Sony AF9 OLED TV Owners and discussion Thread

Hmmm would be a bit annoying if the ATV4k version is handicapped as at least it's Atmos and it's easy to get access to the US content (don't really want to use the dns4me DNS on the tv although I guess it's possible , anyone tried?)

I did notice with the ATV4K app at the bottom of each title the specs are listed for each and it said DV/DA. I don’t have an Atmos receiver though so cant test if it actually outputs Atmos.

Is ATV4K currently the only device to support both DV/DA through Disney+?

Yes using dns4me smartdns and setting Disney+ to US

Is it easy enough / advisable to apply a VPN to the TV itself? Bit wary of doing so? You’re probably doing it through ATV right?

And can you confirm you are getting full res on Netflix etc e.g 15mbps on 4K stuff?

As @Jokerr pointed out above, Virgin (who I’m with) has just announced that these crackdowns are a load of bull and the network can handle it fine so I’m not about to put up with these knee jerk political moves by these streaming giants who are just looking out for good publicity and don’t want to be held accountable for anything.

Are there any simple step by step instructions on how to do the vpn thing? Do u have to created a USA address and how do u do that?

Are there any simple step by step instructions on how to do the vpn thing? Do u have to created a USA address and how do u do that?

Should be no need for all that nonsense now that we have proper Disney Plus accounts. I trialed Express VPN a couple of weeks ago and tbh it was totally fine on my iPhone an ATV. No ereason why it wont work now. All you need to do is create an account and install the app. Totally legit. Express VPN is the most trusted it seems.

Netflix USA worked fine - through my phone and ATV.

The frustration for me came when I was following instructions on how to create a Disney account with US credit cards etc. That was BEFORE we had actual legit Disney accounts. Now we do we can totally skip that step - Disney wont know if we're based here or the US.

Just understandably slightly wary of installing the Express VPN software on the TV itself in case it balls things up. Im sure it will be fine of course but I have a calibrated set and so wouldn't want to have to reset it.

Be great to know if anybody else has installed Express VPN on the TV itself? Really dont want to go via Apple TV....

Last edited:
Nope just need to pay for the VPN IP Vanish which i have ,you just choose the country USA then best server .. it works with Netflix and Disney but Amazon Prime detects it , not sure if USA content is different to UK .. also turn it off for UK catch up or it thinks you are not UK based and blocks you .. also you lose a good deal of Download / upload speed .. which is ok as i am on 360 mbps .. you get around 60 mbps Download and around 20 mbps Upload.

OK so Express VPN seems good - I can get Disney Plus US on my iPhone BUT on the TV app only Netflix seems to be 'fooled' into thinking Im in the US. Prime and Disney Plus still think Im in the UK? Contacting customer support now.

iPhone has Airplay 2 obvs so streaming Frozen II now for the kids. :)

IMG_0259.png

Nope just need to pay for the VPN IP Vanish which i have ,you just choose the country USA then best server .. it works with Netflix and Disney but Amazon Prime detects it , not sure if USA content is different to UK .. also turn it off for UK catch up or it thinks you are not UK based and blocks you .. also you lose a good deal of Download / upload speed .. which is ok as i am on 360 mbps .. you get around 60 mbps Download and around 20 mbps Upload.

Can you confirm the VPN you are using is an app through the TV? And Disney Plus is definitely the US version?

It could be Netflix/Apple/prime starts throttling USA now, because YouTube just announced drop to480p in USA.

It could be Netflix/Apple/prime starts throttling USA now, because YouTube just announced drop to480p in USA.

Possibility of course but I reckon not. Yanks are much more ardent about what they see as their 'rights' or freedoms as citizens. Plus their broadband infrastructure overall is much more robust than Europe.

I think with You Tube you still get the opportunity to switch back to full HD/4K if you wish too. Just defaults to 480p.

Last edited:
Can you confirm the VPN you are using is an app through the TV? And Disney Plus is definitely the US version?
Yes IPVanish is on the PlayStore and yes it's The US Disney + Frozen 2 is there and all episodes of Mandalorian .. Amazon Prime is the only streaming site it can not fool.

Yes IPVanish is on the PlayStore and yes it's The US Disney + Frozen 2 is there and all episodes of Mandalorian .. Amazon Prime is the only streaming site it can not fool.

You have to sign up with Amazon Prime using a US account on the US store page to watch US material.

Have any of you ever used a VPN on this TV?
Today I tried to install ExpressVpn but once installed it doesn't connect to the various servers.
On the phone, however, the app works for me without any problems.

Have any of you ever used a VPN on this TV?
Today I tried to install ExpressVpn but once installed it doesn't connect to the various servers.
On the phone, however, the app works for me without any problems.

—UPDATE— So installed the app on the ExpressVPN on the TV. It does work. Does it work well? Hmm. It’s very simple to use and you can switch it on or off whenever you want.

Netflix seems very slow to scroll and takes a while to start streaming. It DOES eventually end up streaming at full res i.e. 15mbps for 4K etc. But it takes about a minute or two to get there. Presumably because of the slower speeds going via another server in the States.

Prime doesn’t work. It’s still UK.

Disney Plus doesn’t work - I’ve contacted support about this. They say its because Disney actively blocks some of its servers. They suggest trying various other server locations which is easy to do in the app but still the same outcome so far.

So all in all it’s not really all I’d hope it would be. Might uninstall it if i can’t get it to perform properly today.

The iPhone works much better. Disney+ US woked fine. You can Airplay it to the TV though I think it’s only HD (though still looks good) so kinda defeats the purpose for me. 😩

On the upside they refund you if you aren’t satisfied.

—UPDATE— So installed the app on the ExpressVPN on the TV. It does work. Does it work well? Hmm. It’s very simple to use and you can switch it on or off whenever you want.

Netflix seems very slow to scroll and takes a while to start streaming. It DOES eventually end up streaming at full res i.e. 15mbps for 4K etc. But it takes about a minute or two to get there. Presumably because of the slower speeds going via another server in the States.

Prime doesn’t work. It’s still UK.

Disney Plus doesn’t work - I’ve contacted support about this. They say its because Disney actively blocks some of its servers. They suggest trying various other server locations which is easy to do in the app but still the same outcome so far.

So all in all it’s not really all I’d hope it would be. Might uninstall it if i can’t get it to perform properly today.

The iPhone works much better. Disney+ US woked fine. You can Airplay it to the TV though I think it’s only HD (though still looks good) so kinda defeats the purpose for me. 😩

On the upside they refund you if you aren’t satisfied.

What internet connection do you use? Internet or wireless?
In fact, when I try to activate a server on ExpressVPN I get the message on my TV "no ethernet connection" and I can't connect to any available server.

What internet connection do you use? Internet or wireless?
In fact, when I try to activate a server on ExpressVPN I get the message on my TV "no ethernet connection" and I can't connect to any available server.

WiFi. That’s strange it doesn’t seem to be working for you at all. I take it you’ve signed up and have a full account? Maybe try uninstalling and reinstall?

Otherwise if you still feel it’s worth pursuing contact customer service. To be fair they’re very prompt and try to resolve any issues.

—UPDATE— Tried again with Express VPN getting Disney+ US to work. It now works!!!!

I found a workaround - uninstalling the Disney+ app, reinstalling then switching on the VPN US location before opening Disney+ for the first time. Works like a dream! Full fat 4K movies etc streaming absolutely fine. You can also switch it on or off any time you want so can revert back to normal at the click of a button.

I urge anyone else to try this who is miffed with the draconian (and frankly unnecessary in the U.K.) throttling going on. Its surprisingly simple, legal and works perfectly. Plus refund is available within 30 days.

Last edited:
—UPDATE— Tried again with Express VPN getting Disney+ US to work. It now works!!!!

I found a workaround - uninstalling the Disney+ app, reinstalling then switching on the VPN US location before opening Disney+ for the first time. Works like a dream! Full fat 4K movies etc streaming absolutely fine. You can also switch it on or off any time you want so can revert back to normal at the click of a button.

I urge anyone else to try this who is miffed with the draconian (and frankly unnecessary in the U.K.) throttling going on. Its surprisingly simple, legal and works perfectly. Plus refund is available within 30 days.
Yes make sure you have set your VPN ON then the relevant app .. it does work other than on Amazon Prime.

Has anyone bought the Sony 2019 remote from SpectraUK.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom