Sony and ATRAC

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by MartinImber, Sep 11, 2007.

1. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Have Sony just stopped selling ATRAC or do their new players not play it as well?

Thanks

2. AnilS

AnilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    I've heard their new players have moved to windows media player.

Atrac was hopeless.

3. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,604
    Connect stores in USA and Europe will be closed, details forthcoming. New players support MP3 and WMA only. Patches will be released for people to convert their Atrac files

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Removing ATRAC support seems strange as it means that someone with an older Sony player does not have a reason to stay Sony.

Bit of a silly idea I think!

5. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855

The Atrac codec certainly isn't hopeless, Sony's DRM strangulation and Sonicstage software ruined it.

Various Listening tests have been performed by professional bodies and labs over the years and Atrac always came out on top.

6. kevH

kevH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Agree with Uridium here the atrac sound was good it was just like he says Chronicstage killed this in the end and IMHO its a step forward that Sony are now entering the real world where consumers want all codecs to play on all machines !!:smashin:

Now theres a radical thought !!!

If i can talk to the ex missus for the sake of the kids why cant sony apple creative microsoft et al talk for the sake of the consumers !!!

7. micaab

micaab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11

Sorry but disagree with that statement fully.

The ATRAC codec is not hopeless. It is an efficient codec producing a high quality sound.

I prefer ATRAC to MP3.

8. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Bit silly not having a player which can handle ATRAC - lack of legacy support basically means that if you have lots of ATRAC tracks you might as well buy anything

9. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Plus am i not right in thinking sony's own PS3 supports Atrac playback

10. micaab

micaab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    it does

what happens to the Sony store (Connect or whatever it was), I thought purchases from there were ATRAC format?

11. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    They are, whether or not they will supply some conversion software is anyone's guess. Guess you could burn them to CD then rip back to codec of your choice afterwards.

12. Van Dam

Van Dam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +788
    I suspect the only time Sony will support ATRAC again is if they release any new MiniDisc players/recorders, but this looks highly unlikely as there are still no news on any future releases. I really hope they bring out something new on MiniDisc so that ATRAC lives on. :D

13. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I still think they should allow it to play back ATRAC or the buyer may as well buy a Creative Zen or similar.

If you have to convert you might as well buy anything.

BTW I am not keen on MP3 as I find quite often they sound muddy.

MY current portable being MD is ATRAC or uncompressed only

14. peterjf

peterjf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Agreed - I currently have about 43GB of music which I keep on a HD1 and a HD5H. Given Sony's distinct lack of high-capacity players in the recent past (and the silence from them on any future players), there is no reason to think that they have another high-capacity player in the pipeline.

If I have to convert my collection to MP3, I am going to need a player of at least 80GB to achieve roughly the same sound quality (and prefereably more, to avoid the need to continue carrying two players round with me). As I do not see Sony releasing any significant high-capacity players in the near future, the only choice for my next player may be a 120GB iPod - and then only if I can get the converted MP3s to play gapless.

Of course, if Sony release a higher-capacity player that still supports ATRAC...

15. toomanygadgets

toomanygadgets

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Atrac not being supported on new Sony devices!? Is that right? And what about improvements for Sonic Stage will they be supported?

I've just bought an NW-E016 (4gb) for £70 (my first Sony player). Using the Sonic stage software for the first time it wasn't half as bad as I had expected from all the comments I read.

:) I was BLOWN away by the sound quality of the NW-E016 (and battery life is great). I've got a Zen Micro V Plus and iRiver Clix 2nd gen and the ATRAC loseless sound better than those (using MP3 320 kbps and WMA).

Will the new Sony players support OGG I wonder?

16. matt78

matt78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    To all intents and purposes Sonic Stage and ATRAC are now legacy products. The new S-series and A-series walkman products are drag and drop, allowing easy transfer of MP3 and WMA files to your walkman.

This doesn't take away the point of buying Sony. Sony provides much higher quality earphones with the A-series than competitors do, and Sony battery life is significantly better than iPod. Overall sound quality on the Sony machines is excellent and, without the previous restrictions to hold it back, the Walkman brand should really take off again in the coming months. Conversion patches will avoid established Sony users with large ATRAC libraries being left in the cold.

17. matt78

matt78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Sony have turned their back on Hard Drive based personal audio so its unlikely that we'll see a high capacity walkman until flash memory supports it. With Pro-Duo now being a viable Handycam format (in the wonderful CX6 HD Handycam), flash memory may develop faster than you might expect.

18. KiNeL

KiNeL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    And about time too !

If Sony hadn't stubbornly and doggedly clung on to Chronic Stage and their irritating but ultimately futile DRM then they could be in a much more dominant position in the DAP market. As a device I absolutely loved my HD5 eventually however it became a threat to my sanity and I was forced to consign it to eBay.

I swore then that I would never ever consider another Sony portable product and bought an Archos Gmini and latterly have also bought 60gb Creative Zen Vision M.

Being reasonably satisfied with those I'd slightly lost touch with the scene and indeed, until very recently, hadn't even bothered to checkout the new Sony players at all.

When I did I was very pleased to find that they have finally seen the light and now properly support MP3 AND, perhaps more importantly, Drag-n-Drop, hallelujah I cried, I MIGHT just put Sony back on my list of future possibles but then what do I find, they've abandonded HD players and 8gb is tops which is totally, utterly, and fatally for Sony, useless to me.

I want more space not less for Gods sake, or at the very least equal. So am I likely for one nano second to consider giving up 20gb on the Archos and 60 on the Zen for a pathetic 8gb, no way Jose, so sorry Sony, as quickly as you went back on my list you're struck off again.

Madness............!

19. stuge

stuge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    New Sony players Like NW-A916 does support Atrac

20. jian

jian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    If you can explain why, I'd be interested to hear it.