Sony announces FX1000 - HDV 1080i, 25p progressive scan

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just seen that this has been announced and will launch in the UK in October 2008 (no pricing details as far as I can see).

Handycam HDR-FX1000E Key Features:
1080 Full HD recording on tape (HDV)
Sony G Lens™, 29.5mm wide-angle (35mm equivalent) and 20x optical zoom
3 ClearVid CMOS Sensor
Optical SteadyShot image stabilisation
25p progressive scan mode
CinemaTone Gamma™ and CinemaTone Colour™
3.2-type wide, Xtra Fine LCD
STAMINA up to 7 hours 30 min (with optional NP-F970 battery, when using viewfinder only)

Full press release below:

Discover highest ever HDV picture quality: HANDYCAM® FX1000 debuts premium Sony G Lens

• HDV 1080i recording with new 25p progressive scan mode
  • Exclusive Sony high-performance G Lens™ with 29.5mm wide angle and 20x optical zoom offers superb clarity and sharpness
  • 1/3” 3 ClearVid CMOS sensor with Exmor™ derived technology for excellent low-light sensitivity
  • Photo-realistic 3.2-type Xtra Fine LCD for detailed, high contrast framing and shot review
  • CinemaTone Gamma™ and CinemaTone Colour™ for rich, filmic tones
  • Optical SteadyShot for clearer handheld shooting
  • Advanced manual features with triple focus, zoom & iris rings

10th September 2008 - Dedicated video enthusiasts can enjoy absolute creative control over capturing pristine HDV 1080i images on HDV tape with the new Handycam® HDR-FX1000E.

Drawing on nearly 30 years of Sony heritage in developing high-performance broadcast cameras, the FX1000E teams superb ergonomics and reliability with best-ever HDV picture quality.

Advanced manual features and latest-generation Sony imaging innovation give videographers an unprecedented palette of artistic options at a real-world price that's within reach of dedicated amateurs.

At the heart of the FX1000E is a 1/3 type 3 ClearVid CMOS Sensor with a large cell size that offers superior sensitivity and dynamic range. Exmor™ derived technology further improves imaging performance in low-light and high contrast scenes, reducing image noise for professional-quality results.

Developed specially for the FX1000, a new Sony G Lens™ delivers exceptional optical performance, allowing video enthusiasts to express their full creative vision. This sophisticated lens features a unique Sony optical design concept and quality control. Moreover, it's optimised to complement the advanced image sensor and image-processing technology, thus expanding your shooting possibilities.

An extended wide-angle performance of 29.5mm (35mm equivalent) dramatically extends compositional options for dynamic landscapes and indoor shooting where distance to the sbject is limited. The 20x optical zoom range can be boosted digitally by a factor of approximately 1.5x for powerful close-ups with the Digital Extender.

Two ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements reduce chromatic aberrations caused by differences in light refraction to minimise colour fringing. The advanced 10-group, 15-element lens structure also features compound aspheric lenses for crisp, clear images even when shooting at high zoom ratios.

Complementing the high sensitivity of the 3 ClearVid CMOS Sensor, the superb light-gathering power of the G series lens delivers an exceptional low-light sensitivity of 1.5 lux (at 1/25 fixed shutter speed with auto iris and auto gain). Video and stills shooting in available light is enhanced further by Optical SteadyShot image stabilisation for clearer results when you're shooting handheld.

New to Handycam®, 25p progressive scanning mode captures lush, cinematic HD images as an alternative to interlaced (50i) recording. Signals scanned at 25p are converted to 50i before recording on tape. This allows progressive-scan images to be viewed and edited seamlessly in an existing HDV environment. ‘Filmic' quality of progressive scan images can be enhanced by new CinemaTone.

With a resolution (921k dots) four times higher than Clear Photo LCD technology, the high-contrast 3.2-type Xtra Fine LCD allows critical evaluation of photo-realistic video images. It's complemented by a 0.45-type Xtra Fine electronic viewfinder.

Augmenting its remarkable imaging performance, the FX1000E provides video enthusiasts with manual user adjustment over a wide range of functions.

