1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony and Sony retailers response to problems

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Fencer02, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Fencer02

Fencer02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reading all the threads regarding HD3 HD5 SS3.1 etc , I wonder if we might have a common thread to put all the reponses we get to various problems in one place .At least we could get some idea of how these things are being handled and offer where necessary a coodinated reponse.

I have issues with My HD3 I am very unhappy with the recall (mine is in the serial numbers) also very unhappy with the retailers complete lack of any response at all.
    I will start this off and post the corespondance I have had with sony thus far. If it helps anyone so much the better.

Ist reply

Thanks for the full and frank reply........My unit does indeed fall into the serial number range. I am aware that the contract exists between myself and the retailer,the retailer is however not willing to discuss any remedy at all other than returning the unit to you.They were quite willing to stonewall me in a shop full of people, well some anyway, with no regard for reputaion at all. I have never quite come across an attitude of zero negotiation. especially as Argos are apparently exchanging or doing credit notes on the basis of the recall on its own. I bought the thing at absolute top dollar £249.00 for the precise reason that I expect some better resolution of difficulties ,I would have been better off buying from amazon at a lesser price as they to appear to understand the sale of goods act better than Viewsell seem to.

You may want to go have a look on www.avforums.com at the MP3 player threads , there is a fair head of steam building up about Sony and its recall and HD5 button problems.

I would add I have purchased Sony products for many years now and in fact bought one of your DAB portable radios not a month ago, and have been a keen user of mini disc for over 10 years and have had 4 sony tv's over the years and various top end short wave radio's......It seems a shame that this faith in your products has suffered a dent, because of your dealers complete bare faced intransigence.... I would add at no time did any discussion become heated or argumentative on my part , to lose ones temper is to instantly lose the argument.

Thanks again

k

SUK, General CIC wrote:

>
    >
    > Thank you for your recent email, I am sorry to read of your recently
    > encountered problems.
    >
    > The NW-HD3 'recall' you speak of in your email only refers to specific units
    > with certain serial numbers. The problem encountered by these units has
    > entailed us to determine an engineering fix and not a recall or replacement
    > of the player. The affected units fall within the following NW-HD3 serial
    > number range 500001~521790 for the UK models and 600001~611595 for European
    > models. Regardless of the serial number, if you believe the unit to be
    > faulty then you may send it to the Sony Central Service department (address
    > located at email footing). It will then be fixed free of charge, under the
    > guarantee supplied by Sony United Kingdom Limited. If the unit is not one
    > of the affected serial numbers then you will need to include a copy of the
    > proof of purchase, in order to validate the products warranty status. A
    > covering letter would also be advisable in order to direct the engineer
    > towards the problematic issue, whilst making a note of the serial number
    > will allow you to monitor its' progress.
    >
    > It is with regret that Sony United Kingdom Limited will not be replacing or
    > refunding the unit. When a product is purchased, you and the supplying
    > retailer enter into a "Contract of Sale". This is a legally binding
    > agreement, which your dealer has full responsibility for. They are also
    > responsible for offering their customers service under the guarantee
    > provided by the manufacturer. Therefore, if your product becomes faulty, we
    > can only recommend that you refer to your supplying retailer so that at
    > their discretion, a replacement might be offered. A full refund can only
    > be provided by the retailer at their discretion, as it is to them that you
    > have paid your money.
    > I was also concerned to read of your difficult dealings with the Kingston
    > Sony Centre, but you were taking the correct action in directing such a
    > complaint to Viewsell Limited. I have passed the complaint forward to the
    > relevant people within Sony United Kingdom Limited, and, although you will
    > receive no direct feedback, it will be looked into accordingly.
    >
    > I hope this email is a useful source of information to you and does not
    > cause further disappointment.
    >
    > With Regards

Thank you once again for contacting Sony United Kingdom Limited.

I can wholeheartedly agree that any service policies employed by a Sony
    retailer will reflect negatively on Sony as manufacturer. However, I would
    again take the time to stress that the Kingston Sony Centre operate 100%
    their own policies in such circumstances, which is why retailer's such as
    Argos are offering clearly very different principles.

I hope this sour experiencing with Viewsell Limited does not mar your
    opinion of Sony products and manufacturing procedures.
    With Regards

2. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    The only issue with is, is having many different discussions in the one place. This may actually confuse issues. It will be difficult to create one coordinated response, when talking about several different issues (different models, software/hardware problems). The whole reason for multiple thread forums, is surely so different topics can be discussed seperately.

Have you called the Sony recall number to get your issues addressed
    directly?

3. Fencer02

Fencer02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The seperate threads is indeed a stregnth in may ways , however what we have here is a common set of problemsbeing addressed by one manufacturer and a series of different retailers all operating under sony policy. Individual retailers may operate different policies but at the end of the day the policy is dictated by whether Sony will take the stuff back and issue credit to the retailer. these issues are complex involving returns targets, sales targets all sorts of things. R-The equipment is different the policy is comming from one source...

No I have not rung the sony number nor do I intend to. The machine has an inherrent intermittent design or manufacturing fault. Obligations under the sale of goods act are clear. They change it or they refund it. Some retailers however will do almost anything to avoid this. In this event the only redress is to make sure everyone is aware of the particular retailers response to a problem and are then free to make their own mind up whether they wish to deal with this retailer or not.

4. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    firstly got to say kudos for using the word intransigence, i love that word lol.

secondly there is a major flaw in sonys apparent argument, if items are sold as it why cant you actualy test them? they are boxed up and even if you could test them most faults reported here developed after a weak or two more testing than you could do in a store anyway, seems like a lose lose situation for consumers here.

and finaly i got to say they have some brilliant email writers at sony there, every email i have read by them seems very very good and usefull, like they are really trying to help. That is untill you actualy analyse it and reaslise they have done nothing at all!

5. Fencer02

Fencer02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes they are good at that are they not.................Lines and lines and no resolution or offer to really solve the problem.

k

6. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Every email I have read from Sony is a load of patronising dribble. Like watchinthewheel says, they don't help with your originally problem, they simply type out nonsense with no relevance at all! In fact, they probably just have one template they send to everyone !
    KWOKS.