Sony AF9 OLED TV Owners and discussion Thread

i never said updating firmware is a bad thing? Hit update software on your TV. Simple.

What you’re talking about is the equivalent of putting a playstation firmware on a switch because someone realised it was possible then expecting nintendo to fix it when something goes wrong.

Sony will not fix this if it goes wrong. It doesn’t matter how much you ‘feel’ they should.

When you do an update of firmware of anything you get some sort of disclaimer. It doesn't put anyone off from doing it ? Its a standard disclaimer.

PS4 firmware would never load on a Nintendo switch. If you tried it the FW wouldn't even be recognised and be instantly rejected.

PS3 FW wont load on a PS4 either.

The fact that someone has now discovered A9F and AG9 are interchangeable in the US simply by plugging a USB in means Sony themselves didn't put a checksum or whatever lock on it to prevent it.

As an ex owner of a Sony platinum repair centre. Most engineers wouldn't give a toss. And would want paying for the job so wouldn't look "too" hard.

Warrenty claims are an ass to start with. They wont wont an arguement with a customer on top.

I'd bet unless the set went back to sony then I wouldn't worry.

And the chances of it goingback to sony are....Well we never sent a set back to them in 20+years
Even when we were instrumental in finding stock faults etc. it was down to us to report.

I concur. That's been my experience over the years as well.

No way would I 'upgrade' to an AG8 from an AF9. Save your money and wait for the next gen which will likely have HDMI 2.1 support for the new Playstation/Xbox.

In reading around yesterday on the topic of Apple TV+ and Sony Android TV , I hadn’t realised that Sony have never actually said which specific sets will get the Apple TV+ app. They have said which specific sets will get AirPlay 2, but they haven’t said this for the App (yet). And we know from the Fire TV/Roku that AirPlay 2 is not required to get the App; ie more Sony sets might get the app than will get AirPlay 2. If someone has a link contradicting this please do let me know.

Otherwise, maybe there is still hope for the AF9 getting the ATV+ app. After all, it has the same chipset and RAM as the AG9, so performance can’t be an argument for holding it back.

No way would I 'upgrade' to an AG8 from an AF9. Save your money and wait for the next gen which will likely have HDMI 2.1 support for the new Playstation/Xbox.

Yeah the main argument for the AF9 vs the AF8 back in the olden days was the AF9 had the much better OS and also the faster X1 Ultimate processor - and some more bells and whistles as a result.

Now we have the AG8 it has the same OS as the AF9 but still the old X1 Extreme processor and not considered in the 'Master Series'. So all in all probably a step down from the AF9 still although newer.

I know it has larger bandwidth capabilities but what real world benefit would HDMI 2.1 bring with the PS5? HDMI 2.0 already has the ability to show 60FPS at up to 8K. Any more would be overkill or not utilised at this stage surely?

Hi guys - I'm just looking for some advice... I've had my AF9 for 6 months or so and love it, up until today it's been faultless. Problem is I came home tonight and started to watch TV and noticed something was off, I switched to an unused input as that displays the fairly uniform grey and this is what it looks like...

unnamed.jpg

It's not moved from the wall mount since I bought it, and I've not been watching anything with that sort of image that could have caused screen burn. The banding remains whatever is displayed so I'm pretty sure its the physical screen.

It definitely wasn't like that yesterday, that band on the right hand side cuts right down the middle of the menus and I happened to check the input settings so would have noticed it straight away. Any ideas?

Hi guys - I'm just looking for some advice... I've had my AF9 for 6 months or so and love it, up until today it's been faultless. Problem is I came home tonight and started to watch TV and noticed something was off, I switched to an unused input as that displays the fairly uniform grey and this is what it looks like...

View attachment 1216855

It's not moved from the wall mount since I bought it, and I've not been watching anything with that sort of image that could have caused screen burn. The banding remains whatever is displayed so I'm pretty sure its the physical screen.

It definitely wasn't like that yesterday, that band on the right hand side cuts right down the middle of the menus and I happened to check the input settings so would have noticed it straight away. Any ideas?

Hi, my (55) AF9 developed a band like that after that sort of time. I did a manual pixel refresh, which didn’t sort it, but some 6 months later or so it has settled down again. And now it’s unnoticeable.

So I’ve experienced the so called “aging” effect of OLED. While my panel is far from perfect in grey screens it has returned to nothing being visible on real content.

I really don’t want to perturb you though from a warranty swap if that’s the way you’d prefer to go.

I get this occasionally and I’d bet most people do with this set. Some subtle sharp vertical bands. It comes and goes.

Think it’s something to do with the overnight refresh or whatever the panel does. It’s usually never noticeable in content but sometimes it’ll be noticeable on a blank menu screen or a 5-10% grey. Sometimes it’s quite apparent on this type of screen. Most of the time it isn’t. Hardly ever notice it on actual content. Bit annoying but because it isn’t ‘permanent’ as such I don’t let it trouble me too much.

My set got banding once in a while after a comp cycle. Would be close to perfect then after a comp cycle vertical banding would show. Be there for a couple of days then would go away again.

Annoying when it happens but got used to it.

View attachment 1216855

If your af9 stays this way after the next 'auto compensation cycle' you can try the manual panel update to see if it can help, but only use this function if it doesn't go away in a day or two.

My af9 also sometimes has very subtle banding one day, but then gone next day, happened more on the first six months than now, had it almost for a year now.

Just a quick thought/question regarding the announcement that some not so old Samsung tv's (2016 was it?) no longer have Netflix - how likely is that sort of thing likely to be with our Sony's? Our last Panasonic plasma lasted for 10 yrs, and we only updated to an AF9 because the ARC port flaked out so I couldn't use my surround set up. I was hoping that this tv would last similarly long. My worry now is that, as with Android phones, if you end up on an older version of Android, apps may no longer be supported, and I'm not holding my breath that the AF9 will get a newer version past Oreo whereas Android 10 is already here....anyone else thinking this way?

Just a quick thought/question regarding the announcement that some not so old Samsung tv's (2016 was it?) no longer have Netflix - how likely is that sort of thing likely to be with our Sony's? Our last Panasonic plasma lasted for 10 yrs, and we only updated to an AF9 because the ARC port flaked out so I couldn't use my surround set up. I was hoping that this tv would last similarly long. My worry now is that, as with Android phones, if you end up on an older version of Android, apps may no longer be supported, and I'm not holding my breath that the AF9 will get a newer version past Oreo whereas Android 10 is already here....anyone else thinking this way?

If the worst comes to the worst you only have to buy a cheap media player or an Apple TV etc to keep using your set. Certainly cheaper than upgrading the TV if you don't want to.

Unrelated, but I'm finding my AF9 is showing a lot more banding in 'grey' media now - playing Death Stranding right now, and you can see a ton of remnants of past content on there. That first manual compensation cycle must be nearing.

If the worst comes to the worst you only have to buy a cheap media player or an Apple TV etc to keep using your set. Certainly cheaper than upgrading the TV if you don't want to.

Unrelated, but I'm finding my AF9 is showing a lot more banding in 'grey' media now - playing Death Stranding right now, and you can see a ton of remnants of past content on there. That first manual compensation cycle must be nearing.
How long have you had your set for? After how many hours do you get the panel refresh notification?

Some details of the Apple TV app on Tech Hive that may be of interest:

“The Apple TV+ experience on these devices (Sony, LG, Samsung etc) does have some notable limitations: While Apple is supporting 4K HDR on all platforms, it’s only offering Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision on its own hardware.”

If this is true it means the Apple TV device itself will always be the preferred way to view content from Apple. No point holding out for the TV app in that case.

Some details of the Apple TV app on Tech Hive that may be of interest:

“The Apple TV+ experience on these devices (Sony, LG, Samsung etc) does have some notable limitations: While Apple is supporting 4K HDR on all platforms, it’s only offering Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision on its own hardware.”

If this is true it means the Apple TV device itself will always be the preferred way to view content from Apple. No point holding out for the TV app in that case.

Interesting to know. I’ve watched all four episodes of the morning show so far and it does look spectacular. Looking forward to sitting down with for all mankind soon.

I have decided to get my af9 calibrated at the beginning of 2020, anyone have experience with if you think your set looks pretty phenomenal already out of the box(did a few tweaks myself though) but looking forward to how much more it can be improved.

Cheers

I have decided to get my af9 calibrated at the beginning of 2020, anyone have experience with if you think your set looks pretty phenomenal already out of the box(did a few tweaks myself though) but looking forward to how much more it can be improved.

Cheers

I haven't had mine done professionally, but purchased a colorimeter and the Autocal software and did it myself. Even using a relatively budget meter, the results are ridiculously good. So yes, it is definitely worth it. The biggest difference I found was how accurate colours were compared to out of the box, in particular skin tones, but also there was an improvement in shadow detail etc. No real point having a TV as good as this and *not* having it done IMO.

I haven't had mine done professionally, but purchased a colorimeter and the Autocal software and did it myself. Even using a relatively budget meter, the results are ridiculously good. So yes, it is definitely worth it. The biggest difference I found was how accurate colours were compared to out of the box, in particular skin tones, but also there was an improvement in shadow detail etc. No real point having a TV as good as this and *not* having it done IMO.

Thanks for the Lovely response mate, exactly what i needed to hear, i had the same thought, I think my af9 is a bit too warm (skin tones) but i cant know before seeing how it is after calibration.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom