Sony amp problem

Clarkey

Standard Member
Reaction score
Got T2 ultimate edition through this morning, was looking forward to watching it, but no such luck.
I choose the dts track, the dts intro plays fine, then the THX intro comes on and when the sound gets loud the amp dies and flashes 'PROTECTOR' on the screen, i turn the amp off and back on again and start the THX intro again, this time it plays fine, but then a couple of minutes later when the first action scene comes on, it dies again. Any ideas what the problem could be? Its an STR-DB830 btw.
Thanks

Most amps have built in protection modes you should check your speaker wire connections for frayed wires and make sure the speakers are the wright ohms for your amp just unconnect everything and start from scratch.does your amp have a fan inside can you hear it running check that aswell.

I dont think its the speaker wiring, i can play 2ch music at full volume (read 12 o'clock) and it doesnt cut out. Ill check it though, I also heard switching to 4 ohm might help ill try that too. It seems wierd though, only seems to happen on T2 (either DD or dts), I tried out U571 dts at pretty high volume during the depth charge scenes and that didnt make it cut out either. All speakers are bi-wired so wiring will take ages, ill try switching off the speakers one by one, hopefully that will determine if its the fronts rears or centre thats causing it.

ok so this is strange, ive just playes the same scene from t2 which caused it to cut out no matter what last night, and it didnt cut out, even with the volume set even higher than it was, amp is at full working temperature too so i dont think it could be down to overheating either. I think this amp is stuffed tbh, good oppurtunity for me to upgrade to a nice denon lol.

i have just searched google on this problem and it seems a few people have had this problem with sony amps i think :smashin: your just better of getting a new amp denon are a very good choice what model are you thinking of buying.

how much are you thinking of spending

£200 max.

and as an update on the origonal problem, I just found the problem, short circuit on the rear left speaker, DOH!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom