Sony AG9 OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

oh i dont watch SD/HDTV. never will,.. its awful.

but i agree. if ur into watching BBC one and eastenders.. getting the best upscaling tech available should be top priority.

lg are awful too. no dts. wtf are they thinking..
Your forgetting every other terrestrial tv channel in the UK too , but hey ,get a decent Sony and you may not find it so awful too watch , might even sound decent too without external sound !!

Your forgetting every other terrestrial tv channel in the UK too , but hey ,get a decent Sony and you may not find it so awful too watch , might even sound decent too without external sound !!

somehow i dont think the sound is going to make me leave my normal speaker setup. i dunno how people can buy TVs more expensive than £1k and not have a sound system.

i dont watch terrestial TV tbh.. i find it awful. netflix, blurays, games.. sports tho is good!

I do love Sony's upscaling and motion tho. one thing i really liked about sony projector was the upscaling and motion. just dealt with sources so cleanly and cinematically.

i had an epson PJ before and as good as it was, going back to the old sony made everything feel that little bit more comfortable and natural.

somehow i dont think the sound is going to make me leave my normal speaker setup. i dunno how people can buy TVs more expensive than £1k and not have a sound system.

i dont watch terrestial TV tbh.. i find it awful. netflix, blurays, games.. sports tho is good!
Its not about having a sound system though is it , its about having the choice of either using your external set up OR just turning the tv on and getting pretty good sound , ive been listening to Tidal on my AG9 tonight via the tv speakers (music profile ) and I genuinely prefer it over my Denon 3600 setup

Its not about having a sound system though is it , its about having the choice of either using your external set up OR just turning the tv on and getting pretty good sound , ive been listening to Tidal on my AG9 tonight via the tv speakers (music profile ) and I genuinely prefer it over my Denon 3600 setup

oh god maybe you need new speakers :D
i suggest arendal. they blew me away man audio quality wise.

Nothing wrong with my speakers , genuine question ,have you ever listened the either the AF9/AG9 in your home for any length of time ?

Not in a home envrionment. Only in store. Maybe we should take this conversation else where as I feel am polluting this thread a bit.

I woudl say tho if <120 watt speakers from TV are bettering ur current speakers.. maybe due an upgrade?

Nothing wrong with my speakers , genuine question ,have you ever listened to either the AF9/AG9 in your home for any length of time ?

Actually mate.. maybe you are right! Until I've heard them in my own home envrionment, there is no way to properly judge them. Maybe they really do better sound systems 5.1+ sound systmes once settled in a good envrionment in which case Sony are going down a very good path with the speaker tech.

its short sighting of me to bash or complain about a feature which I haven't personally experienced in a proper envrionment personally.

I hear what you are saying about inbuilt speakers on tvs @kenshingintoki but unfortunately not everyone can have a full surround set up, and it's not always due to money.
I used to and i loved it.. had atmos ceiling speakers the whole shebang but due to circumstances in my house I just couldn't use it due to the roaring noise it made so I have to make do with tv speakers unfortunately.
At this point in time the tv top of my list is a gx77, 1k more than your cx77. i'm will to pay 1k just to get my tv closer to the wall a couple of inches.

I also had a AF9 oled back in the day and believe me the acoustic sound p1ssed over any other tv I had for sound.

Not wanting an argument or whatever just get a little ticked off when I always read people say stuff like "any serious av user it not going to buy a 5k tv then use tv speakers are they" etc
Some people just don't have the option due to whatever circumstances :)

Not in a home envrionment. Only in store. Maybe we should take this conversation else where as I feel am polluting this thread a bit.
Very true , but seeing as this thread is dead lets carry on , and maybe you should think again before condemning Sony for its speaker tech without actually hearing it in a home environment , especially seeing as I doubt very much it contributes very much to the overall price of the set.

I hear what you are saying about inbuilt speakers on tvs @kenshingintoki but unfortunately not everyone can have a full surround set up, and it's not always due to money.
I used to and i loved it.. had atmos ceiling speakers the whole shebang but due to circumstances in my house I just couldn't use it due to the roaring noise it made so I have to make do with tv speakers unfortunately.
At this point in time the tv top of my list is a gx77, 1k more than your cx77. i'm will to pay 1k just to get my tv closer to the wall a couple of inches.

I also had a AF9 oled back in the day and believe me the acoustic sound p1ssed over any other tv I had for sound.

Not wanting an argument or whatever just get a little ticked off when I always read people say stuff like "any serious av user it not going to buy a 5k tv then use tv speakers are they" etc
Some people just don't have the option due to whatever circumstances :)

Very good point! speakers take up so much space and when you add in the price and cost of an AVR, the built in speaker design by Sony for some people could be awesome!

I do kind of stand by that if anyone gave me a budget of £5k, I would never suggest they blow it on the display alone but I guess its their money and its up to them. From my personal experience, my biggest AV upgrade which blew my mind was going to a 5.1. a big subwoofer causing earthquakes is just insane! but you raise some excellent points i agree with.

