A

EV3A

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +726
      Well I've certainly not got any issues with a lack of volume, but the sound isn't great in my opinion. But I am probably on the pickier side.

Yes as I said I tried various profiles (while using setting 2), and tested using the standard setting 1.

I don't get constant distortion, it only happens on certain frequencies.

I've also personally noticed that certain games actually suffer from very harsh clipping too, take Borderlands 2 for example, through the headset there is a hell of a lot of distortion, even when characters are simply talking, and pes 2016 when the crowd cheer after you've scored a goal. Dirt rally also shows signs of distortion at higher revs.

During any game though in explosions I can definitely hear compression, clipping and distortion at the higher frequencies.

I'm now on my 3rd headset (from a completely different retailer) and they all sound the same to me unfortunately.

At the end of the day they're cheap headphones so I shouldn't expect the world. It's just a shame they don't have a more expensive (higher quality) official option. Little niggles like the power button (where you switch to off, 1 or 2) is loose, and the headphones themselves feel like they'll eventually snap as you open them up to put on your head. But again I appreciate they're very cheap headphones so I wasn't expecting high end construction, and massive drivers and high quality leather. Plastic, pleather and small drivers are inevitable given the price.

I know I can buy other gaming headphones but I tend to prefer official products, and to be honest most of these gaming headsets that you buy you tend to pay more for gaming "features" as opposed to the actual sound quality.

I'm actually wondering whether any of the distortion and compression I can hear is actually just in the game itself, similar to the "loudness war" and compression you hear on most modern music nowadays, as most audio is terrible.

The reason I'm thinking it may be the source is because I noticed grenade explosions and shotguns in the uncharted collection sound really terrible, however I've noticed the sound is much better in Uncharted 4 with much less distortion and compression. If it was purely down to the headphones then in my opinion the distortion would be the same regardless of the game if it couldn't handle certain frequencies.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
    7. sykotik

sykotik
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,271
      @EV3A
      Not that should make a difference , but try the other usb port .
      if your on your 3rd set , then something isn't right , the usb port/s may not be working correctly
      Delete the companion app and re download it again , that may not have installed correctly.

Try using them on your PC ( it's simple plug n play, but you might have to change the sound settings on the pc ,) i used to use mine on the pc before buying a game headset just for the PC and never had any problems on there either.

8. benny

benny

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,032
      My m&k 150 reference monitor speakers for 5.1 give an uncoloured, clear, precise performance, best home theartre speakers ive heard, without spending really silly money, still £4000-5000 for a 5.1 set-up, and these sony golds imo go for a similar approach, uncoloured sound,
      Delivering sound effects or trying to as is. Yeah they're not £250 but ive listened to Astro A50 and i like these better, especially at the price.
      Maybe people who dont like them want a NICE sound, smooth, rather than accurate.

9. NewfieDrool

NewfieDrool
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,154
      They are as they are, a basic headset. I've yet to hear any speaker that is natural, it's the way drivers and cabinets operate and even the speakers I produced back in 90s that were very expensive using our own Forrest filter still relied on the enclosures and driving methods that create its own characteristics.
      Sound is all down to the individual, you like one, another prefers another one.

10. benny

benny

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,032
      I agree sort of but some speakers can recreate authentic powerful audio, almost exactly as the mixer listening to it when he mixes it. M&k150s do that.

11. EV3A

EV3A

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +726
      While you're right in that different speakers and headphones do have their own sound, there are definitely neutral sounding headphones that pretty much let you hear things as they were "meant to be heard".

What people prefer is as you say down to individual preference, and often what type of music they listen to. I know some people that personally hate any enhancements, and like a very netural sound with no emphasis on highs, lows or mids.

I personally tend to prefer a more "fun" warm sounding headphone with lots of bass, but anyway my concern with these headphones wasn't the type of sound they offered, for any critical listening I certainly wouldn't use a pair of 70 quid headphones. My concern was the distortion, but after testing different headphones plugged into an amp (rather than via the ps4 controller) and the distortion I can hear is from the source itself.

In pro evo 2016 for example if you remove the commentary and listen to the pre-recorded cheers when scoring, the compression is horrendous and there is clear distortion at the top end.

12. benny

benny

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,032
      What i love about them is they go for that neutral, uncoloured sound, and they do. Ive only tried a couple of cheap headsets, around £50-£70 and they all sound imo muffled and not as clear as i would like, even the Astro A50 could have sounded clearer especially at £200+
      The Astro's offer a warmer, more bass delivery but lack that clarity and slam of say gunshots, and bullets hitting metal sound.
      These Sony golds are without any doubt imo the best value headset for the ps4, all the £200+ offerings ive heard dont give you much if it all better.

13. k17chy

k17chy
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,523
      I was using these last night as I finished off Uncharted 4 and I've found no compression issues that you have commented on. Lovely crisp sounds and more than enough bass when needed. I can run these at full whack and get no distortion. The only thing that lets them down for me is the crap mic.

14. NewfieDrool

NewfieDrool
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,154
      Yes well, I'm not sure about that from those boxes. Perhaps you had the joy to see us when we were at the London international show back in the 90s then you would have seen what we had and what we worked towards with regards to audio.
      Back ground was the guy with me was IMF then TDL before leaving them.
      Not sure you would get them on your head though :)

Image1463504461.958956.jpg

15. onezeon

onezeon

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,540
      Picked up a pair of the White headset from Amazon in the prime sale...happy to pay £49 delivered.

Should be here today and will be needed if I get the PSVR as expected:)

16. Stinja

Stinja
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,197
      Yikes, must of meant a few ballbaggings to pay for that lot :eek:

Don't forget the convenience. I actually thought my Astro A40s sounded sorta-kinda better, but the box + wires and charging mean i just use the Sony Gold 2.0s because it's less fuss (plus sound good).

I was hoping Sony would release a 3.0 Headset, maybe for PSVR, with newer tech, and say a few improvements on build quality etc...

17. Det

Det
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,082
      I need to get a new set. Pretty sure my wife threw away the dongle when we moved house a few months ago. Think I'll go for the white, maybe.

18. RedAl

RedAl
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,988
      I can well imagine your wife lobbing your "dongle" into a field. John-Wayne Bobbitt style ;-)

19. Stinja

Stinja
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,197
    20. Det

Det
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,082
      If she did that you'd see it on the news the next day because my dongle would make a crop circle once it lands.