Independent zoom and focus rings are joined by a new iris ring for precise, intuitive manual control over your composition. Selectable exposure/iris control allows precise adjustment of the amount of light entering the lens: by adjusting Exposure Brightness the image is adjusted in accordance with the Iris and Gain settings while shutter speed remains locked. In addition, shutter speed and gain are both separately adjustable.

Dedicated controls are provided for gain, white balance and shutter speed. There's also a focus switch for quick, positive mode selection and three switchable ND filters.

Other manual features include Shot Transition and Picture Profile. The camcorder's superb ergonomics are complemented further by three assignable buttons that put frequently-used functions within convenient fingertip reach for instant recall.

An extensive choice of compatible accessories by Sony is joined by the new VCL HG0872X high-grade wide conversion lens that provides an effective focal length of 23.6mm. Also available as an option, the SH L32W LCD hood gives improved visibility of the 3.2-type LCD in bright shooting conditions. The new LCS-VCC is a high-capacity soft carry case with plenty of accessory space.

Last edited:
Chris I really like the FX1 and am a little surprised you find the FX-7 a mixed bag..
Im aware of the build quality issues but I have used the Z1, Canon XH A1:))) , EX1 ( Its video really makes my PC sweat :eek: ) and a few other higher end models , sometimes for test purposes and dont find the FX1 lacking in comparison.
As you say this new one should be better but how exactly?

Chris I really like the FX1 and am a little surprised you find the FX-7 a mixed bag..
Im aware of the build quality issues but I have used the Z1, Canon XH A1:))) , EX1 ( Its video really makes my PC sweat :eek: ) and a few other higher end models , sometimes for test purposes and dont find the FX1 lacking in comparison.
As you say this new one should be better but how exactly?

My fx-7 on auto gives a bit better picture than my hc1,auto is best on the fx-7 but on my hc-1 manual is best and the picture set properly is as good colour wise as the fx-7 but the fx-7 is a bit sharper.what i like about my sr12 is auto i have found no need to try manual,outdoor is fine but i like auto best and i like the sr colour better than the hdv cams,i just hope the new cams have more of an EX3 look.

My fx-7 on auto gives a bit better picture than my hc1,auto is best on the fx-7 but on my hc-1 manual is best and the picture set properly is as good colour wise as the fx-7 but the fx-7 is a bit sharper.what i like about my sr12 is auto i have found no need to try manual,outdoor is fine but i like auto best and i like the sr colour better than the hdv cams,i just hope the new cams have more of an EX3 look.

So in effect you can get decent video with all 3, just knowing how to get it
The HC1 default setting are very conservative but it is great once you tweak

The SR12 is designed to be a consumer model and it would put off a lot of punters to need to tweak it but it is newer technology ( sensor and processing chip ( Bionz/ Exmor, Clearvid Ect) .. The FX1000 is bound to have at least that but Given all its controls , it may be good on auto but great once you customise the settings

The EX3 "look".. is a matter of taste .. :)

Just teasing .. I like its look too..:rotfl:

Last edited:
So in effect you can get decent video with all 3, just knowing how to get it
The HC1 default setting are very conservative but it is great once you tweak

The SR12 is designed to be a consumer model and it would put off a lot of punters to need to tweak it but it is newer technology ( sensor and processing chip ( Bionz/ Exmor, Clearvid Ect) .. The FX1000 is bound to have at least that but Given all its controls , it may be good on auto but great once you customise the settings

The EX3 "look".. is a matter of taste .. :)

Just teasing .. I like its look too..:rotfl:
With my FX-7as i said auto is best but it has a nasty habbit of losing correct balance at times when it can be a pain so it needs pointing at white clouds or a card to get it right,but even when working ok the SRs colour is better especialy natural coutryside greens and it does not need tweaking picture wise but it is consumer as you say. The FX-7 has a great lens for people like me who like wildlife filming[have not done much this year with the weather]and of course the on cam controls are fine,i would not realy want a larger cam so the fs100 is pushing it size wise for me but if the bionz/exmor,clearvid do the job it sounds very interesting.
Another look http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/find/newsLetter/HDR-FX1000.jsp

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom