Question Sony Android TV owners: How bad is it?

ezman

Hi, thinking of getting the Sony KDL43W75 at around £360.

I know Android TV on Sony's has a bad rep but some say things have got a lot better recently.

Does this ring true or am I likely to be wrestling with the damn thing - and then...Sony release 2016 models which are perfect whilst not updating the old ones, like a smartphone nightmare!

Thanks,
Ezman!

markanali

Standard Member
I had the same worries as you, but in the end took the risk of buying a 49x8305 from JL a week ago. First thing I did was to let it update its firmware. After that, I have been relieved to report that for my usage there have been no problems and the user interface has been responsive and very functional. Things like Youtube are very quick and watching HD and 4K works really well, although I have fast broadband that can cope. I've not seen any noticeable lag, this was what I was most worried about.

My use case is:
- a Virgin TiVo box on HDMI
- an external Sumvision Android Kodi box on HDMI
- and using inbuilt smart functions like Youtube and android screen casting
- NO use of internal tuner / Youview / Freesat etc.

prezzacc

Standard Member
I notice you say NO internal use, if you were to use it, how good of a quality are the youview etc? Im wondering wether to switch from Samsung to Sony but want reasonable quality from the build in tuner.

Good to hear things are improving with the system

ezman

Thanks all, some reassurance, which is good, I have placed an order but also willing to cancel - I'd love the 43 inch version without the smart features which I'd add myself via a set top box.
I have been reading through the Sony community which has filled me with fears that this will be a forgotten TV come 2016 and I'll be left with a buggy TV to wrestle with for the next 3-4 years!

stevewestern

I have just placed an order for a 55" 8509 Sony, and did so after much reassurance from my local dealer, who claims that while there were problems early on they are fairly well sorted now, and that they are selling fast with VERY FEW returns or call-outs. I was going to warn him that I would have no hesitation in calling them out at the first signs of any problems but he beat me to it by saying that it is what he tells all his customers such is his confidence..

DrMekon

Ive just sent my 55" x8509c back, after nearly 90 days.. got fed up resetting the bloody thing.. and I wasnt prepared to simply put up with the bugs. Yeah, the picture quality was good, but I just could live with everything else, and I think its shocking that Sony put a range of TVs out that are plagued with so many issues...

I didnt even suffer many of the problems most people have, as I wasnt using any of the external tuners, no need for USB recording (just as well really!).. but I did want to use the Android platform heavily (plex, kodi, casting).. which, yeah, could be better served with an external box.. but why should I? Putting it simply, the box just didnt have the hardware to support the OS....

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Have the bugs been sorted out with the latest updates? I'm curious as I'm in the market for a new TV.

stevewestern

Have the bugs been sorted out with the latest updates? I'm curious as I'm in the market for a new TV.
I'm not the best person to reply as my use has so far been very limited but we've had no problems at all after a week. We got ours from a local dealer who was cheaper than online with free delivery and the promise of rapid help should we even have any problems as their installers are always nearby - they spent best part of an hour setting it up and explaining it to me. They claim not to have had any callouts in the last couple of months. Does this help?

bladerunner8801

External Android Box's are so cheap and yet so powerful these days that I would not let having an Android facility in a TV determine if its worth buying or not, I use an cheap £40 External Android Box with a 2ghz Quad core Processor and optimised Apps that run well on that processor and I use it with an Air Mouse Remote which works really well, and as Android hardware improves I can simply replace the Box, unlike the Android built into a TV, I notice TV manufacturers never seem to issue specs for the Android Hardware inside the TV's?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
To be honest, I'm not that bothered about the smart tv services although at present I run a hcpc for kodi, iplayer and Netflix and occasionally a ps3 so I guess the TV having this functionality would appeal, providing it works okay. Ultimately it's picture quality that counts but I wouldn't want to use something that crashes or freezes. It sounds like on the whole the TV works fine and I use sky as my main source anyway.

ezman

Well I got the TV I mentioned, the 43w75 and it's been fine, the android system has demonstrated a few minor quirks, but in use the remote is responsive, and the TV has been a pleasure, and I guess if you're using Sky (I'm using the inbuilt youview) then you have even less to worry about.

JamesHost

Novice Member
since firefox OS is also sh*tty, I added a chromecast 2 to serve spotify & plex streaming.

So far it's a very good solution for 30-40£ (funny £30 fixes a £1600 TV :p)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom