Sony AG8 (KD-55AG8) 4K OLED Review & Comments

Tim2049

And therein lies the reason they are unlikely to improve it - you still bought one.

When I bought my B7V of course I had a look at Sony's TVs and I thought they were awful then (annoyingly sluggish). However it seems this has been a long standing theme with Sony TVs - appalling UI responsiveness relative to peers.

A long time ago - (several decades) Sony were a premium brand who produced good quality AV equipment. These days they seem to be bargain basement quality with a pretty skin and a premium price tag.
Bit over the top. I bought a Sony because the OS isnt a dealbreaker. Far as I'm concerned, no other manufacturer creates a better image. Perhaps surprisingly, that's the main thing I look for in a tv.

'Bargain basement' quality tvs..(?) C'mon man, you write nonsense like that & it's hard to take any other points seriously...

Ps. I updated to Android 8 earlier this week. It's pretty snappy now. It still takes nearly half a second to respond to a key press though (shocking I know..)

iainl7

With all OLED TVs containing the same LG-supplied panel and being roughly on-par with image quality, the other differences between the TVs are really quite small. But when I bought mine last year in John Lewis, I thought I wanted the A9F for the nicer stand, pressed the remote Home button to have a fiddle around in the menus to check out motion settings etc. the delay before anything appearing was literally long enough for me to conclude I wanted the LG by the time it appeared.

kenfowler3966

Which is also why I didnt buy one last year, but with the updated software installed I am happy with the ag8's response time.

PCambo

Standard Member
Had the 55ag8 for few weeks now but noticed a little problem. After couple hours watching the picture adjusts it self and shifts over about a cm. so I end up with the frame of the tv looking twice as thick on one side. Pressing home button and then going back fixes it instantly. Just really annoying

deon444

Distinguished Member
Had the 55ag8 for few weeks now but noticed a little problem. After couple hours watching the picture adjusts it self and shifts over about a cm. so I end up with the frame of the tv looking twice as thick on one side. Pressing home button and then going back fixes it instantly. Just really annoying
That's as you have pixel shift/orbiter on. You can turn it off in the settings

PCambo

Standard Member
Yes pixel shift is on. Would u recommend leaving it on? It won’t bother me if it’s supposed to do that. Just thought my tv had a fault.

deon444

Distinguished Member
Well it's supposed to do it,so if it does not bother you keep it on. Its supposed to help to resist ir/burn but dont think it makes much difference.

PCambo

Standard Member
Il keep it on for now if it’s suppsed to help. Kids and wife have control of tv during day so don’t know what gets left on. Best be safe than sorry.

kenfowler3966

Yes I noticed mine had gone up about 10mm from the bottom tonight.
I am going to leave it on pixel shift though as not an issue to me.

PCambo

Standard Member
Anyone have recommend picture settings. Especially for motion on virgin channels. Seem to get it right for some stuff but not everything

Mike K

Anyone have recommend picture settings. Especially for motion on virgin channels. Seem to get it right for some stuff but not everything
I just use the Cinema Pro settings as advised by a Phil Hinton in the review. Left everything at the defaults apart from Brightness which I now have at 38, but it’s all down to personal preference.

I’ve got Motionflow on True Cinema and Film Mode Low. I use Sky Q mainly and haven’t noticed any problems.

iancarm112

Which is also why I didnt buy one last year, but with the updated software installed I am happy with the ag8's response time.
With the AG9, Android works as it was designed to do. Exceptionally quick. With the new remote and the quick settings button it can’t be faulted on it’s OS. I’m a happy chappy after my A1.

Mallett94

Depends on the content you are watching. I would always recommend Motionflow Custom. For TV Shows and Movies; Smoothness 0, Clearness Low/1, Film mode High/Auto. For Sport the same except Smoothness on 2 or 3.

Here is a link explicitly detailing what the Motionflow settings do => Sony Motionflow & Film mode Settings Explained (finally!)

Also what do you have your virgin box video output settings set to? I ask because the V6 box has some quirks and needs to be set in a very specific way to get the best quality.

PCambo

Standard Member
I have the virgin set to 1080i 1080p passthru 2160 pass thru and 2160

So every channel uses 1080i except the uhd channels.

Hopefully that’s the right way to do the v6

Mallett94

I have the virgin set to 1080i 1080p passthru 2160 pass thru and 2160

So every channel uses 1080i except the uhd channels.

Hopefully that’s the right way to do the v6
You'd like to think so but unfortunately, the V6 box has a bug where everything that isn't encompassed by the passthrough options, will actually be played back at the lowest resolution chosen. I.e. your uhd channels like BT sport ultimate will actually be getting downscaled to 1080i and then sent to the TV to then be upscaled again.

You should be able to test this by switching to BT Sport Ultimate on your box. If you then press info on the remote you'd hope to see it say 3840x2160p, but actually you'll see it say 1080i. The only way to actually get the true UHD channels is to untick 1080i. Of course with this basically all other TV channels will be upscaled by the virgin box not the TV so you'll have to choose which option you prefer/is the most convenient for you!!

PCambo

Standard Member
Too be fair when I change channels the info bar does change. So using btsports ultimate it says 2160p and then when I go
Back to a hd channel it says 1080i. Tried up loading a video but says file size too big

Mallett94

Too be fair when I change channels the info bar does change. So using btsports ultimate it says 2160p and then when I go
Back to a hd channel it says 1080i. Tried up loading a video but says file size too big
Okay great!

If that's the case then they must have finally gotten around to fixing the firmware, in which case you have it set up perfectly good sir! Does it says it's at 50hz 2160p on the BT Sport Ultimate channel?

PCambo

Standard Member
It just gives me the resolution but not the hz. Only time I’ve seen it give anything else is when it show 1080/24p

Trending threads

Latest news

T+A expands E-Series with PA 1100E integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins unveils new PX wireless ANC headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku Premiere streaming device with 4K HDR hits UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
CTA launches 8K UHD TV display certification programme