1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony and Grey Imports

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by simon1, Feb 24, 2002.

1. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    With so much competition in the consumer electronics industry, I am wondering how much grey imports are getting through to ordinary retailers.

Just over a year ago, I bought a Sony micro hifi system from Currys (only cos it was a good price). I was surprised to find that the power lead actually had a european moulded plug, which then had a standard 3 pin plug fitted over it. I wondered if it could have been a 'grey import'. In the end I just forgot about it.

Recently, I have bought a Sony DVPNS400 dvd and then a Sony Dav 300 from a mail order catalogue (got a very good deal). Again, both of these had moulded european plugs converted to 3 pin.

Could these be 'grey imports', or is it now common practise for Sony UK to supply products like this?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There is normally a clue in the serial number. Many makes (not sure about Sony) tuck a letter on the end which denotes the country that it was supposed to be sold in.

There are quite a few (normally internet) dealers who deal in grey imports. Examples are those that sell silver Yamaha amps.

I have no doubt the same sort of pricing structure exists as in the car market whereby the manufacturers think "It's for Britain, let's charge them more" which makes it profitable for dealers to source their stock from Europe.

Certain manufacturers (eg Denon with 3802 and Pioneer with 545) doen't seem to be able to judge demand correctly leaving lengthy waiting lists and this is another recipe for parallel importing from elsewhere in Europe as dealers try to fulfil demand.

3. Clarkey

Clarkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    AFAIK all Sony stuff have those funny plugs on

4. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I think you might be right about manufacturer's not judging demand. Sony seem to be in short supply of some gear from what I've read elsewhere.

5. Justin@UH

Justin@UH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Correct:) A dead giveaway of imports is on brands such as Pioneer, Denon, Marantz and Yamaha. If any of these products come with a screwed on euroadaptor, the dealer is usually importing them themselves, as the manufacturer usually changes the power leads (i.e Pioneer pop in moulded plugs).

Although theres been occassions recently when we`ve had a few Marantz SR4200s come in with euro plugs on:( Another way to check is the warrantys being offered - Marantz, Denon, yamaha all have 2 years standard warranty from authorised dealers - if in doubt ring the manufacturers dealer line :D

6. Frank2

Frank2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do not accept equipment without a moulded power plug unless you are comfortable with the implications.

CE legislation requires the following:
    1. A moulded plug (This to avoid wiring mistakes)
    2. The moulded plug must be the correct type

Manufacturers and retailers are obliged to implement CE. A failure to do so is a criminal (and not a civil) offence. Company directors are directly responsible when things go wrong.

If the equipment supplied to you does not meet CE, contact the local Trading Standards Officer. This person will be obliged to follow up your claim.

You can use this knowledge to your own advantage too!