Sony and VLC sound issue

georgeb

Standard Member
I have recently purchased a Sony XH9505 49" TV - very happy with it and has been working fine. I have connected a portable usb drive with various movie files and have watched these through VLC app over the last couple of days. However today when I tried to do the same thing I only get a picture - no sound??? Evrything else works with sound - Youview, freeview, fire stick but when I play a file through VLC no sound. I thought it was maybe a file format issue but I'm now trying the same movie I watched the other day and there's no sound - in fact every file I choose has no sound. I've uninstalled and reinstalled VLC but nothing.
I just wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar and had resolved it. I've tried using the native Sony media player and they work fine - only downside is there's a few files that aren't recognised on the sony media player which is why I was using VLC. Or perhaps someone knows a better media player? BTW I did try kodi but same again - picture and no sound. Could it be a tv setting??

rascal6000

Standard Member
I have recently purchased a Sony XH9505 49" TV - very happy with it and has been working fine. I have connected a portable usb drive with various movie files and have watched these through VLC app over the last couple of days. However today when I tried to do the same thing I only get a picture - no sound??? Evrything else works with sound - Youview, freeview, fire stick but when I play a file through VLC no sound. I thought it was maybe a file format issue but I'm now trying the same movie I watched the other day and there's no sound - in fact every file I choose has no sound. I've uninstalled and reinstalled VLC but nothing.
I just wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar and had resolved it. I've tried using the native Sony media player and they work fine - only downside is there's a few files that aren't recognised on the sony media player which is why I was using VLC. Or perhaps someone knows a better media player? BTW I did try kodi but same again - picture and no sound. Could it be a tv setting??
Hi George

Did you get anywhere with your no sound issue? I have the same problem, I've tried several media players including the one on the Sony BDP and its the same for each. Nothing wrong with the files, I can play them with Roku and I can cast them to the TV

georgeb

Standard Member
Hi George

Did you get anywhere with your no sound issue? I have the same problem, I've tried several media players including the one on the Sony BDP and its the same for each. Nothing wrong with the files, I can play them with Roku and I can cast them to the TV
Hi, I managed to solve my issue by doing a soft reset on the tv - holding down power button for a few seconds until the prompt comes up to restart. It then all started working again fine

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED EVO Review (OLED65G1)
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom