Sony AG8 (KD-55AG8) 4K OLED Review & Comments

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by Phil Hinton, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,458
      • Thanks Thanks x 5
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    2. zubeir

zubeir

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +540
      Great review, shame the Sony has the same woeful software issues as per. Time they ditched Android for TV's and come up with something to compete with LG WebOS.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    3. Tim2049

Tim2049

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +481
      Over emphasis on Android yet again. "It's 0.23 seconds slower clicking your Netflix button!? I'd best get a new tv then..."

Is Android 7 slightly annoying very occassionaly? Yes. Is it worth FOUR mentions and total domination of the 'disadvantages' bullet points in the review? Of course not...

This site has very questionable prioriisations at times. A TV's OS and its remote control are relatively important...but up to a point.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
      Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    4. stewjoy

stewjoy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +349
      That’s what I find now, more people are concerned about about apps and how fast they can get into them. me personally all I want is the best screen and picture. I’ve enough stuff to download and watch with Sky and Netflix.

5. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,458
      Perhaps when you live with just one TV, such as your Sony, you just don't notice these things as much. Perhaps as a reviewer who has many TVs side by side I see this more as the Sony really is annoying next to other TVs, even the Android-powered Philips it was compared with, is far better.

And we absolutely concentrate on picture quality, but a TV has many jobs to do for many different types of user and to ignore that would be a shame. So we cover everything we can for all types of user. The fact is this ships with version 7 which is pants and you have to manually update to Oreo, which is only slightly better, yet the Philips using the same thing is a far better TV, and LG, Samsung and even Panasonic do it far, far better.

So I'm sorry that as a Sony user you find we highlight the issues too much, but I wouldn't be doing the best job if I ignored it. And it is only by highlighting these issues, and others, that improvements happen to the products going forward. If we just ignored them I doubt manufacturers would make changes to improve the performance of their products. (Not just from our reviews, but the same feedback from other reviewers, owners and so on).

• Agree Agree x 12
      • Like Like x 5
      • List
    6. Jokerr

Jokerr

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +675
      I have a Sony AF9 and only time I use the remote/Android is to change picture mode. Apart from that I only watch content via Apple TV4K.

Even WIFI and BLUETOOTH is switched OFF on the AF9.

7. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,458
      If I had to own a current Sony OLED, I would do exactly the same thing.

8. Jokerr

Jokerr

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +675
      • Excellent black levels and shadow details
      • Very good above black performance

These positive highlights are very important considering the recent OLED dark scene issues, especially on 2018/19 panels.

9. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +565
      Phil is the GZ950 review coming soon;) ?

10. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,458
      I don't have the GZ950, I have a GX800 and GZ1500 currently being reviewed.

11. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +565
      That's basically the GZ950 with a soundbar that will do :thumbsup:.look forward to your review:)

12. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +565
      Phil how was input lag on the AG8 ?

13. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +52
      I get a littel confused with all the picture control options. Indeed foolishly thought smooth for movement would be best and then thought I had a faulty tv for a bit until I returned it to standard and now have superb motion handling. This tv has so many more options than my previous 5 year old 46" samnsung, which itself was pretty good for its time

Any chance of you listing the recommended settings for the options you have found best for different tv usage in HD or SD, Netflix, Amazon Prime, gaming (although I don't do that myself) etc?

14. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,458
      47ms for 1080p signals and 27ms for 4K.

15. MEGATAMA

MEGATAMA

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +144
      Only reall advance is series 9 from LG because HDMI 2.1 all others are just mild refresh of last year models.

16. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +565
      Not bad but still higher than some other brands especially the 1080p result.thanks.

17. Tim2049

Tim2049

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +481
      I very much respect the point that it does need highlighting (Sony may listen one day, right..?) and I completely agree that Sony are trailing behind the competition in this area. I would however, still argue that there's too much emphasis on it all.

My partner's £400 samsung has a smoother OS than my Sony OLED, as does a friend's C8. I'm frequently in front of both TVs so I see and 'appreciate' the differences. Regardless, it doesn't really matter...& just because their TVs will load an app a second or quicker than mine, that shouldn't play such a huge part in assessing a TV's worth.

It's a fine line. I'm glad you highlight it & I agree it's not good enough of Sony. I also believe it's very misleading to place so much emphasis on a TV's OS though. I remember you docked last year's AF8 for similar reasons and, after a year of ownership now, i can safely say that none of the 'drawbacks' you highlighted have bothered me, or been a hindrance, whatsoever.

You have your approach and I respect it, for the most part. I just happen to believe that most peoples' primary interest, by FAR, is picture quality...& I don't believe the editorial team at AVForums necessarily feel the same way.

18. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,458
      It is our number 1 interest. And that is accurate picture quality to the standards and correct pulldown of low frame rate content. We are also the only review site which points out the accuracy of the out of the box picture modes, as the majority of consumers will never pay for calibration, so they need to know how a TV performs to the standards. Again, I believe this is an area you disagree with and enjoy soap opera effect and standard picture modes? So, I'm not sure we will agree on much. I happen to believe we are the only technical review site that actually reviews the TV as a TV and not a monitor. As such we will cover the OS and smart systems as well as providing the most comprehensive picture assessment that means something to end users and not just calibrated image assessment.

19. Jaded1

Jaded1

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +30
      Agree re Android. It is literally the only reason that has taken Sony off my future TV list otherwise I would have purchased one.

20. Tim2049

Tim2049

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +481
      I really do like this site and, if I didnt like the way you did things, I wouldnt have frequented the place most days for well over a year now. I think you get a LOT right. Just not this particular element...

Guess I'm just a little bemused by some people's priorities. Feels like someone turning down a Ferrari because they're not keen on the stereo.

Anyway, I appreciate your responses irrespective of whether I agree or not. Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    21. zubeir

zubeir

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +540
      Not really acceptable, poor from Sony.
      It's not the first time Sony has had issues with Android, read the official Sony community support forums, they made a hash of software updates as well by breaking other features that were working in the first place. I love my Sony Cameras, but TVs, I wouldn't touch at the moment at that price. I will say it again, they really need to pull their finger out, can't make excuses.

22. Tim2049

Tim2049

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +481
      Indeed, it's simply not good enough. Still, i'll never understand why that factor alone can be a dealbreaker when buying a TV. Truly bewildering...

23. Jaded1

Jaded1

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +30
      I don't know why you found my post funny. The Operating System on a TV might not be important to you but it is for many others. If you're happy to put up with a sub standard OS at a premium price go ahead.

24. Coulson

Coulson

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,150
      Weird! The Oreo update has turned my TV into a very usable smart TV. From what I have read, I wouldn't begin to compare it with WebOS, but for me at least it is now very quick and responsive. I press a button and something actually happens. For Android TV that is amazing lol.

25. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +52
      My main reason for buying this set, (and because I couldn't find an unused AF8, as recommended, still available some time ago now with a decent warranty extension), was the sound system and a way to declutter our small room of soundbars, subwoofer etc.
      This sets this tv apart from all the competition as far as I can see, and minor issues like the remote cosmetic finish, (Which is anyway far better than the one on my previous Samsung), and an android system that is sometimes a little slow, are overwhelmingly countered as sound reproductiuon system is unique to Sony. Buyers that have never seen the upgraded Sony remote, won't even know they could potentially have had something better? Anyway Sony does need to have somedifferences between the AG8 and AG9 to justify their huge extra cost. From the written review it almost seems like the AG8 fairs better than the AG9 in some aspects of its picture display ability, unless I have read it wrong?
      I accept that many will stick with the supplied software until an over the air update finally arrives, but once updated it works well enough for me.

26. Coulson

Coulson

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,150
      To be fair depending on which TV you were using, Android 7 was pretty dire. Imagine waiting up to 30 seconds for your TV guide to be active or up to 15 seconds to get your picture settings. Since Oreo those delays are gone or have been significantly reduced.

27. Coulson

Coulson

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,150
      For me and I suppose for you it wasn't a deal breaker. I used the TV effectively as a HDR viewer so once it's set up I'm good. But the few times I had to go into the settings or try to watch TV it was horrible. So I totally understand how someone who uses the Smart functionality and TV a lot would not be happy with the slowest UI in the world.

The only thing that surprises me in the review is that he says Oreo is only a little faster. I can't believe a 2019 TV can run Android worse than my 2016 TV. But maybe it hasn't been optimised for the newer platform.

28. Tim2049

Tim2049

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +481
      Sorry, I do find it funny. OS is vital on a mobile phone or something, but when used to select 'AV1' or 'Netflix' on a tv...(?) If that's the be all and end all to you then ok. It's a little like people having to upgrade their phones because the successor has an extra megapixel or something. If that's your thing, fair enough...

29. Mike K

Mike K

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +13
      I've owned the AG8 for just under 3 weeks now and I absolutely love it. This is my first OLED after my Sony W905 (which was an excellent TV) died.

I use my TV mainly for sports and box sets through Sky Q and I've never had a TV that's so uniform really happy with it.

Phil - I've got my picture settings on Cinema Pro as suggested.

Would you recommend changing any of the Cinema Pro settings or just leave them on the defaults? Also as someone who only uses the TV's built in speakers is it best to set the sound settings to standard or Cinema?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

30. Tim2049

Tim2049

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +481
      I'd certainly deem those kind of delays as massively significant, absolutely. Waiting 1-3 seconds, as it currently is, could and should be better. Still, it's a minor inconvenience at most...