1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Amp Help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by STOWITBELOW, Nov 27, 2002.

Tags:
  1. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I have all Sony TV, A/v equipment but no amp. I would like some help finding/choosing an receiver. I'm looking at new or second hand (although second hand they don't seem to be so cheap) the models I've been trying to find more about are STRDE 875, .....935. ........1070. .......1080. They vary in price from £300 ish to £500, depending on source. I have Pascal SAVE835ED speakers, & wil luse it to listen to CDs, DVD, films etc. (mainly DVD) I dont want another speaker so I'm not bothered about 6.1, preferably silver in colour (to match other components) I would like a decent output (100w+), often 2nd hand stuff seems more expensive than discount stores. Price aside I dont even know which offers the best performance/value. I see from the other threads the 1080 seems better though of than the 1070. Any one with any experience of any recievers, good or bad preferably Sony please let me know.:confused:

2. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Which I personally think is excellent. Multi-channel stuff like 5.1 and DTS is superb. Some, not all, state that Sony amps and rec's can sound a little harsh, but with the right speakers and set up, they can sound thouroughly cinematic.

As everyone here will tell you try and listen to what you are after.

Oh, and I am happy to admit that it is not fantastic in 2 channel mode, altough I did not purchase it to listen to music. However, it can handle acoustic stuff like Simon and Garfunkel very very well.

Captain.

3. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Another vote for a 1070. Watch what you pay for one though, make sure it's less than £300. :)

4. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Thanks, anyone else anything to say about my options?

5. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Hello i have finally desided on a 1080. I myself dont have the room for any more speakers but dont forget dpl2 which you won't get with the 1070.Try looking at the 780 at around £230 if the 1080 is to much at around £370.

6. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Is it right the 780 is the same spec as the 1080, but 5.1 as opposed to 6.1? Anyone know if it's ok. The 1070 seems to have bad press in this forum for cd playback, hows the 780 compared with the 1080/1070? Obviously its £100+ cheeper.

7. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Not from my posts it doesn't.Ensure the signal is delivered from the analogue output rather than the digital one though.

8. JRHAY72

JRHAY72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own a 1070 and think it does an excellent job.

It has 100W per channel output but you may find trouble getting it in silver (I did and had to settle for the black version!) as I believe this model is now discontinued (replaced with 1080).

Cheapest have seen this amp for is £299 from richersounds.

9. Sienna

Sienna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 1070, nothing but praise for it - fantastic - although still cant work the remote!!!

10. Slime101

Slime101
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are approx 300 1070's in curry's central warehouse available by special order through your local store for £250 :D (or £225 if you know an employee!!)

11. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Very interesting, of course you only have to find one cheap dealer to get price matches with every other one. A 1070 at £250 seems bargainous, & I doubt there is a better buy. I suppose it depends on if you like the sound of the 1070, the bad press I was refering to was on another thread debating over the 1080 vs 1070. They mainley seem to critisise the cd replay through digital output. I wonder if it would get as much critisim if it was compared against £250 amps, rather than £600 gear. (Its' original price) I'll certainly be trying Currys if I don't get told otherwise on here.

12. super7

super7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Stowitbelow

To see more about the STR-DB780, search for my thread 'First Impressions'. I'm very happy with it, and like you, have an all Sony setup.

Super7

13. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Sad Sony person, my stuff is ...... KL50W2U, SLVE710, DVPNS705V, SAVE835ED,driven by RM-AV2000T. I've found them all great, & am upgrading from a DAV300S, which was also v-good. I think that Sony provide all good (if not the best stuff) at a reasonable price. (If like me it is bought cheap ie: some 2nd hand, or discounted) It's a bit like getting an Audi, its never going to be a Rolls Royce, or a Ferrari, but its a long way off a Ford etc.

14. Slime101

Slime101
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having just recieved my STRDB780 i can say its absolutely awesome :D - only tried it with digital Coax from my NAD cd player and radio as my new DVD isn't here yet but fiest impressions - WOW, what a difference :)

15. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Thanks for everyones advice, got 1070 from Currys, in Silver £250. I cant understand the remote, & it all seems rather difficult to figure out. I'm sure I'll be asking advice about connections shortly.