Sony AF9 OLED TV Owners and discussion Thread

Tried NowTV with Boost on AF9. Freezes and crashes every day. Have to manually FORCE STOP in AF9 TV Setting for NOWTV.

Works fine on AppleTV4k but only stereo not 5.1. HD is supported.

Merry Christmas AF9 owners!

WiFi connection all good here.

Does anyone know why watching Dolby vision shows on the inbuilt Netflix app for example, looks a lot better than on Apple TV 4K? Not just a bit but way better.

Does anyone know why watching Dolby vision shows on the inbuilt Netflix app for example, looks a lot better than on Apple TV 4K? Not just a bit but way better.
The Sony TVs prior to the XR Chipset could only do Low Latency Dolby Vision via external HDMI devices. The native apps were capable of player led Dolby Vision which is superior.

Anybody able to recommend a properly working usb3 to Ethernet adaptor that I can use on my AF9 to get the full 1gb WiFi speed. Vincent suggested a Cable Matters one that I tried but my AF9 wouldn’t even recognise that it was plugged into the usb 3 port.

I think they say the native apps are capable of "TV led" DV and externals are player led.
Yeah typo on my part. Low Latency DV = Player Led, 'Full Fat DV' = TV Led. 👌🏻

Is BBCIPLAYER only available via the YouView App now?
I tried it and picture is stretched. I don’t use a TV Ariel.

Picture has been oddly slightly zoomed in for a long time and I don't expect they will ever fix it, given how long it has been like that. Shouldn't be stretched though.

iplayer, as far as I know, is still part of Sony Select apps. You don't have to use youview or have an aerial to my knowledge.

Picture has been oddly slightly zoomed in for a long time and I don't expect they will ever fix it, given how long it has been like that. Shouldn't be stretched though.

iplayer, as far as I know, is still part of Sony Select apps. You don't have to use youview or have an aerial to my knowledge.
Hi UltiResis. I have not been able to start iPlayer via SONY Select for 6 months. The same time iPlayer because stretched. Only way to launch is via YouView in which picture is unwatchable because it’s stretched.

I can watch ok via my AppleTV4k but no HLG HDR. The Tourist is HLG HDR.

They should be compatible, but I can't see that they have been released as an accessory yet. The 2020 tvs are only just being released so, we should start seeing them for sale in the next couple of months.

From what others have said on this forum the Sony RMF-TX600E from the AG9 works and the only difference I can see on the new one is that it's backlit.
Got RMF-TX600E yesterday and it works excellent. In standard mode everything except the microphone works. In Bluetooth mode everything works perfect and you can control the TV from another room. :thumbsup:
15427.jpg

Hi UltiResis. I have not been able to start iPlayer via SONY Select for 6 months. The same time iPlayer because stretched. Only way to launch is via YouView in which picture is unwatchable because it’s stretched.

I can watch ok via my AppleTV4k but no HLG HDR. The Tourist is HLG HDR.
I do use an aerial and youview but can also start the app from Sony Select so perhaps it does require it for it to work. I'd still say it isn't stretched but is slightly zoomed in so I lose some of the picture top, bottom, left and right. It is the same on the A8, A80 and it would seem on the A90J as well.

Last edited:
I do use an aerial and youview but can also start the app from Sony Select so perhaps it does require it for it to work. I'd still say it isn't stretched but is slightly zoomed in so I lose some of the picture top, bottom, left and right. It is the same on the A8, A80 and it would seem on the A90J as well.
If you turn on Freeview, then change the picture settings display size to like +1 or full screen/pixel or whatever it is, then if you load iPlayer direct from having been on the internal tuner, iPlayer inherits the picture mode settings from the most recent 'source' on the TV i.e. it will inherit the picture mode settings from Freeview HD which includes the corrected overscan picture size setting.

I hope this makes sense and helps 👌🏻

Is this supposed to work if I set it when using the youview as I don't use the standard freeview guide/system?

I've only got options for -1, Normal or +1. I have it set to normal. If I go to +1 I get a black border all the way around all SD channels, -1 zooms in a bit on the SD channels so I lose some of the image and normal displays correctly on everything but iPlayer. If I go into the display settings when in iPlayer then all the settings options are greyed out and cannot be changed.

Is this supposed to work if I set it when using the youview as I don't use the standard freeview guide/system?

I've only got options for -1, Normal or +1. I have it set to normal. If I go to +1 I get a black border all the way around all SD channels, -1 zooms in a bit on the SD channels so I lose some of the image and normal displays correctly on everything but iPlayer. If I go into the display settings when in iPlayer then all the settings options are greyed out and cannot be changed.
+1 is the correct setting to get rid of overscan. It will carry through to iPlayer as well which needs overscan disabled.

Wow you still watch SD channels? 😔 I almost exclusively only watch HD channels on Freeview. SD quality is insulting to me haha. Hopefully maybe you can overlook the slight black border on SD channels from the +1 setting???

I watch SD only on channels where there is no HD. I only get HD on channels 1-5 (or rather 101-105). I wish everything was HD or 4k.

Nah the black border is not something I want all the time...

Just noticed something... On HD channels I have the option of full pixel in display area settings. This wasn't available before (presumably I was on an SD channel when I tried this the last time). Photo shows ITV HD set on full pixel...

Attachments

• 20220105_105148.jpg
    20220105_105148.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 30
I'm a bit confused with this...Iplayer when on the Home screen of the iplayer app fills the screen correctly but usually when I play anything the logo is tight to the edge of the screen and it's zoomed in so I'm losing part of the image.

After going from a HD channel to apps, Sony Select, iplayer it appears that iplayer is displayed correctly.

So does this mean every time I go to iplayer I have to do it from a HD channel otherwise it will change the display setting from full pixel to normal and screw up iplayer? What about when I want to click on something directly from the youview guide to go to iplayer and play it on catch up, is it going to be zoomed unless I first go to an HD channel, then open iplayer and manually find what I want to watch from within iplayer? Oh, and why does it do this in iplayer but doesn't do this with any of the other catch up apps such as my5 or itv player etc?

Hope this makes sense and appreciate the help trying to get my head around this!

Last edited:
I'm a bit confused with this...Iplayer when on the Home screen of the iplayer app fills the screen correctly but usually when I play anything the logo is tight to the edge of the screen and it's zoomed in so I'm losing part of the image.

After going from a HD channel to apps, Sony Select, iplayer it appears that iplayer is displayed correctly.

So does this mean every time I go to iplayer I have to do it from a HD channel otherwise it will change the display setting from full pixel to normal and screw up iplayer? What about when I want to click on something directly from the youview guide to go to iplayer and play it on catch up, is it going to be zoomed unless I first go to an HD channel, then open iplayer and manually find what I want to watch from within iplayer? Oh, and why does it do this in iplayer but doesn't do this with any of the other catch up apps such as my5 or itv player etc?

Hope this makes sense and appreciate the help trying to get my head around this!
What you've said is pretty much correct. Always load iPlayer from watching an HD channel and you're golden 👌🏻

OK thanks for confirming. Seems a bit stupid and cumbersome but at least I know now. The odd thing is, it didn't used to be like this, an app update or firmware caused this some time ago so I don't understand why they would have changed it.

If you turn on Freeview, then change the picture settings display size to like +1 or full screen/pixel or whatever it is, then if you load iPlayer direct from having been on the internal tuner, iPlayer inherits the picture mode settings from the most recent 'source' on the TV i.e. it will inherit the picture mode settings from Freeview HD which includes the corrected overscan picture size setting.

I hope this makes sense and helps 👌🏻
Thank you. Can i do this without an Ariel?
How do you turn in Freeview on AF9?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom