1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Amp LFE indicator

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by AndyH, May 7, 2002.

1. AndyH

AndyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi,

My Sony 930 has a flicking level thingy for the LFE channel - which I'm increasingly beginning to think is totally arbitrary!

Anyone got any comments? It seems to go mental when I can't hear stuff, and I've just played the THX crossover test from the T2 DVD and it hardly flickered at all!

Maybe I should put a post-it over the top so it doesn't annoy me..

Cheers,
    Andy

2. baileych

baileych
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This doesn't surprise me at all. The crossover test from the T2 DVD doesn't use the LFE channel (otherwise it wouldn't be testing your crossover).

The test plays a downward sweep through the front channels. This is so you can setup either your crossover settings on your amp or your crossover settings on your subwoofer if it's connected via speaker level outputs on the amp.

This assumes that your light is measuring the level on the LFE input and not the output level on the sub pre-out.

I find it a little disturbing that Sony feel they need to give you an visual clue when you should be hearing the bass :confused:.

Charles.

3. AndyH

AndyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yes, I always did think it a bit of a gimmicky indiciator.

But I thank you for pointing out my error, I've just re-read the THX Optimode stuff over at thx and you're correct - the crossover test doesn't use the LFE!!

So why is it called LFE crossover test... grr.

Are there any discs out that *do* test the LFE channel with a sweep of some kind?

4. andyp

andyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Ha! I've been meaning to post just such a question for a while! I totally agree with you on the LFE indicator being quite random, I have a DB-940 and it drives me nuts!

Prior to the recent purchase of my Strata III sub, I sat through film after film for months thinking, if only I had a sub (to go with my B&W 600 S2 set-up), I am apparently missing so much according to this annoying indicator. Now I have one, I am still apparently missing loads of LFE, err…. but I’m not!! Nice one Sony! ;)

Andy P.