Sony AG8 Sky Q Problem

alpesh26

Standard Member
We got Sky Q (not UHD) fitted last week and since its been fitted we randomly get the info bar on our Sony 55AG8 appearing, even when watching a recording off the Sky Q box. When the banner comes up, we get a loss of sound for 2-3 seconds. This can happen quite frequently, maybe 10-15 times whilst watching a 30 min recording - so it's quite annoying.

Sky have been out today and replaced the box and HDMI cable but the issue remains. The engineer reckons its an incompatibility between the 2 devices but, I don't know at which end the issue lies.

We had Sky Q a year ago and that box was fine with this same TV. The engineer said those boxes were different (more basic) to the new ones.

Things I've tried to fix it:
  • unplugged the TV and Sky box for 60s and plugged them back in
  • turn the info bar off on the TV settings (not really a solution but a workaround, still get momentary loss of sound)
  • a new HDMI cable
  • a different HDMI input on the TV
  • removed some bloatware off the Android OS to see if it was a processor/resource issue. Made no difference to the original issue but menus on the TV navigate smoother :)
  • tried both the standard and Enhanced HDMI setting on the TV
  • setting the Sky Q resolution to 720p, 1080i and 1080p. The issue can be replicated on all these resolutions
  • changed the audio settings to normal and Dolby Digital for the HDMI output on the Sky Q box
  • updated the TV firmware as a new one was released last week

Has anyone else had this issue and what did you do to resolve it? I will raise a case with Sony also but I think they will point the finger at Sky which leaves me in no mans land!

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom