Sony AG9 OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

dts197

Distinguished Member
What does that do mate ,I’ve never heard of them before
I have a room with lots of different Philips hue smart lights, including the TV gradient strip. Connected via wifi and my avr runs through the sync box. So the light in my room changes depending what's on screen. And it works very well.

Wez68

Distinguished Member
I have a room with lots of different Philips hue smart lights, including the TV gradient strip. Connected via wifi and my avr runs through the sync box. So the light in my room changes depending what's on screen. And it works very well.
Ohh right ,sounds cracking 👍

jockychan

Xmen apocalypse on film 4hd i tell you what even top hd looks like 4k on the AG9. Apologies the photos don't do it justice
20210113_213317.jpg
20210113_213114.jpg

Mallett94

HD, 1080p. Just loading up Netflix had it enabled and had a weird yellow tint to the text in the descriptions. Can't remember it being like this when I first for the AG9 or my last set.
I would go into the advanced Xbox settings, set resolution to Automatic and then of course enable the different refresh rates, 60, 50 & 24. Set the colour space to the default of 8bit f SDR or whatever it's called. Then in the HDR options uncheck DV and try just HDR10. Then Xbox will autoswitch the colour space from 8bit to 10bit for HDR content. Enable YCbCr 4:2:2 as well.

When watching HDR on streaming services from an external hdmi device, people generally get better results forcing HDR10 than using the inferior low latency DV.

Of course the native Netflix player app DV is fantastic, but you want external device so something has to give unfortunately.

This article about Xbox settings might help => Xbox One X 4K HDR Color Settings Quick Guide

HTH

[email protected]

I would go into the advanced Xbox settings, set resolution to Automatic and then of course enable the different refresh rates, 60, 50 & 24. Set the colour space to the default of 8bit f SDR or whatever it's called. Then in the HDR options uncheck DV and try just HDR10. Then Xbox will autoswitch the colour space from 8bit to 10bit for HDR content. Enable YCbCr 4:2:2 as well.

When watching HDR on streaming services from an external hdmi device, people generally get better results forcing HDR10 than using the inferior low latency DV.

Of course the native Netflix player app DV is fantastic, but you want external device so something has to give unfortunately.

This article about Xbox settings might help => Xbox One X 4K HDR Color Settings Quick Guide

HTH

I find DV in Plex via a nvidia shield pro to be excellent. Same colours and brightness as DV via Plex internal tv app.

[email protected]

Any good looking DV blurays people recommend?

John Wick bluray in DV looks amazing.

Attachments

• BDC93D08-A3CA-4EA9-B996-E31C53E31C05.jpeg
    BDC93D08-A3CA-4EA9-B996-E31C53E31C05.jpeg
    200.7 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

lukather101

I normally struggle watching any ITV series because of poor quality but I watched all the episodes of The Pembrokeshire Murders last night and the picture was really good, super clean with not a hint of floating blacks.
Very impressive :lesson:

Slugsy01

Distinguished Member
Bringing
I normally struggle watching any ITV series because of poor quality but I watched all the episodes of The Pembrokeshire Murders last night and the picture was really good, super clean with not a hint of floating blacks.
Yes, we have been watching it, really good for HD at 77”! Impressive!

Slugsy01

Distinguished Member
I’m itching to really get into my Apple library of films to test this big bad boy out, but I’m having a real wrestling match with the missus (not in any good way:laugh:). She’s got very fond of the size (I’m on a roll here:D) and continually wants to watch crappy re-runs of Friends and How I Met Your Mother etc! This was not the plan!

I think I might have to slip into the house move plan, a decent size loft where I can get @jmacc services in to make it a dedicated cinema room!:laugh:

Mallett94

& @Slugsy01
Recorded from ITV One HD or via ITV Hub?...

Slugsy01

Distinguished Member
Fellow owners, I have sad news

The AG9 has finally been defeated!

The wee one is watching some 90’s Mister Maker show, jesus its awful! No TV on the planet could make this look good! :laugh:

Mallett94

This is a good read about 24p, 3:2 pulldown and natural motion judder in films and TV series filmed at 24p. I would be interested to know people's thoughts on this as I think it's an interesting point of discussion and potentially (probably) the 'average consumer' doesn't have this knowledge? => The Big Judder Problem and the Overhyping of 24p

Mallett94

Direct ITV one mate, never used the Hub, is it any good?
& @lukather101

ITV Hub/Hub+ seems to have different quality depending on which device/service you have it from.

I always record direct to USB HDD connected to TV from the native freeview guide. HD channel live broadcasts are much better quality than what is provided on catch up.

Only time this is false is for BBC where some series are show in 4K HLG HDR on iPlayer. Only downfall then with those is only a stereo soundtrack.

techdiver

For those of you that came form an LG (especially a CX/GX) to the AG9 is there anything you genuinely miss or in your opinion is the AG9 superior?

I have the opportunity as of today to either take a refund for my second CX or replace it with an AG9.

Rousey40

For those of you that came form an LG (especially a CX/GX) to the AG9 is there anything you genuinely miss or in your opinion is the AG9 superior?

I have the opportunity as of today to either take a refund for my second CX or replace it with an AG9.
In my humble opinion the AG9 is a superior set for my requirements, movies and streaming mostly. Incredible picture quality. Not just as snappy OS wise but not enough of a downgrade to be a deciding factor. Have to say i love the AG9. The picture is 'different' from the cx, hard to explain without seeing it but just seems much more natural and clear. More seasoned users on here will confirm that no doubt. If you won't miss 2.1 I say go for it. Pic is out of the box settings btw.
20210112_210356.jpg

techdiver

In my humble opinion the AG9 is a superior set for my requirements, movies and streaming mostly. Incredible picture quality. Not just as snappy OS wise but not enough of a downgrade to be a deciding factor. Have to say i love the AG9. The picture is 'different' from the cx, hard to explain without seeing it but just seems much more natural and clear. More seasoned users on here will confirm that no doubt. If you won't miss 2.1 I say go for it. Pic is out of the box settings btw.
View attachment 1441195

Yeah, 2.1 is not that important to me as I'm not a massive gamer. I do have an xbox but as with you the primary usage of the TV for me is Movies and TV and streaming.

I've read that the AG9 isn't as flexible on picture settings as in it copies settings across picture present whether it be SDR or HDR. Is this true?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J/A80J OLED details, Best type of Amplification, Film & TV Show News + Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

LG offers best ever OLED prices - for one week only
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony launches Bravia XR A80J OLED TVs in Europe
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Tidal streaming service acquired by Twitter/Square's Jack Dorsey
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix adds support for reduced theatrical release window