1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Analog to digital conversion

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by dnhannam, Sep 9, 2003.

1. dnhannam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Hi All,

I really hope someone can help me with a problem thats been driving me mad for weeks.

I have two camcorders, an ageing Sony Handycam CCD-F355E and a new Sony DCR PC120E. I'm in the process of trying to convert all my old Video 8 tapes to DVD using the PC120E as the signal converter between the Handycam and the PC. The instructions in the mannual appear to be very straight forward and I'm sure I have followerd them to the letter. However I can't get any video to appear on either the PC120E or the computer, I have been able to manage it with the audio though. I am using the standard cables that came with the PC120E.

Can anyone shed any light on the issue ? is there a vital step missing out of the operating instructions ? or can anyone direct me to someone who can ?

I'd be very grateful for any help or advice.

Thanks - David
  2. MarkE19

Aug 10, 2002
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Rainham Essex
    Hi David and welcome to the forum :hiya:

Right I don't know what you have tried or even the camcorders so I will go through what I know. Have you tried copying the video to the new camcorder onto tape? Some camcorders convert on the fly and others need to record to tape. Assuming you can convert on the fly try the following:
    Connect the analogue outputs on the old camcorder to the analogue inputs on the new (red & white phono for audio (if sterio) yellow for video).
    Connect the new cam to PC via firewire.
    Put the old camcorder into playback mode
    Put the new cam into VCR mode (some cams need a setting activated from a menu to get the conversion going)
    Start the capture software.
    Press play on the old cam and you should now see the video on the new cam & PC.
    Start the capture on the PC.

As I said above, I don't know what you have tried. If you have done all the above then I appologise, but it is easy to miss something simple.