For the GX, I would suggest rather than paying £1k, pay a handyman to drill into the wall so the bump of the CX goes into the wall. it looks insanely good and better than the GX.

or if you don't need HDMI 2.1, go for the AG9 from JL.

Very true , but seeing as this thread is dead lets carry on , and maybe you should think again before condemning Sony for its speaker tech without actually hearing it in a home environment , especially seeing as I doubt very much it contributes very much to the overall price of the set.

i completely agree mate! its what i wrote in my second post. if i haven't heard it in my own home envrionemnt (or somoene elses) I probably shouldn't have such strong opinions on them. very shortsighted of me.

and as jmacc mentioned, some people might not have the space for any speakers due to logistcal reasons and from that perspective, the sony then moves into its own completely different class.

I'm still not convinced they go head to head with a decent 5.1 audio setup (especially for music, just due to the law of physics, the power and placement of passive speakers, the fact a subwoofer really provides an LFE i feel most devices would struggle to replicate) but I'll take your word for it (I personally prefer music simple, in stereo).

Very good point! speakers take up so much space and when you add in the price and cost of an AVR, the built in speaker design by Sony for some people could be awesome!

I do kind of stand by that if anyone gave me a budget of £5k, I would never suggest they blow it on the display alone but I guess its their money and its up to them. From my personal experience, my biggest AV upgrade which blew my mind was going to a 5.1. a big subwoofer causing earthquakes is just insane! but you raise some excellent points i agree with.

For the GX, I would suggest rather than paying £1k, pay a handyman to drill into the wall so the bump of the CX goes into the wall. it looks insanely good and better than the GX.

i completely agree mate! its what i wrote in my second post. if i haven't heard it in my own home envrionemnt (or somoene elses) I probably shouldn't have such strong opinions on them. very shortsighted of me.

and as jmacc mentioned, some people might not have the space for any speakers due to logistcal reasons and from that perspective, the sony then moves into its own completely different class.

I'm still not convinced they go head to head with a decent 5.1 audio setup (especially for music, just due to the law of physics, the power and placement of passive speakers, the fact a subwoofer really provides an LFE i feel most devices would struggle to replicate) but I'll take your word for it (I personally prefer music simple, in stereo).
It's not even a space issue mate, i have plenty of space in my lounge. And yes it sounds amazing when the fat bass is roaring around the room, feeling it all through your body and sound all around you.
I miss it but just cant have it.
Probably see what the new 3d sound headphones are like on ps5 and have to make do with that :)

Actually I much prefer stereo for music ,but seeing as the the AG9 doesn’t have a sub it really does sound good with music ,hence why I prefer it over my Denon Reciever

I have to say, I’m experiencing the same challenges regarding sound as others. I’ve gone from full 7.2 system with separates, to a sound bar with rears - thanks to my wife and now I don’t even get that sound bar past around 9 on the volume level due to the 2 yr old sleeping on a night which renders the bloody system pointless! :facepalm:

So from owners, if I was to buy one and use a sound bar, would I have an issue using internal apps for sound? It’s a key use by my wife currently of the C8 and a dealbreaker is the sound is an issue through internal apps.

Appreciate any views of those using the internal apps.

So from owners, if I was to buy one and use a sound bar, would I have an issue using internal apps for sound? It’s a key use by my wife currently of the C8 and a dealbreaker is the sound is an issue through internal apps.

brand-dark.svg
About our ads
You may also like

Appreciate any views of those using the internal apps.
I had issues with sound drop out with the internal Apps , since I updated to the A8H firmware these issues have reduced considerably , even on the AG9 firmware all I had to do to get sound back was toggle between Tv Speakers and Audio System in Quick Settings as seen in the picture below
31B20167-703C-4226-8876-719C4B75EA74.jpeg

I had issues with sound drop out with the internal Apps , since I updated to the A8H firmware these issues have reduced considerably , even on the AG9 firmware all I had to do to get sound back was toggle between Tv Speakers and Audio System in Quick Settings as seen in the picture belowView attachment 1329331

Cheers, how easy was it to get the A8H firmware?

Sounds like the perfect tv I have always wanted. It’s just the uncertainty of a release date, could unfortunately be ifa 2021 for all we know.
be real hard for me personally waiting to possibly hear something at 2021 ces when all current 77 OLEDs will de dropping in price and not to mention the massive temptation of Black Friday 2020.
woppys tv would be a good deal for someone who lives close by him or is willing to travel but it‘s a big bugger box and won’t just fit in any old car.
and then off course the Covid situation and some people not wanting to unnecessarily travel and expose their vulnerable loved ones to this nasty virus for the sake of a tv.
cheers
The A9 48" OLED is getting released at the end of August, it states it on their website lol

Theres nothing been mentioned yet , there's nothing stopping them putting it out right now ,as it installs and works perfectly

Unless it's officially released it will probably invalidate your warranty. Better to wait for official release

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom