1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony and Philips models

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by waterboy, Jun 21, 2003.

1. waterboy

waterboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd like some advice please. I'm trying to choose a decent 32" widescreen telly but I'm going to be buying blind, not having access to any stores locally where I can view the sets I'm interested in.

I believe the winner of the What Video awards was the Philips 36PW9607. Can anyone tell me what the equivalent 32" model is/was? What is the current model if that's now discontinued?

I note that one of the runners-up was the Sony KV32FX66U. Can someone please explain the differences between:

KV32FX66U
    KV32FX66 < is this the same?
    KV32FX68

Is the KV32FX68 as good as the KV32FX66U?

I'm one of those who doesn't notice any flicker on 50Hz TVs, and yet the only 100Hz tellies I've seen are in the local store where the gear doesn't appear to be set up correctly (the pictures on some lower-end TVs looked better than some 100Hz models that were almost œ2000). Am I in for some disappointment if I were to buy a decent 100Hz TV unseen, or are the SOny and Philips sets mentioned above of good enough quality to overcome any misgivings I may have about 100Hz?

Many thanks for any advice on these points. :smashin:

2. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't help you with details of model numbers but I can help with some of your other comments.If you don't notice flicker with 50hz then I'd leave 100hz alone,it has some issues with "lag" and "smearing".For me that's a small price to pay for the lack of flicker,50hz makes my eyes go pop!But if you don't notice flicker then it's not an issue,the problems inherent in 100hz will be.There are meant to be 100hz sets that don't suffer these problems but they will cost you(such as Loewe)and why worry if 50hz flicker isn't an issue for you?As for the Philips you mention;I have a pixel plus set and have to say they're not worth the money,if you can't view first you should beware!

3. dragon77

dragon77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can recommend the JVC AV32R25EKS great picture (50hz) and fantastic sound with subwoofer.Cost £659 from shopathills.

4. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Sony FQ70 and very pleased with it I am too. Retails about £900 I think. Only 100hz problems I notice are when there are scrolling credits, these appear blurred. But haven't noticed any other problems.

Don't read credits anyway :devil:

5. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The KV32FX68 is slightly below the KV32FX66 in the Sony range. The FX66 has a digital comb filter and a slightly upgraded form of 100hz, (100hz digital plus while the FX68 has standard 100hz)
    though I haven't tried out either of these models so I can't say if there is any visible difference in the picture.

I wouldn't form an opinion on any equipment because of its' status in magazines such as What Video. Philips Pixel Plus is constantly praised in the A/V press, but the reputation of this technology among the A/V community is pretty dire.

If there is no way that you can audition the equipment before buying it, I would make sure that you work out an agreement with whoever you buy the tv from that if you're not happy with the performance of the set, then you can return it without any hassle for either a different tv or a refund.

A good look through this forum shows that buying a new television nowadays is a bit of a minefield, even when buying from the "top brands".

Good luck!

Bob.

6. waterboy

waterboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the replies.
    Bob said
    Understatement of the year I reckon ;)

I've read so many posts on here, along with some reviews and many user opinions from uk.media.home-cinema that I'm done in, lol. Half the time I can't even find certain current models mentioned at all on the web so can't include those on my list of possibles.
    I've read many positive comments on the Toshiba 32ZD26 and then read a couple of articles moaning about a 'black veil' covering the picture. Don't like the thought of that! Then I thought the JVC 32D25 looked like a goodun ... until I found the mega-thread on here (seems a significant number of people are complaining that this set is faulty). Maybe Loewe is the way to go as these sets appear to be highly respected? Apart from the fact that there are threads on here covering various issues people have found with their Loewe sets....

Obviously there's no such things as a perfect TV but even though I try to bear in mind that many people are happy with their purchases there are enough horror stories on here to put me off.

I really don't fancy having to dismantle and manhandle a 32" set that weighs a ton in order to return it to the online dealer if the thing's faulty on delivery (or develops a fault shortly after purchase, as seems to happen frequently). Living in a small apartment I have no room to keep the packaging of a 32" telly anyway! And then hope that the replacement set is better and hasn't brought with it problems of its own. If I'm forking out (say) £1000 on a TV I want one that is pretty much guaranteed to work first time with no list of issues. I hope that the people posting on here with problems with their sets are in the minority but it seems to me that manufacturers admit that there are known problems with their sets so the chances are that the majority of the sets out there suffer from certain defects. I'm expecting too much, obviously ;)

I'm going to give up the search for now. I'm going to stick with my two year old Panny 29" 4:3 set. I think it has a great picture. There are no geometry problems to worry about. It doesn't crackle, buzz or fizz. It's picture doesn't have any noticeable banding anywhere, or discoloured patches or white lines around the edge. Maybe I've just been lucky but I think I've got a set that works well ....

Thanks for the replies anyway. It's always interesting reading now I've found these forums. When I regain my strength I might have another go at choosing a 32" er :rolleyes: