Sony AF9 OLED TV Owners and discussion Thread

wow. How did you describe the problem to them? I am just curious to know.

hope they do a good job repair or replacement.
Just said I have a large blob on my screen which can be seen on all content and in menus. They say the usual turn it of and factory reset. Did tell them I have done 2 manual refreshes with zero effect.

contemplating on getting this, could be some of the last batches of af9‘s in my area, i feel the price is still a bit high.

another thing is that i have 55b7, its been in perfect working order since day 1. though i did find black artifacting on some content but after a factory reset and new hdmi cables, the issue has gone away.

we have been a sony tv household ever since, and want to go back just for the 3.2 acoustic surface* sound set up with the af9
4F2FC987-2FAB-430D-8D0E-5409F539019C.jpeg

Well it seems my panel has gone the way of the dodo:confused:.. played gears of war the other night,then had put on a old plasma retention pattern to clear any ir if any before I turn it of and for the tv to do it's own comp cycle.

Turned it on last night to watch a bit of Netflix, and there was a big blob top left of the screen.

Phoned currys this morning and explained the problem,and they have said they will pick it up tomorrow for repair. Didn't even need to show them these pics. So cant really fault their service once again. Just hope the repair is a good standard.

View attachment 1205012View attachment 1205013View attachment 1205014View attachment 1205025

Also has a few dead pixels around that area as well
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Genuine nightmare fuel.

if I remember rightly with the A1 and the AF9 they don’t repair they will just replace once the have it and confirm the fault
Well it seems my panel has gone the way of the dodo:confused:.. played gears of war the other night,then had put on a old plasma retention pattern to clear any ir if any before I turn it of and for the tv to do it's own comp cycle.

Turned it on last night to watch a bit of Netflix, and there was a big blob top left of the screen.

Phoned currys this morning and explained the problem,and they have said they will pick it up tomorrow for repair. Didn't even need to show them these pics. So cant really fault their service once again. Just hope the repair is a good standard.

View attachment 1205012View attachment 1205013View attachment 1205014View attachment 1205025

Also has a few dead pixels around that area as well
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

if I remember rightly with the A1 and the AF9 they don’t repair they will just replace once the have it and confirm the fault

Yes but they might replace with a certified refurbished unit....

Isn't the 5 year warranty coverer by Sony themselves ?

I doubt Currys would have any stock left and they may refer to Sony ?

No if curry’s are collecting it, it will stay in house, like JL curry’s deal with warranty’s themselves, he’s more likely to be offered a ag9 or another model

No if curry’s are collecting it, it will stay in house, like JL curry’s deal with warranty’s themselves, he’s more likely to be offered a ag9 or another model
I've had JL refer back to the manufacturers for resolution in the past. Not so sure about Currys though as never dealt with them.

Either way there won't be much if any new AF9 stock available now. I doubt they or Sony will attempt repair it.

It's a currys 5 year warranty, as I needed to phone and set the warranty up as they said it comes with a 1 years manufacturer's warranty and they provide the other 4 years. Pretty much same as what John Lewis do.

Whether they will try and repair is another thing.

But if they replace it's always with a new unit and not a refurb,or they will give you a voucher to buy another set yourself.

Hi
On the very edge of picking one up tomorrow
My concern, well two

I have a bright lounge, will it be better to get the Qled90 ??

Is the apple app coming and if not, is there a reasonable price 4K player to matchup

thank you

Hi
On the very edge of picking one up tomorrow
My concern, well two

I have a bright lounge, will it be better to get the Qled90 ??

Is the apple app coming and if not, is there a reasonable price 4K player to matchup

thank you

if it is a very very bright room and you don’t want to draw curtains then Samsung QLED is good safe choice due to the anti reflective glare they use and tv brightness. Although i personally would PREFER AF9/AG9 and draw the curtains as i also have a bright room.

Apple might announce a new AppleTV4k in October. Purely speculative, but just a point to consider.

Could someone do me a favour? Anyone with an Apple TV 4K, fire up El Camino on Netflix, then jump to a reasonably dark sequence and keep your eye on the bottom black bar - I get this very strange flickering actually in the black bar itself. Did the same thing in Mindhunter S2 so I'm thinking it is a Dolby Vision problem with the ATV4K.

Any one know what the ‘sound settings’ do on the telly? Through the action menu? Standard, music, dialogue etc? Apart from the obvious....

Not sure what the optimum setting is for general content if you’re watching say Netflix through the TV via the amplifier and a 3.1 system? Standard or cinema?

I have it at cinema just now which is supposed to be optimised for surround sound. However I dont have surround sound. Just a 3.1. But is it still better to have this on? No idea what it actually does.

I set it to this some time ago but not sure if it was intentional.

@deon444 crazy pictures - bad luck. I’m sure you a shoe in for a replacement but I appreciate it sucks to be thrown back into the panel lottery.

For what it’s worth, when I sent my A1 off for a panel fault I spoke at length to the (officially sanctioned) Sony repair people and they confirmed that for panel issues nothing can be done except replace the whole set. Assume AF9 is the same. While I’m not proud of it from an environmental perspective, I must admit this is reason to buy Sony for me. Wouldn’t like the idea of it essentially being dismantled and put back together for a panel replacement, as I know LG do for some models.

No Apple app for the AF9. Sony have never mentioned bringing it to this model TV. But you could buy and Apple TV 4K.

It's a currys 5 year warranty, as I needed to phone and set the warranty up as they said it comes with a 1 years manufacturer's warranty and they provide the other 4 years. Pretty much same as what John Lewis do.

Whether they will try and repair is another thing.

But if they replace it's always with a new unit and not a refurb,or they will give you a voucher to buy another set yourself.
Sorry to hear about the AF9 will you be hoping that they fix it or try another GZ2000 if sound issue is sorted.. whatever way it goes all the best.

Sorry to hear about the AF9 will you be hoping that they fix it or try another GZ2000 if sound issue is sorted.. whatever way it goes all the best.
Well now as it has failed just over a years use,I have lost faith in it. So would hope I have a choice of exchange,or a voucher. But if not a Af9 then yes,a Gz2000

Could someone do me a favour? Anyone with an Apple TV 4K, fire up El Camino on Netflix, then jump to a reasonably dark sequence and keep your eye on the bottom black bar - I get this very strange flickering actually in the black bar itself. Did the same thing in Mindhunter S2 so I'm thinking it is a Dolby Vision problem with the ATV4K.

Thanks for reminding me that was out. I watched it tonight on Apple TV Netflix app and no flickering here. I did notice a slight judder every 49 seconds though so guessing its 24p.

Great movie btw. and looked absolutely spectacular on the AF9z Wish I’d watched Breaking Bad more recently though, I had to spend some time on google afterward figuring out who people were. Lol.

Thanks for reminding me that was out. I watched it tonight on Apple TV Netflix app and no flickering here. I did notice a slight judder every 49 seconds though so guessing its 24p.

Great movie btw. and looked absolutely spectacular on the AF9z Wish I’d watched Breaking Bad more recently though, I had to spend some time on google afterward figuring out who people were. Lol.

Damn, that is worrying then. Thanks for checking.

Do you have frame rate matching enabled on the Apple TV?

Damn, that is worrying then. Thanks for checking.

Do you have frame rate matching enabled on the Apple TV?

Yes. Both match settings are on. I forget the exact details of the ATV 24p bug. It shows up every now and again. I wonder if Netflix app on TV would have fixed it.

Just came on to post the same thing. Weird how no one else on the web seems to have seen it. I had it too in an episode of black mirror once also in dolby vision but I think that was on my old LG oled.

One black flicker I do notice is the iTunes version of endgame 1080p SD. At the end of the climatic battle (no spoilers) when the music swells and it slowly fades to black.. it flickers noticeably. I don’t know if it’s the OLED panel near black flicker thing just bad encoding on the files part. All the more reason for Disney 4K iTunes films to happen soon. :)

Just came on to post the same thing. Weird how no one else on the web seems to have seen it. I had it too in an episode of black mirror once also in dolby vision but I think that was on my old LG oled.

Thank you! At least I know that my AF9 is not at fault. I only see it during the really darker moments (and I was watching in the dark at the time) but it was very disconcerting seeing the black borders flickering away. I'm guessing it is Dolby Vision related, as Mindhunter season 2 was encoded in DV too.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom