Standard Member
Reaction score
Please can someone help me.

I'm trying to set up the following devices:

Sony DH800
Panasonic 42 TV
BT Vision box
PS3

Could some kind soul please confirm what is the best way to connect everything up? I'm currently getting everything to work other than sound through my amp when watching BT Vision.

Many thanks

Hey mate,

This is how i would do it:

PS3 to amp via HDMI
Bt vision to amp via HDMI
Amp to TV via HDMI

Do you have an old or new slim PS3?

Cheers

Saf

Edit: I dont know it the bt box can output dd sound via hdmi (sky boxes cant so idk if its the same with these). You might need to connect the bt box to amp with an optical lead as well so that you get sound through your amp.

Last edited:
Thanks Saf - I've an old PS3 - I thought I needed an optical cable as well between the tv and PS3??

Hey mate,

Not for the PS3 you wont. In fact using an optical lead for the ps3 will limit your sound options in that you wont be able to get HD audio over optical.

For the bt vision box, it looks like you will need to connect it to the amp via optical lead and then use the following settings to get digital sound through your amp:

BTVision> Settings> General Settings> Digital Audio Output
The digital audio output (SP-DIF) from the VBox can now be set to either Stereo or 5.1 Surround Sound to match the audio device you are connecting to.

For the PS3 you will need to go into VIDEO SETTINGS, then go to BD/DVD AUDIO HDMI, set that to LPCM. This will send all audio including HD audio to the amp in its uncompressed format. Your amp will display as 'multi channel in'.

Cheers

Saf

Thanks so much Saf - so its as you have suggested above with an additional optical cable from BT vision to amp....I'll try that...

No probs bud :smashin:,

Any probs let us know and i'll try and help

Cheers

Saf

sorry lad that hasnt worked - did as you said but dont seem to get video or audio for BT Vision.....

Do you know if vision outputs 5.1 via HDMI or do I need the Digital Optical cable as well? I thought I read on another site / forum that PS3 needs the digital optical cable as well as HDMI?

Sorry for the hassle mate

sorry lad that hasnt worked - did as you said but dont seem to get video or audio for BT Vision.....

Do you know if vision outputs 5.1 via HDMI or do I need the Digital Optical cable as well? I thought I read on another site / forum that PS3 needs the digital optical cable as well as HDMI?

Sorry for the hassle mate

Hi mate,

no worries about the hassle, we wont learn if we dont ask!!

ABout the PS3 first off, you definaltely dont need an optical cable if you are connecting it up via hdmi. The unique feature of hdmi is that is allows for the transmition of both HD video and HD audio at the same time. You need to change the settings on your ps3 to use HDMI for sound on your ps3 dash. Off the top of my head, i think you need to go to SETTINGS, then AUDIO SETTINGS, then you can choose you audio source i.e. Optical, HDMI, Multi AV OUT. Choose HDMI and then you can tick the various sound types i.e. DD, DTS 2ch LPCM. The change it to LPCM in the video settings.

If that doesnt work for some reason, try resetting the PS3 by holding the power button unitil you hear two beeps. Keep the HDMI connection in. When you power it up now it will default to the factory settings and will detect the hdmi cable. You should then get an option which says 'Use HDMI for video and audio' select yes and select the sound types. This should sort it.

For you bt vision box, it seems as though it has the problem as sky in that it wont transmit audio over HDMI. This is very bizzare and no-one quite knows what the reason behind this omission is! You may find connecting the bt box directly to the TV via HDMI may sort your problem out as there is potentially a handshake problem between bt box and amp. Then attach it to the amp via optical just for the audio and change settings as previously mentioned..

I'm not too familiar with sony amps but i think you may need to assign your video/audio inputs.

Let us know if that works

Cheers

Saf

Last edited:
Could someone please help me.

I'm trying to set up the following devices;

Panasonic 42" tv
Sony DH800 amp
PS3
BT Vision box

I have a harmony 515 remote and would like to set my system

Its not straight forward because I've only found out this morning that for some channels (such as Sky Sports news) BT vision only output in 4:3 - changing the Aspect on the TV makes no difference!!

So I want to watch "TV" through the freeview on my TV (with audio going through amp)

I want to have a setting on my harmony remote to watch "BT Vision"

and I want to be able to watch DVD's / Blu-ray through my PS3

Could someone much wiser than me tell me the best way to do this...

For those of you not familiar with BT Vision I'm informed by their helpdesk that both video and audio is output through HDMI (unlike sky)...so I dont think I need a Digital Optical cable here...

Please help!

I have merged your threads, as you already had a thread running on the setup of your amp.

Setting up your Harmony remote is best asked in the remote section.

Thank You.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom