• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony Announce Entry into Tablet Market

hodg100

Distinguished Member
Sony are getting in on the act with the announcement of the 'Sony Tablet' brand that will feature two rather nattily designed models. The (codenamed) S1 is 'optimised' for media entertainment and the S2 is aimed at those for whom mobile communication is important.

Both products will feature Android 3.0 which is designed for devices with larger screen sizes, particularly tablets. Both tablets are WiFi and WAN (3G/4G) compatible and users can not only browse the internet or check e-mail but there's also seamless access to Sony’s premium network services.

The S1 has a 9.4-inch display whilst the S2 has two 5.5-inch screens that can be folded. The S2's unique dual screen allows its displays to be combined and used as a large screen or for different functions such as playing video on one screen while showing control buttons on the other.

“Android 3.0 is a new version of the Android platform with a new holographic user interface that is designed from the ground up for devices with larger screen sizes, particularly tablets. I'm excited about “Sony Tablet” as it will further spur the development of applications and network offerings which users are looking for.” said Andy Rubin, Senior Vice President, Mobile, Google Inc.

Both the S1 and S2 will be available worldwide sometime in the Autumn, presumably with different product codes, but we like the simplicty of the codenames!

alsablo

Standard Member
That is great news.
I've been waiting for SONY to make a nice tablet. I'm still not sure about Android after playing with it in the shops, but at the same time, I'm not to keen on Apple limiting what i can do.
So I'm waiting for someone to come up with a tablet that has the simplicity and smooth action of the Apple ipad/ipod/iphone, but at the same time, lets me properly multitask and open separate windows next to each other, move music and other content easily between computer and device, without the annoying aspects of Apple, such as the messy confusing syncing and transferring process that is restrictive and quite often ends up in people losing their content, all caused by Apples' ugly greedy nature, in not wanting you to have anything not purchased from them. I don't blame them, the education system trained people to think in that way, and the world rewards them for it.(for now, but not much longer)
I understand the controlling of content for quality purposes at times, but to restrict so much and make it hard for me to swap and change things from my imac to other apple devices is too much.
This behaviour will ruin them if they are not careful.
Thanks for the news.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom