Sony AG9 OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

randompixel

Standard Member
Reaction score
This is the owners and discussion thread for the Sony AG9 series (A9G). Available in 55", 65" and 77".

Sony AG9 | MASTER Series | OLED | 4K Ultra HD | High Dynamic Range (HDR) | Smart TV (Android TV)

Screenshot 2019-06-03 at 20.57.45.png

Reviews:

Last edited:
Looks nice and can't wait to hear your thoughts , had a play with one at the weekend in the sony center and was really impressed from what i could see.

Congrats :thumbsup:
Looking forward to your thoughts on this tv :)

I own a ZD65 which I absolutely love (best TV I've ever owned) but MAY have to downsize to a 55 so might look at this and an alternative. Looking forward to your thoughts.

I had a good 30 mins with this TV today in 65 inch.

Lots of different demos and tests etc.

Simply stunning.

To my eyes was superior to the Q90 and E9.

I think if you are in the market for this TV then you will not be disappointed.
One thought would be how will the Panasonic GZ2000 compare?

I had a good 30 mins with this TV today in 65 inch.

Lots of different demos and tests etc.

Simply stunning.

To my eyes was superior to the Q90 and E9.

I think if you are in the market for this TV then you will not be disappointed.
One thought would be how will the Panasonic GZ2000 compare?
Probably better in every way other than motion o_O

and physical looks (imo) :D
Prefer the looks of the Af9 myself,a tv for the classier people of this world:smoke:

Would like to see a good side by side comparison with the Ag9 and the Gz2000, but it seems like that may be months awayo_O.

2 days in and still no slideso_O. Avf members not like what they used to be:(,:)

Had a good look and play with the Ag9 again today and it looks really good and sounds great but IMO it looked alnost identical to the af9 beside it which isn't a bad thing but to my eyes the C9 I tried looked every bit as good with a lot easier interface , I know the Sony is a class product but I really think they are all good.

Some thoughts after a few days usage:

Most viewing on “cinema” mode. Natural (to me) looking skin tones out the box although the picture has a notable “dullness” - I guess compared to some Dolby Vision stuff, SDR is just dull! Ha. Nothing I won’t get used to though.

• Netflix - Our Planet - Jawdropping.
  • YouTube - 4k nature clips - Jawdropping.
  • Sky Q - HD channels, some content amazing (The Planets, to the point where I was drooling at the graphics rather than listening to what Prof Cox was saying), some content not as sharp (Dave HD show promo grey slate, BBC Two idents). Last Week Tonight looked good but not amazing - some more softness in some of the graphics.

Even SkyQ guide can be a bit fuzzy, even when set to 4k10bit. Don’t know if just a settings issue on TV or something all 4k TV's struggle with when upscaling. Trying Custom at the moment without changes.
  • SKY Q - SD channels, varying depending on bitrate but nothing that'd stop me watching.
IMG_20190603_212045.jpg
Aesthetically the TV looks great, although the AF9 still beats it just. Not had any issues noticing reflections in the stand. The big "kerchunk" noise it makes when press the stand-by button is weird.

Android TV I've had no issues with. Setup was a breeze. No noticeable slowdown, although the Nest app was being odd last night and not loading (any ideas if you can Force Quit an app?).

However, my entire favourite thing is with a single voice command you can do this:

(Blinds down, accent lights on, TV on)

Can I ask what TV you're coming from and what put the AG9 at the top of your to buy list?

Review up on flatpanels.

Review up on flatpanels.
What the actual f.... is wrong with Sony?!?!?

Sony A9G runs Android version 8 (Oreo) and has the same MediaTek SoC as the X950G (XG95). Compared to last year's A9F OLED flagship it is actually a downgrade on the MediaTek hardware. It has the same MediaTek chip but with less RAM (2.5GB vs. 4GB). Why Sony has decided to downgrade the chip in its flagship TVs for spring 2019 is not clear but the same is true for the 8K Z9G. Sony Android TVs are already underpowered so reducing RAM is obviously the wrong trajectory.

What the actual f.... is wrong with Sony?!?!?

Sony A9G runs Android version 8 (Oreo) and has the same MediaTek SoC as the X950G (XG95). Compared to last year's A9F OLED flagship it is actually a downgrade on the MediaTek hardware. It has the same MediaTek chip but with less RAM (2.5GB vs. 4GB). Why Sony has decided to downgrade the chip in its flagship TVs for spring 2019 is not clear but the same is true for the 8K Z9G. Sony Android TVs are already underpowered so reducing RAM is obviously the wrong trajectory.

I was reading how even Panasonic opted for the MediaTek chip and that it limits the capabilties of the HDMI ports so there's less chance of HDMI 2.1 features getting added at a later date.

"In terms of picture quality, it is really hard to pinpoint noteworthy improvements compared to last year's Sony OLED TVs. It feels like Sony has repackaged and rebranded the same TV panel for a third time now"

giphy.gif

"In terms of picture quality, it is really hard to pinpoint noteworthy improvements compared to last year's Sony OLED TVs. It feels like Sony has repackaged and rebranded the same TV panel for a third time now"

giphy.gif

Oh good lord....

Owners/Sony fans are really going to hate that little dose of reality...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom