1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony AMAZING Grand Wega 50" Rear Projection Television

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by obiwan, Nov 29, 2002.

1. obiwan

obiwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Im not sure how long this RPTV has been around.

I was in Exeter Sony centre today and they had one on display. The picture is seemed to be easily equal to plasma if not better.

I was amazed at the quality from this lcd projector.
    Anyone here got one??

2. mh66639

mh66639
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It didn't fair too well in the review by What HiFi and only got 3/5 stars.

The title of the review was "Sony Grand WEGA not so grand."

Matt.

3. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Another example of personal preference.Regardless of a magazine review,if you think it's good then it is.Conversely only an idiot would buy a television costing upwards of £1500 on the strength of a mag review (appologies if i'm being hard on idiots here). ;)

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,907
    It's innards are pretty much the same as the 'Award Winning' VPL VW10 HT LCD projector. Odd, then, that the one got an award at the time, whereas the other didn't.

I tend to take reviewers' comments with a pinch of salt anyway. Too often, they don't understand, well enough, what they are dealing with and make what are actually stupid comments, and mark down the product as a result.

For example, when HCC (I think) reviewed the predecessor to this TV - the KL50W2 - the reviewer commented adversely on the omission of any convergence adjustment. (Was mentioned in the text, and was listed in the 'Against' column in the summary)

(If you didn't know - LCDs' convergence - which is actually not convergence, but panel alignment - never drifts, so, if set right at the factory, will never need adjusting - unlike CRT RPTVs which DO need such a feature). I'd have put this one down as a 'for' - but there you go.

I, too, think the Grand Wega is a gorgeous TV. And, it will never suffer from any Screen Burn, Geometry, Bounce or Convergence problems, nor from external magnetic fields. It will, however, need a new lamp from time to time.