Sony announce new VPL-HW45ES Projector - news discussion

Why do big companies feel the need to rename a product and re-release it? Is it just to get rid of stock of earlier model? I'm not convinced at all that this is not just a HW40 in a new cardboard box with all labels renamed to HW45 but I can't see why they do it. Would people that already have a HW40 really be silly enough to replace their HW40 for one of these for no real significant difference I can see? I mean people who don't have a HW40 would just have easily bought a HW40 instead if they wanted it. It seems this is simply to make an older model into a new model in date terms so people don't think they are buying something old. Marketing.... aarg :mad:

The Chassis is one of the only things I would change on my HW40 if I could - why they made it long instead of wide is beyond me but I'd want 4k before i consider upgrading.

I love the chassis design in black, like a shiny scarab beetle!, I hate upgrading that's why I bought a HW65 yesterday ...:laugh:

I love the chassis design in black, like a shiny scarab beetle!, I hate upgrading that's why I bought a HW65 yesterday ...:laugh:

I wish manufacturers would stop making things out of black shiny plastic!

I have mine on a PJ table and the thing is an absolute dust magnet, not to mention swirl marks when cleaning. Can't they make it out of the same plastic as the PS3 slim?

I wonder what will happen to the prices of the 40ES now this is being introduced!

I wish manufacturers would stop making things out of black shiny plastic!

I have mine on a PJ table and the thing is an absolute dust magnet, not to mention swirl marks when cleaning. Can't they make it out of the same plastic as the PS3 slim?

I wonder what will happen to the prices of the 40ES now this is being introduced!
I expect not a lot, the last of the 55's were only marginally reduced I think.

The HW40.

So have you written anywhere if you noticed any significant difference between them at all? Looks to me like exactly the same chassis and lens assembly (lens is the weakest part of the 40,45,50,55 models IMO)

So have you written anywhere if you noticed any significant difference between them at all? Looks to me like exactly the same chassis and lens assembly (lens is the weakest part of the 40,45,50,55 models IMO)
Not yet, yes same chassis but has the iris and a few more bits n Bob's in the menus, I haven't written anything up yet as only had it last night, it would be unfair to compare it to my calibrated 40 running a filter to the ootb but with basic adjustments 65 I think.

Should have some feedback by the end of the weekend after I calibrate it.

What is the point of having a 6000 hours lamp if the panel itself can only last for 500 hours?

On the Sony's website the attached booklet states that it has Iris 3. It would be a major change from hw40. Wonder what is the difference from hw65 now.

Attachments

• Sony HW45es handout 2016.pdf
    817.5 KB · Views: 140
On the Sony's website the attached booklet states that it has Iris 3. It would be a major change from hw40. Wonder what is the difference from hw65 now.
If it has an iris then practically nothing I would say.

Don't wish to be rude, did you actually read the booklet? Iris only applies to the 65

Pl see the data sheet where both hw45 and hw65 have been compared side by side.

Sony UK's website is a bit all over the place - too much careless cut and paste. It says iris is HW65 only in some text but then lists iris3 for both 45 & 65 models in a table for comparing features. I downloaded last year's brochure literally the day before they updated the download for this year's kit. Detailed comparing specs (as I nearly pulled the trigger on on HW40 last weekend but had been holding out as I expected an update) has revealed so many incosistencies that I feel I need independent verification for all sorts of things. As it stands it seems the HW45 got better, but at what cost?

Most prob not any iris on the 45 guys (Can't see any other differentiation 65/45, worth mentioning, otherwise)

This is confusing... so many and similar looking models in this Sony projector range. They producing these for ages...
The normal customers won't know what's going on. Though i would be curious of the new price... As i know Sony stuffs it won't be cheap and maybe you can get a better deal on a second hand HW65...

The HW65 wasn't a big leap from HW50ES or 55ES, but it cost double or more... So why do we need something between a HW55ES and HW65? I don't get...

I would suggest Sony to release a budget 4K projector, rather than keep re-producing the existing projectors. :)

Last edited:
The HW45 won't be between the 55 and 65 ?. It's a replacement for the 40 same as the 65 was a replacement for the 55. That's how I see it anyway!.

You could be right, but is a HW50ES or HW55ES a better projector then?
I think the new model is going to be more like a "cheaper" version of the HW65... but who knows? It's confusing anyway. :D

You could be right, but is a HW50ES or HW55ES a better projector then?
I think the new model is going to be more like a "cheaper" version of the HW65... but who knows? It's confusing anyway. :D
The HW45 is the new entry-level Sony Projector, the HW55 is the outgoing mid-range projector. What's confusing about it?

Edit: maybe the confusion is due to the fact that the HW40 seemed to punch a fair bit above its weight, and was not a million miles away from the HW55.

Well @panman40 has just gone from a 40 to a 65 and isn't exactly bowled over by the difference. From this I would expect the differences between the 40 and 45 to be practically zero.

I wonder what all the internal changes are, I wonder if it's just a built in 3D RF transmitter and a different lamp?

Looking at it cynically I would agree that all they have done is a few tweaks so they can release a new model getting exposure and a couple more years out of the 1080p projectors.

If you are looking at the 45 I would suggest trying to find a 40 cheap.

Anyone have a rough idea of what this will be priced at?
I don't know for sure but I would expect it to be the same as the 40.

I don't know for sure but I would expect it to be the same as the 40.

Although they might stick a couple hundred on for the "upgraded electronics". :rolleyes:

I would still expect it to be around £1999, surely they wouldn't go above that?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom