Quantcast

Sony announce VPL-VW5000ES 4K HDR Laser Projector

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Damn that looks good, I want one now! Anyone interested in buying a used kidney? One previous owner, slightly battered through years of abuse.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Very very nice, what sort of price do you think £20k/£25k or even higher:)

Steve Withers

Reviewer
It's not going to be cheap Keith but if we use the VW1100ES as a guide, then I'd say at least £20,000.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Yes Sony have just told me the suggested price is €65,000 - ouch!

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I will raise your kidney bid to a left testicle and a years supply of blood donations Steve.:D

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Ouch indeed, better make that two testicles.:)

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
I'm sure it'll be well above my budget, but it's good to see such things appear. Hopefully get a demo at a forum day at some point once they are out, just to see what I could be watching in X years time.

PS: The thread title is wrong; there is a zero missing off the model number.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
I think a few people would have burst had that news taken any longer to come out. I can easily see this being £30K.
I doubt that, a list price of €65,000 is about £48,000 at current exchange rates, so who wants to bet it comes in at £49,999.

giogt600

Distinguished Member
I don't think you could sell enough body parts for this.....well not my body parts anyway....they wouldn't fetch enough in the condition they're in......well used shall we say....!!! :D

AidenL

That must be the perfect projector......

Is there a drool smilie???:cool:

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
You surprise me Gio...I thought you'd have already been onto Al and got one on order. In fact I checked the classifieds for a barely used X900. ;)

You're right Aiden, just realised I was drooling myself. :)

Rich H

That must be the perfect projector......

Is there a drool smilie???:cool:
Depends. It's bright, but no mention of the contrast ratio.

If it's bright with a lowish contrast ratio I'd probably take my current lowly JVC projector over it.

AidenL

Depends. It's bright, but no mention of the contrast ratio.

If it's bright with a lowish contrast ratio I'd probably take my current lowly JVC projector over it.
Rich, wouldn't laser most likely give a good CR? We will know soon anyway I'm guessing, isn't it being demoed currently over there I saw on the other forum?

Rich H

Rich, wouldn't laser most likely give a good CR? We will know soon anyway I'm guessing, isn't it being demoed currently over there I saw on the other forum?
Depends on how the laser is being used. For instance, the laser-driven Epson projectors didn't help advance their contrast ratio particularly. I think we need more direct laser illumination (e.g. laser is the full, actual light source) to start seeing contrast ratio benefits from laser light projectors. I believe that opens up the technology to more discrete dimming of dark areas.

Something like this:

'Contrast ratio a staggering million:1' Dolby Cinema at AMC Prime Burbank review

But I believe there are legal issues in trying to use direct laser sources for consumer gear (e.g. damaging people's eyes who mistakenly look into the light source, I presume).
Right now the selling point for how lasers are employed in consumer level units is more even brightness over time, vs bulb aging.

AidenL

Depends on how the laser is being used. For instance, the laser-driven Epson projectors didn't help advance their contrast ratio particularly. I think we need more direct laser illumination (e.g. laser is the full, actual light source) to start seeing contrast ratio benefits from laser light projectors. I believe that opens up the technology to more discrete dimming of dark areas.

Something like this:

'Contrast ratio a staggering million:1' Dolby Cinema at AMC Prime Burbank review

But I believe there are legal issues in trying to use direct laser sources for consumer gear (e.g. damaging people's eyes who mistakenly look into the light source, I presume).
Right now the selling point for how lasers are employed in consumer level units is more even brightness over time, vs bulb aging.
I was lucky enough to see Jurassic World in the Chinese Theatre in Hollywood last month - same specs as Burbank I think? it was very impressive.....

panman40

Distinguished Member
£49,999.. Just placed my order o_O, my body parts are mint, never smoked or drank... :D

Steve Withers

Reviewer
I was at a demo of the IMAX Laser at The Empire Leicester Square two weeks ago (article coming) and that was very impressive, best blacks I've ever seen at the cinema.

Nodular

I experienced some great blacks the other evening when we had a power cut! :D

Trending threads

Latest News

TV sales rise as UK stays home
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 30th March 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
UK telecoms come together to keep country connected
  • By Andy Bassett